Keeping the speaker on the stand

Bronze Member
Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 33
I have been driving myself nuts because I cannot find the threads. I've searched here and audioholics.

I was reading a few threads about people finding sheets of really sticky rubber. They would cut these up and place them under the speakers to help keep them from vibrating off the stands... or help with kidproofing. Also, I have been thinking about mountin my center channel on top of my television... but thats at a slight slant. I want to secure it with this sticky rubber... which supposedly does not leave a residue.
Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1304
I think what you're referring to is Blue Tack. Not sure if it's spelled Blu Tac, Blu-Tack, etc. Try a google search.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Not really looking for PlastiTak, BluTak, or poster putty. This was a large sheet of uniform thickness black rubber. This could be cut up so that you could place squares under the corners of the speakers. But, it wasn't just ordinary rubber, it was really sticky but you didn't have to worry about reusing it.. It didn't really stick like a glue or leave an adhesive residue behind.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 930
Scoot Guard?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Scoot Guard
http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4588.html

Close. Its the -kind- of thing I'm looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 931
Dycem NS?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8530

Sorbothane.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Sorbothane! Thats the name, I remember it now.
Thanks Jan.
Ok, anyone know a good place to get it? Are there different kinds? Some brands better than others?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8532

Have you learned how to use a search engine?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2668
You are a sweetheart, Jan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Search Sorbothane on these forums and on audioholics forums. Not much in the way of recommendations.
As for Sorbothane in general there are many different varieties.
It is used for medical applications, inside of shoes, in industrial vibration dampening applications, and... audio applications.
I think the important factor here would be the type of adhesive used... and whether the adhesive is on one side or both sides. I do not want to leave a residue on my stands or cabinets. Yes I found this one:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AQSORS&product_name=Sorb othane%20Tile%20Sheet
The question is.... is it any good?

Yes, I did this research BEFORE asking for recommendations.... it was the wide variety of applications that prompted me to ask for additional input on a good source. Preferably from someone who successfully implemented some sorbothane for holding down speakers.

I think maybe the traffic in the Big D is taking its toll on you Jan... or perhaps its the summer heat. Play nice.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 979
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Sorbothane+audio&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8538

Ah, Grasshopper, when you can pick the Sorbothane puck from my hand, ...

I rather assumed you'd end up somewhere like Audio Advisor. But, hey, maybe you have stock in Dr. Scholl's and feel obligated to cut up some of his shoe thingees.

The self stick Sorbothane sheet requires no adhesive as it is one of the properties of Sorbothane that it adheres to surfaces by the natural (is it possible to use the word "natural" with a man made product?) tack to its surface. Place it horizontally or vertically, from the top or the bottom and it stays in place if there are no air pockets trapped within its contact area.

See, now I would have though you might have learned that from your time on the search engine squad. Looks like you might be a bench warmer this season too.

I also assumed yu might learn that Sorbothane "absorbs" movement by converting motion to heat. This makes it less than ideal for mounting speakers to a stand since it will not fix the speaker in place. It will allow movement in the horizontal plane which is normally what you don't want in a speaker to stand connection.

You're not helping your kids with their homework; are you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Yeah man. I found the product on audioadvisor no less than 2 minutes of your post that simply said "Sorbothane" (as linked above). I also went to the first link in the google search and learned about its properties from the company that holds the patent. So yes, having basic command of the english language and scientific terminology I was able to learn a few things about the material. However, I did not learn that it was tacky on its own. I was making the assumption that it required an adhesive. Also, evidently, the product at audioadvisor does have an adhesive.
Regardless of all this, there are multiple flavors of it out there and rather than waste time and money ordering several, I thought I would draw on the expertise of this community and find out what experiences others may have had.

The material for this application might typically be 1/10 of an inch. How much lateral movement do you actually think I'm going to get if the top of the plane is fast to the speaker and the bottom of the plane is fast to the stand? Its only 1/10 inch thick, it certainly isn't going to allow enough lateral movement to allow a speaker to move off of a stand of the same size.
Besides, I didn't come up with this idea on my own, I learned about using this material for this application on forums. I just cannot relocate those forum threads.

Jan,
If its a requirement that in order to accept your help I also have to be subjected to your not-so-clever quips then I think I'll pass. If you want to play nice, then I welcome the help brother.

Thanks all

Gold Member

Post Number: 2679
Hammers, that material on it's own properties will stay the speaker quite well, and it's CF increases with temperature.
Ever get one of the mats for the car trunk that stops stuff from shifting around?
It feels kinda funky on its own, try rubbing it surface against self and see what you thing.

The give and take of forums is a wonderful thing, given the price, sometimes you have to take the good with the shrug of the shoulders type stuff.

As for Jan's zillion posts, I am often amused, but that's just me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Thanks Nuck.
I got a sheet of it to try out. They sheets that I did locate seem to all run about $20 for a 6inch X 6inch.
Again, appreciate the help everyone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2684
I was getting them at the dollar store for, well, a dollar.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8542

Hammers - I'll give you the same advice I've provided before. If you don't appreciate my "not-so-clever quips", let my posts pass. My name is always at the front of each one.

If you are still with me, in response to your question about how much lateral movement will a thin layer of Sorbothane allow; let me ask you a question instead. How much movement do you think a tweeter has from start position to stop position. You are dealing with very small amounts of movement in both instances. However, if the speaker cabinet moves relative to a fixed position rather than the driver's face moving relative to a fixed position, you will loose a tiny bit of information. How much? Don't know. How much will you notice? Don't know. But, Sorbothane is generally regarded as a poor choice for placement under speaker cabinets as opposed to something like BluTak. BluTak will fix the speakers in space, assuming your stand is massive enough to not be moved by the speaker's motion, and should provide better dynamics and soundstaging. Movement in speakers enclosures is normally minimized. Sorbothane will allow movement. You have some of the material on order and you can certainly find more than one application for Sorbothane in a system. But, I would recommend you compare PlastiTak to Sorbothane when it comes to attaching speakers to their stand. When applied properly, you cannot detect the Tak'd material, so I don't understand your reticence toward the product. But, they are your speakers and you get to choose what you like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Finally found the link today.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1123&page=1&pp=10

They're getting sheets twice the size for cheaper prices.
I ordered some BluTak as well to compare.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us