1st Order X-overs in Dynaudio Focus 220s

Bronze Member
Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 20
I've read of the many potential pitfalls regarding speaker manufacturers and their implementations of 1st order cross-overs in their speaker designs. I recently listened to the Focus 220 models within the Dynaudio line and was impressed by the speaker which utilizes 1st order X-overs. Is it just my ears or has Dynaudio produced a good implementation of the 1st order design due to the fact they control all facets of the speaker making process from drivers to cabinets?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to audition these speakers for longer than an hour or two so I may not have given them the proper amount of time before coming to my conclusion that they seemed to be a very musically detailed speaker. I felt they exhibited good, accurate low end extension without a hint of muddiness as well as detailed highs without being harsh from their 2 way design. According to the shop these speakers had approximately 150 hours on them.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8554

The frequency extremes are not the areas to consider when asking about six dB crossovers. But, obviously, for you the speaker made time stand still if you can't remember whether you listened for one or for two hours.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2691
Clarence, what amplification was running the 220's?

Bronze Member
Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 22
Nuck - It was a Rega Mira 3. Also listened through a NAD 162/272 combo but actually liked the system synergy with the Mira better.

Jan - Its not that time stood still its just that during that time period I also was talking to the shop owner on this latest visit and not his employee like last time. The owner was much better able to provide the answers to my questions and help me make sense out of everything unlike his employee who I had spoken to before. But I do know I had at least an hour of critical listening.
I guess I need to study up more on the cross-over orders because I thought that I might detect gaps in the presentation due to 1st order cross-overs. I'll study up some more and then maybe I can phrase myself more clearly. Thanks again.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8555

" ... I thought that I might detect gaps in the presentation due to 1st order cross-overs."

Gaps?

Why?

Do you mean you thought you might detect gaps but didn't?

Or, do you mean you think you did detect gaps in what you heard?

First order Xo's have the broadest overlap of drivers vs. frequency response. From the crossover frequency the rate of roll off is only six dB per octave on either side of a first order high and low pass filetr. If anything, the more typical problem with first order designs is hearing one or both drivers working too far into the frequency response of the other driver(s) and working beyond their own frequency range. Gaps are more likely to occur in poorly designed high order crossovers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2706
Ahh a good old first order debate.
Just like the ol days!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8559

Clarence at least doesn't have his head in the nether regions of his anatomy nor does he think he knows all there is to know about crossovers. Progress exists.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us