A professional review of Radiient Speakers

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 229
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/RadiientElarap1.php

the funny thing is that the build quality and soundstage were among my highest ratings when i got the speakers. These two areas are the lowest and received an average score.

It also would have been nice to know what other equipment that reviewer was using for dvd playback and cd playback through his receiver.

I also kinda wonder why the reviewed the cheapest system when the biggest one is only $300 more?

Oh well, any way a pretty good review.

enjoy guys

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4094
hmm, that is not a particularly positive review despite somehow adding up to 3.5 out of 5 stars overall score.

Swipes I noticed:

- mid-bass bloat
- harsh music
- can't handle high volumes
- bubbling veneer
- little internal bracing
- substandard construction
- precarious packing
- pretty looks from afar
- weak center speaker
- small sweet spot

However for a $500 system I'm sure you could do worse. Wonder how it compares to the Athena ASB1/C1 setup from audioadvisor.com ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
see thats the thing, I can vouch that either this reviewer is a snob or he is using buzz words to describe things that he really doesnt understand.

For instance: In my towers, there is not midbass straining at all, it sounds completely smooth and clear.

Harsh music? Musicality of the fronts received the highest rating from him but yet he still critisized it.

High volumes; Ive cranked my denon 3805 all the way to +5.0 db and while it was louder than all hell, the sound didnt break up and get muddy as he is suggesting.

I really cant speak to bubbling veener, my towers and center have none of that.

Bracing; my towers are braced fairly well, but the bookshelfs may be a different story.

Packing; the reveiwer is full of it. Not only is the packing excellent, but there is tons of padding to make sure the tweeters are not damaged in transit. The top shot he took, he had removed the very top portion of the packing to take that shot.

The looks are pretty great regardless. I really cant see how the reviewer got his shorts in such a twist over the front grills and the piano gloss black finish?

Center channel; Ok I would like to know what kind of receiver he was using for this test. My Denon that controls the same center is by far the loudest and clearest center I have ever had. The imgaging is fantastic and wide.

Small sweet spot; by far and bull statement. Then again I dont know what equipment he was using because he never makes mention of it.

He was comparing this system to Axioms and to one other I think but this system is only $500 whereas the others were over a grand i believe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4101
actually the reviewer states that he was using the exact same receiver you have, the 3805. It was page 2 if I'm not mistaken.

However the speakers he reviewed were admittedly their bottom-of-the-line ones so I would imagine your towers are probably much better quality.

I'm curious, did you take your speakers apart to examine the bracing too?

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
You know you are right edster, he is using the same receiver as me. And it was on page two aswell! My mistake I didnt see that.

I didnt take them apart, I just knocked hard with my knuckles in different areas.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 103
"I also kinda wonder why the reviewed the cheapest system when the biggest one is only $300 more?"

My feeling is that Audioholics reviews only inexpensive stuff other than that of their advertisers. To me it looks like to get their reviews ad revenue is key. Just a few cheapies or niche products, that aren't a threat to their advertisers, are thrown in so they can claim they review stuff not being advertised on the site.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
didnt even really consider that

Gold Member

Post Number: 4103
Quinn,

you seem to be much more familiar with Audioholics than I am. The handful of their reviews I read, didn't seem to have much point. And some of their package recommendations like "HT system for $1K" seemed pretty lame.

The last Audioholics review I read besides the one Eric linked to was on Class D receivers, and one of the 2 authors was, guess what, owner of a tiny-and-pricey Class A/B amplifier manufacturer who used a lot of abstruse technobabble to bash a previous generation Panny digital.

They strike me as a pretty cheesy, amateurish outfit by the looks of it. Wonder if they've ever reviewed Ascend?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us