NAD 753, paradigm sub SOS

Username: Brit

Cape coral, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1
I have recently purchased a NAD 753 and paradigm ct 110 cinema speakers. the sound is/was amazing. that is until my subwoofer quit working. I reset the system and it worked again. The next time i turned the system on it didn't work. I tried the other subwoofer out on my system...nothing. checked all my settings..nothing. thought maybe it was my sub so i took it down to the dealer where i bought it. after a week of having heard nothing i call to get an update. they say they've found a problem but because of paradigm policies (blah, blah blah) its going to take a while. i call 2 weeks later, still nothing, no update. 3 weeks later (last tues) i call. (here comes the good part) the tech says and i quote "we didn't find anything wrong with your sub. you can come pick it up". WHAT?? i just sat here for the last 5 friggin weeks thinking they were fixing my sub and that my sub was the problem and now they tell me there was never anything wrong. has anyone else had problems with these small dealers. how do they run a business. so i pick up my sub and i'm back to square one. unfortunately i didn't buy my NAD from the dealer and its out of warranty. Of course the dealer has offered to look at it for a price but after my last experience.... anyone got any advice? am i missing something blatantly obvious here?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1041
You will have to isolate the issue. Did the dealer actually show you that the sub works? Did he plug it in and let you hear it? If so then the problem is not the sub and you must see if the NAD is the problem.

Cape coral, Florida Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response. the dealer and technician told me they performed extensive tests and found nothing wrong. something else i've noticed is that when i turn the system on or off i hear a low frequency noise from the subwoofer. i assume that means some sort of signal is getting through. however when i run the test through my NAD i get nothing on the sub channel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1042
Again this needs to be isolated. Take it back to the dealer and have him show you that it works or else take it to a friend's house and plug it in.

Another test you may try is to plug the subwoofer as a regular speaker and see what comes out of it. If you get any sound, then the problem is the NAD.

Cape coral, Florida Usa

Post Number: 3
When i initially took the sub into the dealer, the salesman tested it while i was there and it worked. however, because the problem appeared intermittent they said they would have to test it over a longer period which they said they did. i have not yet tested it on a speaker out but i did try it on the other subwoofer out without much success.
is there any danger of damaging the sub if i plug it into a powered speaker out?
is there any chance that this problem could be as simple as a grounding issue with my cable?
thanks again for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
If your sub has a speaker binding then no it should not have any problems.

Certainly cable could be an issue. Just try it with some other RCA cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us