ELAC Lab-60 Turntable

Username: Rockett

Santee, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Made for Realistic, This ELAC Lab-60 was just aquired on ebay and I'm sure will need a little TLC to get it back in shape. My gut tells me it should sound pretty decent then, but I suppose I should leave that call to my ears. Does anyone out there have any experience with this brand/ model and can tell me if it's worth my time money and effort to restore it and find out? Any clue to when it was made or how I can determine that by looking? If I'm to continue this project I will also need info on where I might get my hands on owners & service manuals for this thing. A point of contact or website with a resident expert to seek advice from would be just as good.
I'm sure this won't be the last question I have about this turntable but it will be for this post. Any suggestions for a replacement cartridge?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8687
Off hand I don't recognize the model number. Was this meant to be a rim drive changer? What sort of tonearm does this have? 10" or 12" platter? And, why did you buy this table if you know nothing about it? Are you in the mood to pay for something else you know nothing about?

Username: Rockett

Santee, CA United States

Post Number: 2
Well maybe, what have you got?
I'll have more info when it is delivered. I got it off ebay for $12.50 + $12.00 S&H.
I'm sure it's not a rim drive changer. It was made in West Germany (I'm guessing mid to late 60's) so I'm pretty sure it's a belt drive. You can get a look at it if you check out the ebay web page below.:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9736674513%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT%26
Let me know what you think.

Bronze Member
Username: Okiecaver

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 51
You scored a goodie!

The big Elacs are on par with Dual in being "multi-play turntables" rather than "changers". You can get the idler wheel replaced and the mechanisim cleaned and re-lubed to make it perform good as new.

In addition, they can play 78's with the approriate stylus/cartidge combo. I'd look at a Shure or Audio Technica with a fairly robust assemby, since that tone arm is not exactly low mass.

Enoy your new treasure!

Brock
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us