Recieving radio signals through my record player!?

Username: Cjcjcj

Post Number: 1
has any body ever expearienced this before? cos im baffeled. They are barly noticable unless the volume is up relly loud. the table has a good earth and a good cartridge, its the type wich is has no wires exposed so thats not the problem. so if any one knows any thing about this the let me know!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8584

You have to isolate where the signal is entering the system. Is it in both channels or just one?

Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 4
Who needs vinyl when the turntable plays Heart FM? :-) (Sorry - couldn't resist).

Username: Cjcjcj

Post Number: 2
both channels, ive been using the same setup for months, had no problems, it sounds like a french signal.

Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 5
Not being funny now, but you say this is a recent problem, seemingly out of the blue?

I wonder... just speculation here... could there be a recent erection of a radio mast in your area, close to your home, which is sending strong signals? I've heard that most home audio equipment, if not properly shielded, has the potential to pick up radio signals. I once heard of this happening with a pair of loudspeakers.

It might be worth checking the speaker cables to see if there are any breaks. IMO, it could be nearly anything - perhaps even the amp, if some insulation has broken down. The fact you hear it in the turntable circuit might be something to do with the signal being pre-amped by the phono-stage.

Other than that, it's a mystery, which has stirred my imagination and prompted an idea to write a spy thriller about an audiophile who learns of an imminent French invasion through his record player. Watch out for black cars with tinted windows in your area! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8588

The mostly likely possibility is a poor connection somewhere in the table's interconnect cables or arm wiring. As connections age, if they are not "gas tight", they will oxidize and the effect is much the same as installing a rectifier in the line. Rectifiers are useful devices when constructing a tuner. Therefore when the connection becomes oxidized, the rectification acts as a tuner for a single radio station. The most likely location for this to occur is at the input jacks to your receiver/pre amp. I would begin my troubleshooting by repositioning the connections at all points on the cartridge/arm/pre amp. Break the connection and then remake the connection. If this provides any relief, you need to do a thorough house cleaning on your system. If it does nothing, let us know.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_badon

Bc Canada

Post Number: 16
you are lucky you,ve got bonus.
are you sure the correct ground wire(table's groundwire)is attached and not the ground wire of your tuner?
i played my table and heared radio station in the background i found out i have not replaced the groundwire of the tuner.
dan

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1582
Chris,

It's called Radio Frequency Interference, or RFI. The phono stage that amplifies the turntable signal is very sensitive. The leads to the turntable act as antennae and you pick up the radio signals. Try moving around the turntable's leads to reduce the problem.

If you still have no joy, the best solution is a ferrite ring around the turntables leads. A ferrite ring is a solid iron ring, usually a few ounces in weight. They're very cheap (£1.49 or $2.50) and fairly effective.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us