Musical Fidelity A5 vs Arcam A32

Username: Kenstery2k

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm hoping to get an opinion from non-sales oriented music lovers. I'm looking at either the Musical Fidelity A5 or the Arcam A32 to push a pair of B&W 603S3. My intention is to have better mid-range and more power than my current Rotel 1062. I was able to audition both but at different locations with different output speakers. Therefore I was unable to truly compare the two. If there are others within their price range I can certainly appreciate it as well. I appreciate if someone can put some guidance to the path of my golden acoustic search.

Many thanks,
Ken

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 161
If midrange and power is what your after then maybe one of the hybrid tube/ss integrateds may be more to your likings.

Here is a good review of the Dk Design VS1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/dk-design-vs1-integrated-amp-6-2005.h tml

Post Number: 2
James,

Thanks for the suggestion. DK Design VS1 certainly have had great reviews however I'm not really into a hybrid design amp plus it seems somewhat difficult to locate a dealer from their website. I'm located in the NY area and thus far I have no luck finding a DK Design dealer. Also I apologize for not informing my price range of $2500 and this amp is just a bit on the high side for me.

If I have to settle for less than great in the mids, what other integrated amp would you recommend?

Thanks,
Ken

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
I have listened to the MF A5 integrated/ A5 CDP with the DAC/Tube Buffer/PS Combo with Totem Model 1 Sig's and was very impressed with the 3-D type sound and tonality that it produced.

A couple of other integrated's that I would suggest to audition are Classe, Plinius, and Simaudio.

Post Number: 3
James,

Thanks for your input. Those are great choices, more so with the Classe but it's definitely out of my budget or perhaps future upgrade may do some justice. I like the Plinius with the price being around my ballpark but unfortunately it seems to lack any dealership presense in my area for any possible demo. And the Simaudio is a fine piece of hardware however without the wattage increase I'm looking for.

I have heard many rave reviews about the MF A5 integrated and thus far it's on top of my list with its pricing fits nicely into my budget. Plus for some reason, there are plenty of MF dealers within the NY area. I think I will take one final serious look at the MF A5. Too bad that I already have purchased an Arcam FMJ36 CDP which I enjoy a lot and this was prior to any demo of the MF A5 CDP. More so, during the time of choosing a CDP, the McIntosh MCD205 changer was available and it definitely has more vibrant mids (all within similar price range but the changer was not something I wanted). The MF A5 is definitely one of the better CDPs I have demoed since and I would give the A5 another look if I get the chance.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Ken

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
The A5 is a fine integrated and should be a good match for most speakers. Plenty of power and refinement.

If you have a Bryston dealer nearby another integrated you might want to check out is the new Bryston B100 SST. Goes for about $2699 MSRP. I got mine used with the DAC option off of Agon for a price within your budget. Very nice piece.

Post Number: 4
James,

Just curious, was there any specific reasons or preferences you have chosen the Bryston B100 SST over other choices? There is one NYC dealer, I will certainly check it out.

Thanks,
Ken

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Ken,

The Bryston house sound is not for everyone. I liked the ST series from before but wasn't quite ready at the time to dish out the $$$ for it. My thoughts were that it was a bit edgy and grainy but still excellent. The SST series is more refined delivering a virtually grain free presentation but still has a small bit of edge to it. I like to think of it as a little bite (which I like). Excellent bass, honest mids, and outstanding highs. The B100SST imaging is first rate. On Ray Charles Genius Loves Company you can distinctly hear him to the left of the center and the piano in the center panning to the right on some of the tracks. Absolutely amazing. I like a clean, clear, open, and transparent presentation which the B100 has in spades. The DAC in the B100 is a major improvement over the NAD C541 analog section I am currently using as a CDP. My transport is the weak link now but have to wait a while for that due to the amount spent recently on the amp and speakers.

I am not quite sure if Bryston has the mids that you are looking. The mids are not lush sounding so that is why I did not recommend the unit at first.

I did alot of auditioning before making the decision for the Bryston. Plinius and Simaudio are my next favorites (as you could probably tell). I was considering a tube hybrid also but did not have the space for it and the ventilation that it required. The Bryston runs fairly cool even when driven hard. Just warm to the touch.

I am primarily two channel now using the B100 DAC for satellite, DVD , and CDP. For satellite and movies the front presentation is leagues ahead of the NAD AV and Dynaudio 42's that I have had. The imaging is so much better you would never know I did not have a center channel.

Bryston delivers a high quality product plus the 20 yr transferrable warranty. Hard to beat.

Post Number: 5
James,

Aside from CDP play, I'm planning to use this AMP for home theater as well. With the DAC, the Bryston B100 SST is definitely out of my reach. However, does the DAC indeed provide such a huge sonic difference for all sources? Would you recommend the AMP without the DAC? For CDP, I'm using the Arcam FMJ36 with the Wolfson 24bit-192kHz DAC and it's full of warmth and dimension, although I do admit the McIntosh offers more fluid and warmth in the mids. The decision was a matter of preference in looks. Would the Bryston DAC enhance my CDP sonic as well?

The primary reason for the upgrade is my current setup does not generate the clear sonic at the low frequency I'm looking for. Although the Rotel AMP is surprisingly outputing generous sound imaging only at high frequency, I'm beginning to think the AMP requires more power for output in order to generate the sonic I seek. As of now, I'm really not certain if it's the Rotel AMP or the B&W 603S3 speakers. Regardless, I think an AMP upgrade can only help pushing the B&Ws.

