Good amp for metal and rock

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 277
Looking at the NAD C320BEE due to all the great raving about it. I can get it for £160 and this is about my limit for an amp. How does it hold up with complex metal music? This is my primary music genre I listen to along with rock, fusion rock and a bit of classical and jazz now and again. How dynamic is the amp?
Got the speakers ordered, just making sure I make the right choice with an amp!
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 49
$160? They sell for $399 new, so try used or ebay. What speakers did you order? What source?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2725
160 Pounds, Dan.UK.

JJ, this Nad will let you down badly.
The 320bee is low on power and big on happy sounds, like Floyd.
Metal need not apply, and I have no idea what would at the price.
Behringer? Maybe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Speakers are wharefedale diamond 8.1s and the source is from my computer-an emu 0404 soundcard.
Nuck, why will the nad let me down on power, 50watts per channel is more than what I'll ever use. Behringer dont do integrated amps do they?
Hmm, well thats why I originally posted this, because I had doubts about that NAD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
Perhaps the cambridge audio azur 340a would be an option for playing metal since Ive heard its pretty detailed. The same goes for the low priced cambridge audio a5. Any help would be appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2751
Sorry, JJ, I did not read more than 'rock' into your OP.
And with the wharf 8.1.'s, I must reconsider.
In light of your further post, yes the 320bee might be just a fine ticket.
I was concerned at first that you were seeking rock and prog first, but now you have opened that up to include a much more rounded listening, and the diamonds make a whole lot of difference.

This setup will not be ideal for metal, but will round out pretty well, so long as you listen 50% to jazz(quite good) and classical(ok).

If you are going for Metal(thrash)? the faster the power the better, same as regge.
If your main listening is either, I still suggest a high power and fast amp, which might trade SQ for the other features, thus the Behringer.

The Nad has the attack speed of the French militia.

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Thats a lot of useful information for me to consider!
I wouldnt say jazz anywhere near 50%. Maybe 15% jazz and classical put together.
Im surprised you said the nad isnt that fast since ive heard that it is elsewhere!
Im stuck now, whats this behringer you mention? Ive looked on their site and there isnt any integrated amps, its all live/pa/studio equipment.
I do actually listen to progressive/alternative rock and my metal is a variety of stuff from thrash, death, gothic, doom. Sad to hear the nad isnt up for metal :-( I had my mind set on it.
I must say that I will be using this system in my room since I live with my parents so I dont have a house! This will be my first 'proper' hifi too so Im no audiophile like maybe yourself, just an enthusiast. Im currently using and have been using a 2.1 system since 1999 which isnt too bad for what it is but its time to go up a gear.
Whats this behringer you speak of? Any experience with cambridge audio for a metal amp?
Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
Ive been told by richer sounds that the Nad is a bit laid back for rock and the azur 340a is more forward. I think I may get a trial sometime. My concern is that the 340a might sound too bright. I'll find out soon i guess

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 54
Ahh U.K. My browser did not pick up the Pound symbol.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4087
Jarvis,

you might want to look at a used pro-amp, they can be had for very cheap here in the US, around $200-400. But these are not integrateds, so you'd probably need a pre-amp if I'm not mistaken.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Well ideally a pre amp and power amp would be better, but my budget isnt too great. I think I've made my mind up that it'll be between the c320bee and the azur 340a so Im going to audition them sometime. I've heard too many opposing things about both of them to make my mind up from reviews and other people.
I really need to stick to around £160 for an amp.
Can't wait for the speakers to come so I can have a 14 day home trial of the amps.
Thanks for your help

Username: Metal_lee

Parry Sound, Ont Canada

Post Number: 1
Jarvis,

As a classic rock and metal listener myself, I know what I want from my amp and speakers to get the best sound and reproduction.
I think you are on the right track with testing both amps to find what's right for you, I've been looking into NAD amps as well.You wouldn't pay a car without driving it!Let me know what the outcome is.

Good Luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us