Overheating of sub-amp?

Username: Frankthetank85

Post Number: 1
I was listening (loud) to my music when the subs shut off..after turning the radio off, then on again, the amp would stay on, but then turn off once the bass came on.. is this overheating and is there any solution to the problem. my old system got stolen, and i don't feel like putting any more money into this newer system. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8644

It's rather difficult to tell with the information you've provided. Did the plate amp feel hot at the time?

Post Number: 2
not at all.. i was only playing the music for one song when it happenned. now when i turn the radio on, the subs turn off as soon as the volume hits average..if i turn my radio off and on again, it stays on once again until i move the volume. its not hot, and like i said it wasn't playing long at all when it happenned..

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8649

Then you could reasonably conclude this is not a case of overheating. Take the sub in for repair.

Post Number: 3
but its not the sub.. its the sub amp.. can they really repair that and is it worth the money..

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8652

You've not made it clear whether the amplifier is separate from the subwoofer. Is this a plate amp or a free standing power amp? In either case, a shop will typically give you an estimate for any out of warranty repairs before performing any service. You can decide whether the cost justifies the repairs needed. If the unit is under warranty, of course it's worth repairing unless you just hate the subwoofer/amp.

Username: Jirvin_82

Post Number: 9
unbridge ur amp. i had the same problem and it was becuase i had my amp bridged. unbridge it and it will be fine.

Post Number: 4
wow, if that works that would be awesome. how do i go about unbridging my amp, i know nothing about this, my dad installed it for me, but wont be able to help me tomorrow, i was hoping to get it done myself...
thanks so much by the way..everybody..!!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 470
Jan I think these are some car audio stragglers. They haven't said if this is a home audio or car situation. If this is a home amp/receiver then when you change sources, in this case between CD/Tape/phono other-music??? Why would your subwoofer go into protection or no signal off?, This could be a problem with the pre-amp/pro for the amp or the preamp stages in the receiver or as simple as a setting.Need more information. Need more information.-------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Number: 5
i'm sorry, its a car system. i just realized that this is home audio. i got this website from a friend. im sorry to waste your time if this isn't what you do. if you still are able to help, it would be welcome.

my subs are still working., they were tested with a battery on the pos and neg terminal. they are working. the amp tat powers teh subs is what is broken. the power light stays on until the volume is moved up, then the whole amp shuts down with a pop in the speakers. if i turn the radio off then on again the same thing happens. i dont know what other information i can give. i hope this helps a little more, because i truely need help. the subs are not the problem, it is my 2 channel sub amp. thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: Jirvin_82

Post Number: 13
yeah sorry i didnt realize this is a home audio forum either. thats my bad.

look at your amp and tell me how your subs are hooked up to it. if you tell me that i will b able to help you alot better.

Post Number: 7
i have the rca cable connected directly from the radio player to the amp. then i have regular speaker wire from the amp to my 2 12 inch subs. i have a remote wire that turns the amp on with the ignition key and off when the car is turned off. i have ground and power. that s everything i think. nothing special. power in and power out. does that help?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1033
he means wiring diagram of the speaker wire connections from your amp to the two subs. depending on the type of voice coils, single vs dual, you will need to use different wiring schematics to get the correct load for the amp. also, the amp needs to be stable at the given load so info on the amp and the subs would be necessary, but go to the car audio section, they can help you better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us