Help please -Turntable needle sliding backwards along record.

Username: Zipzilla

Post Number: 1
Just bought a Stanton T.50X turntable and when I set the needle down, it wants to slide back toward the front of the record skipping along on my album. It doesn't seem to have an "anti-skid" control. I've tried adjusting the counter weight both lighter and heavier without luck. The closer the needle is set toward the center of the album, the worse the problem is. Please help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8568

Is there a metal hanger around the area of the base of the tonearm for an anti-skating weight and string?

Post Number: 2
No, I don't see anything of the sort nor is there the standard dial type anti-skate control.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8572

Are you sure there's still a stylus on the cantilever?

Username: Cassettica

Post Number: 1
I'm having a somewhat similar problem. As soon as I drop the needle on the record, it slides really fast, directly to the end, just giving me that "scratch" sound.

I figure it's either the needle or the tonearm, but I'm having trouble figuring out which. Anyone have this problem before?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8581

Are you sure there's still a stylus on the cantilever?

Username: Cassettica

Post Number: 2
Yes. I took off the needle to see if that was the problem and the bottom of it (the part that makes contact with the record) has a divet, a little crater, at the tip. Is this the problem?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8583

Sounds like you had a bonded stylus. Now you have nothing. That would certainly cause the problem you describe.

Post Number: 3
The stylus was on the cantilever, but there must have been something wrong with it as replacing the cartridge fixed the problem. You were about on target Jan, thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us