Paradigm Studio 100 or Martin Logan Aeon-i

Bronze Member
Username: Tomcat

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 25
On Gavin's advice I went to checkout Martin Logan's Vignette and Fresco series to go with my Plasma. I listened to Vignette but did not like it due to shallow bass. They did not have Fresco but I assume it would not be a whole lot better.

So I listened to their electrostatic ESL series Vista and I was blown away. They have the discontinued floor model Aeon-i for $2000 a pair and it sounded great.

Here are my questions.

1. I had pretty much decided on Paradigm Studio 100 for front but now I am inclined towards ML Aeon-i. How much better is Aeon-i compared to Studio 100. Should I go with Paradigm or Aeon-i?

2. For rear the dealer recommended the vignette. Will it go well.

3. ML Depth Sub sounded awesome but it's a little expansive. Should I settle for Groto?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2936
3. Expansive(wide ranging) or expensive($)?

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 26
I guess I will have to test both in my room if I do decide to go with Martin Logan.

How about comparison to Studio 100 and overall value for money as I can have either pair for exactly the same price.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2938
karmran, if you can try both inyour room, I would not try to offer an opinion.Yours will be the deciding factor.
Very diffrent speakers, very different presentations, your opinion will tell.

Do let us know!

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1209
Kamran,

the vignette MUST be used with a subwoofer. If it is set up properly, it sounds great. Yes, the Fresco is a much better speaker.

I myself am not a huge fan of the Aeon i, and feel that the clarity actually sounds better. However, I am in the minority here.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 27
Nuck, I can only try the two subs at home but not paradigm and ML fronts.

I searched the web but did not find any review where both aeon and studio 100 were reviewed together. Do u know if such a review exist anywhere.

The other thing is the price performance between the studio 100 and ML aeon.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 28
Gavin, I saw your reply to my other post for wall hanging speakers. You said Clarity, Vista, Vantage are much better.

The only reason I considered the Martin Login was due to the price for discontinued Aeon selling for $2000 (same as Studio 100).

I watched the X-man flying sean with the ML

The overall cost will be higher with ML due to the center chanel costing about $1700 vs for Paradigm around $1000.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 42
Go with ML. Nothing wrong with Paradigm, but the Logans are on a different planet. If budget is an issue, see if you can find a pair of used Ascent i (not the Ascent, the Ascent i) and they'll be even better than the Aeons.
Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4202
I agree with Max, the ML electrostats are on a whole different planet. And unlike the Studio 100s which would require a monster amp to really sound their best, the MLs have powered subs and will sound very pleasing enough with a run of the mill receiver/amp.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3381
For the money you can do better than either. I would do some more listening before settling on one of these.

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 43
Art, Ascent i can be found used for $2500.
What's better than that for $2500?

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 29
Where are Ascenti available for $2500 or less?

What would be good match for rears as I read in forum not to mix dynamic with electrostatic like Vignette?

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 30
To drive these Ascenti or Aeoni what would be a better choice of Amps Rotel RMB 1075 or B&K Reference 125.7 S2?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3386
Max I put out a whole list of speakers that I would prefer over Martin Logans on another thread. Sorry I didn't have time to do that here earlier. I simply don't think much of Martin Logan speakers. We each have our preferences. I would look at:

ProAc
Dynaudio
Totem
Von Schweikert
Vandersteen
Joseph Audio
Sonus Faber
Vienna Acoustics

To name just a few.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1408
I couldn't agree with you more Art.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 31
Going back to the question on suitable surround and matching AMP.

1. I do not have room for floor standing rear so it will have to be something wall mounted to go with Aeoni or Ascenti. There is a slight chance that I may be able to mount Scripti but I need to know what other alternatives I have.

2. To drive such speakers what would be a better AMP/Pro combination based on price performance. My preference would be Rotel 1075/1068 but I am willing to consider B&K. What do you suggest.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1411
kamran -

If you like the Martin Logan sound and are going with them for your mains, you're best off buying Martin Logans for the rest of the speakers. MLs have a different sound than anything else out their. Some love them, some hate them. Nothing else will match well in a system that has MLs for mains.

As to the B&K - Rotel comparison, generally speaking B&K is a better product. Overall they're better built, have more power, and have less problems with difficult speakers. MLs are definitely a difficult speaker for an amp. I haven't directly compared the two specific amps you mention, but I'd be surprised if it weren't true here. However, this doesn't mean that you won't prefer the Rotel sound to B&K.

