NAD C372 connection to Von Schweikert VR-S/1 mini-sub

Username: Thales41

Post Number: 1
Hi Group ___

1. Been running 372 with Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors for about 2 years, very good sound, perhaps a bit shy on bass with the bookshelfs. Thinking of getting subject mini-sub. What would be the best way to connect? Can I connect to 'Speaker B' on 372, or would that be a bad idea?

2. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2941
In fact, Janet, I think the speaker level connection is recommended over line level when possible.
That would work nicely with say, a REL sealed sub(8 or 10) for good effect.
These are downfiring subs and are not too picky about placement.
The powered subs come in a huge variety(as I am currently finding out), your fine Von's might benefit from a good sub like the rel or maybe a 10" Velodyne, which has EQ qualities of its own.
Some people say the EQ in the Velo is worth the money alone.

Good luck, let us know!

Username: Kugs22

Post Number: 1
I also have a 372, and despite Nuck's correct statement about the preference for speaker level connections by REL and others, I found the line level interconnects from the pre-out far superior for use with the subs I have; richer, lower, more detail. Like everything else, you never know until you try. My advice (FWIW) is to purchase two subs, not one, if you have the room for them. In my old days of 20k equipment, I used to have a REL storm, a REL stratus, etc., but never two at once. This time around, I got a couple of much cheaper subs, one for each side of the room. The difference is astounding. Bass is not localized, and the spacial information from good recordings is breathtaking. Because you don't work the subs as hard, you really do get better bass, less prone to "boom." I just can't say enough about this set up. If you don't believe me, find Doug Blackburn's article on this subject in the old Soundstage archives. Good luck with your choice. Once you have a good sub (or two!), you'll wonder how you ever listened to your monitors without it/them.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 111
Hi,

When I ran my little receiver and my 8" sub. I ran it off the speaker level for many years and was happy. Them I picked up a set of cables to jump the pre/main on the receviver. I was a cool little cable, it let me bridge the jump and also gave me a pre out run to the sub. Running the sub off the pre out was much better. Much tighter bass and louder if I wanted. I guess it's a more direct route. Not distorted by the receiver amp, then re-amped in the powered sub.

If you go for the pre out route, make sure you buy a powered sub and not passive. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3134
Uh, guys, the 372 has no sub out.

So Yes, Janet, the speaker level inputs are appropriate for the sub.
Check the sub you might want to get for speaker level outputs to maintain flexibility for the future.

Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3135
I didn't see it in the specs

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 118
The NAD 372 has a pre-out, not a sub-out.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 119
From NAD:

Main-amp input & 2 pre-amp outputs.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C372_framset.htm

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 120
Also the second pre-out on the 372 is variable. Just like the 162 pre.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3139
Is the second pre out assignable as a sub out with bass cutoff?
Thats where i didnt get the pre out as compared to speaker level out.
Then, yeah, the pre-out will work properly, given the 2-into-1 for mono.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3423
Pre outs are the same as sub outs you simply adjust the sub using it's own controls. Ofcourse you run the seapkers full range. This way of connecting a sub works best for most. There are however exceptions like the REL's.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 125
My old sub only had one in for an RCA, it was supposed to be hooked up to a (mono) sub out from a receiver. Back then HT receivers were very new, no 5.1 then. I ran only the right into my sub. Sounded fine. I compared to the left and no difference. Seems bass at those levels is in mono. I tried a Y RCA (2 into 1) at the sub, and it put my entire system in mono!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3150
Doh!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us