What amp to get?

Username: Radiation

Post Number: 1
I am a new member who is looking at upgrading my amplifier. My current system consists of a Rotel RA-931 and a pair of Linn Tukans. I am certain I can get more out of the Linns with a better amp. Money is tight as usual. I would have loved to buy a Krell Kav 300i but my budget is limited to 600 Euro (approximately $700). I'll probably buy used.

I am considering the following (my wife insists on a remote):

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2
NAD C352
Rotel RA-03
Rotel RA-1062

Any thoughts on which amp could match the Linns?
Greatly appreciate any help I can get, my head is spinning as a result of reading too many reviews.
These amps have been discussed before, sorry if I am repeating previoius notes.

Post Number: 2
No help?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 604
Maybe not too many have heard the above amps with the Tukans. Can you audition the amps with your speakers? Only your ears will give you a satisfactory answer. Apart from that, and I don't know your speakers, but if they are difficult to drive - low impedence/sensitivity - then your dealers should advise suitable amps with which to narrow down your choices within your budget.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1431
AM,

I am familiar with the 1062 and the C352. Both are good amps, but the 1062 is far better - next level up really!

The other amp you might want to look for which retails for £400 in the UK (about 600Eu) is the new Audiolab 8000S. This is a fine amplifier indeed (and it's got a remote control). All these amps will suit the Tukans and improve on the 931 provided you have a suitably good source of course! :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1376
I haven't heard the Tukans, nor the Rotel you currently own. However, I'm not sure you'd be getting a significant improvement with any of the amps you've listed. They are all good amps. They're just different. None is really head and shoulders above the others. Rotel's sound has been pretty consistant over the years, so you'd be getting 'more of the same' with a new Rotel. There have been improvements, but not dramatic ones.

While NAD and Cambridge sound different than Rotel, that doesn't mean they sound better. Maybe they will to you, but everyone's idea of what sounds best is entirely subjective.

What is the reason for wanting to upgrade?
What are you trying to change?
What do you like and dislike about your current gear?
Maybe even more improtantly, what is your current source?

Many times a new source will improve the sound far more than a new amp will. If your source is a very good one, you may want to hold off and save some more money to more up a step or two higher. Right now, you'd probably be taking a lateral step.

Post Number: 3
Thank you very much for the information.

I do like the sound of Rotel and am inclined to go for the RA-1062 (not sure about the RA-03).

To the following questions from Stu Pitt:

What is the reason for wanting to upgrade?
I am satisfied with the current sound when listening to music that is not too complicated (not too many instruments) such as some acoustic and Jazz music. The problem arises when the number of instruments increases and the frequency spectrum is filled. The stereo image is reduced and the sound is messy. With such music, the amp does not seem to have enough "omph", no controlled reproduction of the music.

What are you trying to change?
I am trying to have a system with an open sound stage, good stereo image, possibility of picking out the various instruments, not fatiguing, etc. Am I asking too much?

What do you like and dislike about your current gear?
This is answered under the first question

Maybe even more importantly, what is your current source?
I am employing a Philips DVD hard disk recorder. Not too bad but may by this is also a bottle neck??

I will definitely listen to the various amps available and also include the Audiolab 8000S in the equation.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1442
The 1062 is a much more open amp than the 931. It has far more grunt (oomph?) even though it's only rated at around 60w/ch. It is an open window by compariosn to the 931 which I remember quite fondly as a pleasant amp to listen to with not too much in the way of frequency extremes and pace. The 1062 is much more cutting edge in my view. Get one while stocks last. The 10-series has not been a great seller for Rotel even though the performance is up with the best.

I am concerned about the Philips DVD hard disc recorder. I believe this will be a bottleneck since they're not renowned for their musical prowess. In Europe the CD player that would match a 1062, 8000S or something of that ilk would be Rega's new Apollo which has everybody salivating at the moment. The Apollo is selling so fast, Rega are barely keeping up with demand. It has even outstripped sales of the original Planet in this day and age when dedicated CD player sales are not very common. I think in Europe it might retail for 800 euros or so.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
Thank you Frank,
I'll consider getting a separate CD player as even my Sansa MP3 player performs better than the Philips DVD hard disk recorder (go figure, considering the MP3 data reduction). It actually performs much better than I would have thought possible.

I have been looking for a used 1062 but no luck yet. They are usually a little outside my budget, guess I have to expand my budget. I'm looking forward to some pleasant "shop" listening tests during the next two weeks.

I'll keep you posted.

Username: Mugen30

LimaPeru

Post Number: 2
here another 3rd world country

the best choices to update my receiver are either to stick up to my old
Kenwood KRF-X9060D http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/receiver/kenwood-krf-x9060d/ or to go for Denon AVR-1906: 7.1 CH Home Theater A/V Receiver http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/545.asp.

Which would ya choose guys?

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 20
A Mohammad, i totally agree with Frank, having owened NAD 352 and heard Cambridge far too often - i now own Rotel 1062. It is way above NAD and Cambridge in my opinion.
1062s 60 Watts should be enough for most speakers and is one of the Unsung hereos of hifi and my best buy till date (value for money).
Also Frank could you please pick a CD player for 1062
(not wanting to hijack your thread Mohammad :-) )

Arcam 73t - nice sound
Rotel 1072 - may be synergy at its best
Audiolab 8000s - very open
Rega Apollo (dont like the disc mechanism)

to replace nad 542

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3678
AM, what do you run for speaker wire and what are your interconnects to your Rotel?
Have you completely satisfied yourself with your room acoustics and layout?
The Tukans can be fabulous in perfect setups(no personal listening), but a lot of others can, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 53
Jorge, Try the Home Theather thread.

AM, Nuck is right, tweaking you wires and adding if you do not have one, a power line conditioner, can do a lot for your existing set up. Then perhaps you may have a better idea whether to pony up for a 1062 or a Rega Apollo.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1547
Saurabh,

Rega Apollo, no question.

Arcam 73T, good but a little too laid back

Rotel 1072, mechanical, laid back, not very good (the weakness in the 10-series was the CD players)

Audiolab 8000CD, good, very detailed, but ultimately a bit pedestrian and matter of fact

The disc mechanism on the Rega works well. Only reason not to go for it would be that you don't have the space to fit it.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 22
Onece again, thank you Frank :-)

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1564
Incidentally, if you really want a non-fatiguing sound, you may wish to consider the Arcam A65+. It's a pretty good amp, not as open as the Rotel but warmer and a bit more forgiving. It retails for about 600Eu in the UK.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3778
Frank, do you find the bigger Rotel amps so fatigueing?
While 'open' is an apt description of the presentation, I prefer "accurate' and well timed, meself.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1566
Nuck, I do find them a little more relentless than some, but I wouldn't classify them as fatiguing which is why I said the 1062 is a good choice. However, the Arcam has a warmer, easier-going nature about it which the OP might prefer.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us