B&K and Rotel have different sound charecteristics. The best bet is to go out and give each one a good listen, or ask your dealer(s) for a demo unit of each one and try them at home.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4215
kamran, the Rotel would be ample for MLs ... like I said, with their built-in powered subs you really don't need massive power behind them like the Studio 100s. I imagine even an HK 635 would do just fine.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1413
Just because they have a powered sub built in doesn't mean they're easy to drive by any means. Their electrostat end (or whatever technical derivative they happen to be) still requires an awful lot of clean power and current. The powered sub does free up the power from the amp to all go to the electrostat panel, but that doesn't make the electrostat area an easy load. They still dip down pretty low impedence wise. The MLs are also very unforgiving in flaws down stream.

The Rotel in question should do a decent job. However, I'd be willing to bet B&K for a few dollars more would do a much better job. It really not a matter of which will sound good. I think the Rotel will sound good. It's a matter of which will sound better. Unless you really don't like B&K's house sound (a few people don't), the B&K will do a better job. IMO, the differences are very audible and more than worth it. B&K delivers more quality and clean current, and raw power than Rotel does. Everything the Rotel does, the B&K does better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4216
All I know is, my local Tweeter had the Aeons powered by a lousy $400 Denon AVR and they sounded awesome. Far better than the $4000 Focal floorstanders in the next room powered by a $20,000 Krell amp in fact.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 32
Thanks for all the feedback. The Rotel Amp 1075 (125 Watt x 5) is priced at $900 where as, the B&K (125Watt x 7) is priced at $1800. Even if I add a Rotel 1080 for 2x200W to make 7 channel it will together still be under $1800. And I really don't need 7 channel amps at this point.

Due to the price difference I think I will go with Rotel. I just have to find a good deal on ML Ascenti or else get Aeoni.

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 44
Art, I guess you are right, it's a question of opinion. Ascent i retailed a little over $4500 and, even a that price, to me and to many friends of mine they sounded like speakers twice that price. But I guess it's a question of personal preference.
Kamran, if you are planning on getting Ascent i you will need the Rotel 1080. Ascent i work at 4 ohms peeking down to less than 1 ohm. The 1080 will give you 360 watts per channel at 4 ohms.
The 1075 will work, but you can get more out of them with the 1080.
You might want to look at the Sunfire amps.
Many ML owners use those for surround systems.
They are more expensive than Rotel, but you might want to look at the used market as well.
Good luck and watch, the Logans are addictive!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4217
Kamran,

you might only need extra power for your ML mains, in which case a far less expensive AVR with pre-outs and a 2-channel external amp would be the smarter way to go.

Something like this:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=HK+AVR635&JRSource=PriceGra bber.datafeed.HK+AVR635

Plus something like this:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

or

http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/c272.asp

Heck, I would first try running the Aeons with only the HK...you just might be pleasantly surprised!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3393
I'm glad you agree Max. That's why they make all of those speakers. There is something for almost every budget and preference, thankfully right.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 33
Max, I'll checkout the Sunfire line but I have a feeling they will be way too expansive.

My budget for the amp/pro is $2500 and Rotel fits nicely. If I were to add an additonal Rotel 1080 ($800) I may do it as it will give me 7.1 capability.

If I can get a sunfire 200Wx5 for under $1400 I will consider it.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1215
just got back,

I was not impressed with the aeon i, but keep in mind that this was in a DEMO setting. I have not heard it in my home. There seemed to be a discontinuity with the woofer and panel that the clarity and ascent i did not have.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 89
I would take Polk Audio lsi-15's over any of these speakers! ML are good speakers but they stay in the repair shop alot, the panels need replaced about every 3 years or so!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1232
go to www.martinloganowners.com and ask them if ml have reliability issues if you are concerned.

they know more than I do about issues like that. I have not heard about the new panels having any, but the older panels (10-20 years ago) were jknown to have to be replaced every ten years or so if the owner was a smoker. That was the only issue that I am aware of.

the elestronics are / were reliable.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1233
Quad stay in the repair shop, the older quad ESL53, NOT martinlogan.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1235
at least that has been my understanding of the older quad... my apologies for the multiple posts, I wrote those before I went to sleep :-P

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 67
Just to let you know, I ended up getting the ML Ascent-i used and Parasound A51/C2 and the sound is awesome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us