SYSTEMDEK IIX Power Conversion Possible?

Username: Rockett

Santee, CA United States

Post Number: 5
I have seen several recent opportunities to buy SYSTEMDEK turntables at auction for what I think are attractive prices for what you appear to be getting for your money.
I can't seem to find much really good info on this brand and I'm not familiar with it. The decks appear to range from very nice, plain looking (models IIX and Dunlop 920) to an esoteric high-end looking piece (model II) which looks like a spaceship that just landed. They all have heavy glass platters and some have nice tonearms names like Profile, Moth and Rega.
Still these decks don't seem to fetch very much at auction for what they appear to be worth. Am I missing something important that makes these deck less valuable or collectable?

Many of these decks however are 220v/50Hz versions.So I have a few questions for the experts out there.

1. Are the decks worth looking at for $200 and up?
(sans arm)
2. Can the 220v/50Hz versions (which seem to go for slightly less than average) be easily convetrted to 110v/60Hz?

3. If they can be converted, what's your best guess on how much that's going to cost? Might I be better off spending the extra for a 110v version?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1460
AFAIK, the only difference between the II and the IIX is that the X had an electronic speed control. This improved the sound of the deck quite a bit over the standard II, but they looked identical otherwise. There was a model I which was slightly different in looks, but a spaceship? Sounds more like a transcriptors or Michell to me...

Originally, there was an option that could be bought for the Systemdek which was a lexan platter (again, I think the option came from Audio Note). The glass platter was good, but the lexan platter lowered the noise floor and seemed to give the deck more grip. The II deck retailed for similar money to the Rega Planar 3 but it was more complicated since it had a basic suspension system in it. It was often paired with the Linn Basik or Basik+ arm and a Linn cartridge (K5/K9/K18). It was also paired often with the Rega RB300 tonearm which also worked well. It was different in character to the Rega deck being a little more rhythmic and having a bit more swing, although the Rega came back with its upbeat character and timing. They were good strong competition to each other.

It is not easy to get Systemdek spare parts. The belt shouldn't be a problem, but I believe the Papst motor that was used is not made any more. As for the electronic speed control, that would have to be serviced by a competent technician, but Lord only knows if it's easy to work on or not.

Systemdek were originally Dunlop. After they went the way of the dodo, the remains of the company were bought by Peter Qvortrop of Audio Note UK. He transformed the production machinery and the decks to make the Audio Note Model I and Model II (2-motor deck). Have a look at http://www.audionote.co.uk for more info on the new decks, which are - incidentally - a lot more money than the Rega P3, but then they have been worked over quite a bit.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Rockett

Santee, CA United States

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the info. But the big question remains.

Can the motor on these 220v/50Hz SYSTEMDEK turntables be converted to 110v/60Hz?

If not I would need to replace the motor. Any idea on a suitable substitute, source and cost?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us