Need Help with New receiver Purchase

Username: Titleist

Post Number: 5
I'm looking for the best receiver that would complement a new set of ORB speakers and Orb subwoofer. I will have Orb Mod2 for the center channel and 4 mod1 for the rest. I have the usual..HDTV..CD Player...DVD Player...95% of the time I use this Television is for watching DVD's. My budget for the receiver is less than 500.00. Any suggestions would be great

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 70
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-635-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitemZ973 2228145QQcategoryZ67799QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1035
Damn good price if you can get it for that.

Post Number: 6
I've never purchased anything refurbished. Anything I should look out for

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 71
First off the warranty, but you can not go wrong with Harman Direct as they offer the original 2 year warranty on their products.

I did purchase a 2-channel unit from HK Direct and have been pleased with the performance; in addition, when I received it, it was in perfect cosmetic condition.

My 2 cents

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2695
Woods, there are 2 schools of thought on refurb's.
The greatest indicator is to research the sales figgures on that particular unit, and compare some records on how many were made.

Then look at consumers digest(or equivelent) to get a good track record for reliability.

Perfect scenario is high production, low sales, good reliability and high cost as new.
This means they were overpriced, and a better value, however may be brand new and sat for a while.

If your research says there were a lot of problems with the unit I described, you could expect problems like others.
However, if the production run was small, and the price high, the unit has probably been in the hands of a tech before shipping to you, and well tuned and upgraded, if necessary.

Bottom line is warranty, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. Stay with better brands like H/K and you should be fine.

Post Number: 7
Thanks..online may be the only way for me to go...I live in Maine and you don't find many high end audio/video stores locally. Best Buy and Circuit City is the closest I have to me and I would like to stay away from there if possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us