Thanks,
Ken

Post Number: 6
I forgot to mention the Krell 400xi Int AMP, I've auditioned the 300xi Int AMP before but not so with the newer model. What's the comparison like to the MF A5 and Bryston B100?

Thanks,
Ken

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
I should have mentioned this earlier but your week link after upgrading to any of the mentioned integrated's will be your speakers.

The MF, Bryston, and Krell would be better suited to drive 700 series or better. I would even match them with the 800 series as a minimum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
The Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated would drive the 603's well.

Post Number: 7
Finally, I went to my dealer for one more demo on the MF A5 and I had to get it. Boy, is this sucker heavy or what?! This amp is absolutely stunning and it's worth the money with its bass and power. The Rotel 1062 integrated amp was great for its price tag but I have to say my B&W 603S3 now sounded more dynamic in terms of mid and bass. Some of the vocals from my CD collection just come alive. No need to turn up the volume anymore to enjoy the acoustic I so dearly craved! I do notice the amp heat sink gets a little warm after a few hours of play but not hot.

I've also demoed a pair of B&W N805s and N804s and I have to confess, they are god sent...I nearly pull the trigger on a new pair of 805s 'cause I was given a very good offer. Lucky me, they didn't have the color I wanted. So, the ever upgrade continues...

Thanks James for all your input. It certainly have been another learning experience.

Ken

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Glad to hear you got the A5 and it is making a positive difference for your 602's. The 805's are really special for vocals (especially female vocals). I heard a recording that was mixed to highlight the female vocals on a pair of 805S and it was absolutely stunning. The voice was vivid and clear with extraordinary detail and texture.

James

Post Number: 8
The MF A5 has created a nice deep bass on my 603S3 but now its treble is a bit overshadowed. I may have to look at the 800 series for real. You are absolutely right, the 805s creates such a pleasant imaging it's simply too sweet not to own a pair. One draw back about the 805s, its bass is tight but it isn't as strong as one like. I was toying with the idea of using the 805s along with my Definitive Technology subwoofer. Not certain if that's a good combo though. The 804s is the alternative with a hefty price tag.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Which Def Tech sub do you have ?

Post Number: 9
I have the Supercube I which is totally earthquaking for movies. For music I find it to be too muffled with the 603S3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
I had the DT cube for a while and thought it better than the HSU VTF-3 for music. Although it was not as powerful I found it easier to integrate and was faster. It is a good sub for dual duties.

Post Number: 10
Perhaps the DT Cube's bass isn't as tight or fast which is the reason it's more for HT than music.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 100
What would be a better match with N805s? Krell 400 or Bryston 100?

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
eduardo,

I think either will drive the N805's well. It depends on which house sound you like best. Either would be a good choice with the Krell winning out in the power category. The Krell is roughly double the power of the bryston. I have the Bryston and it can drive my Totem's to very loud levels before showing any signs of clipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Eduardo,

I find the Krell 400xi has good high and mid with its bass unlike the previous 300xi. My in law has a 300xi with a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto Domus and I feel it's a bit stronger in bass than the 400xi. You may want to look into the MF A5 which has deep bass and plenty of power. The N805S has great imaging but lacks bass to some ears so I would only assume the MF A5 may possibly have a better fit.

On another note, the high freq on my 603S3 sounds a bit muffled now with the MF A5. The bass and mid are absolutely fantastic but they definitely over shadowing the high freq. I'm seriously considering another upgrade with either the N805S or even the N804S.

Silver Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 102
How does the bass compare between bryston 100 int and kav 400?

MF is not available in Mexic
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I didn't get a chance to demo the Bryston. James P would probably be able to provide better suggestion than I.

I do like the KAV 400xi, it's a very solid powerful amp with good treble and upper mids. The bass is good too but it's a little less than the previous KAV 300xi. It depends what type of audio you use and if your speakers are capable to generate the type of bass without an amp with deep solid bass. One of the unique feature about the KAV 400xi is its progammble source input, I thought that was a nice touch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
eduardo,

You will get mixed opinions on which bass is better. The Bryston bass is tight, well controlled, deep, and never boomy.

The B-100 is 100 watts per channel. Mine rated at right under 130 watts per channel before clipping. Still plenty of power. The B-100 is actually a BP-25 preamp with the 2b SST amp. So if you can't find the B-100 they may have the preamp and amp combo somewhere which is compatible.

I haven't listened to many KRell's at great length so it is hard for me to comment.

You should go and listen for yourself and tell us what you think. I may have went with Krell if there were more dealers in my area that actually had Krell on display.

Username: Proflex957

Post Number: 1
I think Arcam is great for CD and DVD players, and Surround Sound processors. But Musical Fidelity's A5 is far superior to any integrated amp from Arcam.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I have an Arcam FMJ CD36 player to go with my MF A5 integrated amp. Some may debate that the MF A5 CD player may have a bit better warmth which maybe so. I purchased the CD36 before I was able to demo the A5 CD but I think my combination is a great option as well. I'm very satisfied with my MF A5 integrated amp with its powerful and nice deep bass. It runs warm unlike my old Rotel RA-1062 amp. Definitely a great choice for anyone looking into the line of a $2k integrated amp. One little complaint, the remote is not very sensitive at all. I needed to point the remote directly at the infra red sensor path in order to control the amp which can be annoying at times. Otherwise this could be th is by far one of the best two-channel integrated amp at its price range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us