Dedicated Line

Username: Sarius

Post Number: 9
Hi,

I'm going to be adding two 20 amp dedicated lines to my listening room. I was wondering what words of advice you-all might offer to assure I'll be getting the most out of the investment?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1469
In this country we tend to put in a 30-amp line or better. The 30-amp solution is easy because it's a cooker rating. However, it's not unheard of to have higher ratings put in. It seems that the bigger the pipe the better the result.

Some quarters will tell you that it's better to have multiple spurs, and others will say it's better to have a single larger spur. The argument for the former is that you would distribute your electronics such that your power amps would be able to draw as much as is required. The alternative view holds that the multiple spurs cause earthing problems and raise the noise floor.

I'm inclined to believe the latter view, but there are lots of people out there who have done a lot of work on the multi-spur option. Either way, I'd urge you to ask your electrician if larger spurs can be accommodated. My understanding is that a 60-amp (16mm2) spur is meant to be the real McCoy, but a real b1tch to lay down.

Always defer to the electrician of course, but you should question him too.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us