Digital out to analog in

Username: Csgould

Post Number: 1
I want to play sound from my tv which has digital out jack through my bookshelf stereo which has rca analog in...how do I do it? do I need a converter or cables etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 17
You need an external DAC, or digital-analog converter.

It turns out that converting 1's and zero's to an analog sine wave is hard to do well, so external DAC's, especially those intended for "audiophile" uses, tend to be pricey.

We have exactly the same the problem - our new HDTV has both analog and digital audio out, but turns off the analog jacks whenever you tune it to a digital source. Pretty common practice, as it turns out.

So we've been looking at an *affordable* external DAC. We're going to try the TC-7500 first, and see how it goes. I've spoken with the designer in the UK, and he is using some pretty reasonable components (BurrBrown), especially given his price point.

This was reviewed in Steroplay (German) this past April. Although it finished last in terms of sound quality, it ranked well in terms of value for the dollar - the sound quality was quite respectable, just not up to the levels offered by units costing 3-5x more. For over the air broadcasts, it'll probably be fine.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/TC-7500H.htm
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_stereoplay_36980.html

The latter link leads to a German site covering all manner of test reports - this is the overview page - you can buy the full report if you're so inclined.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 21
You might try a DVR with digital audio in and analog out as well.

We really don't have a need for a DVR in our "second" room, so an external DAC is the direction we're going to take.

Username: Stanleyb

Post Number: 1
We have now completed all the listening tests and last minute changes to the TC-7500 replacement, the TC-7510. It's now on eBay.
I want to thank you guys for all the points raised about what the minimum expectations are in terms of sound and features you would look for in a DAC. Getting it all in at below £100 caused me a lot of sleepless nights and major rows with some parts vendors. I hope it was worth it! Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us