Subwoofer Cable

Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 8
Has anyone used the MonsterBass 400 sub cable? I found an 18ft one for a low price online, however I am not sure as to whether this cable is going to make a difference, or do anything at all being that it is only around 27 dollars for 18ft! At local stores it would cost about 60 dollars. Any advide on this cable would be greatly appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1511
Others disagree, but I think if your current sub cable doesn't introduce any noise or humm, then it's fine. I used a very cheap 25' RCA stereo cable for a while that cost all of $5. I "upgraded" to a $20 think cable and can't say it really made a difference in anything other than looks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8098
Read this

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/cables.htm

By the way, what subwoofer are you using?

United States

Post Number: 9
I have a Polk Audio PSW12 Subwoofer

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4041
simple coaxial cable with F-connectors on each end would run about $10 all together at Radioshack...been using that happily for years, ABed against my cousin's Monster sub cable and nada difference.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8506

Last time I looked neither my receiver nor my subwoofer had "F-type" connectors for the LFE output/input. And, why spend double what Peter spent if all cables are the same? Look at his post, he spent four times as much and was unable to hear the difference it made.

There seems to be a flaw in the logic of the responses so far.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1512
As I said before, for me, it's good enough if it doesn't pick up any noise or humm. I'm not an audiophile with bionic ears. I'll admit never tried a $200 cable on my $800 sub, nor upgrading to a $200 power cord. Nor do I care to.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8511

Nor did I ask you to.

The original poster said he didn't know if the cable would make any difference. No one has even asked him what "difference" he was expecting or why he wants to make a "difference". Is there a question that hasn't been asked in all the rush to Poo-Poo cables?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1513
My original answer adresses the issue; not completely but at least partially. I fail to see my flaw in logic.

United States

Post Number: 10
Well here is the reason why I was looking for a sub cable:
I originally had a Yamaha YST-SW015 sub from the home theater in a box system. Now, this Sub has about a 6 1/2 inch driver and it does give some pretty nice lows, however it's not powerful enough in actually pumping out bass "fully" all around so you can feel emersed in it.(It's only 6 1/2 inches!)

...So I bought a Polk Audio PSW12 and have been happy with it, yet not so happy. I was expecting to be listening to my music at an ample medium volume with sub setting at about halfway vol., while hearing about as much bass as my original Yamaha sub would pump out at about max vol. being that the psw12 is a 12 inch sub(just so happens that listening to music at a ample med. vol. on psw12 isn't too much better than the yamaha sub can pump out at about max.) Now if I wanted to feel bass and hear it all around rich and deep I have to have my psw12 turned up a bit more than half way and listen to my music at a high Db level to actually "feel" the bass and hear it all around really well.

So im confused as to why the psw 12 is a 12inch sub and I have to have the knob turned up a bit more than half way and have the volume on my receiver fairly high to FEEL and hear the bass really well and richly...I mean I should at least be able to hear some amazing bass and feel it with the knob turned up before the halfway mark...

So I was looking for a cable to maybe enhance the signal to the sub so I can maybe enhance the bass all around in every aspect.

By the way I am running on a yamaha htr-574 receiver. I hear Polk products need beefy power to power their speakers...?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 11
***I am running on a Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver***

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1515
I don't think a cable will change anything, really.

The Polk only has a 100W amplifier and is rated down to 33 Hz, a frequncy extension that is sufficient for music, but marginal for movie soundtracks. The sub won't fill a large room, but should be adequate for a smaller volume. I suggest trying placing the sub in different areas to maximize room response. If you can, try placing it directly behind your seat. That should allow you to lower its volume and still get adequate slam.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8517

"No one has even asked him what 'difference' he was expecting or why he wants to make a 'difference'."

"I fail to see my flaw in logic."

Gosh, PG, I guess I'm still not finding the sentence in your original post that ended in a question mark. Can you ask a question without a question mark? As you can see, your original post really had nothing to do with the expectations of young Tommy here.

Tom, a cable change isn't going to do what you are asking for. Save your money and try positioning the subwoofer in the correct location for your room. Put "subwoofer location" or "subwoofer placement" in a search engine and read the various methods you can employ to get the best bass response out of your Polk unit. Ignore the fact that you've heard Polk speakers take plenty of power to drive. It's not always true and it doesn't concern you. You have a powered sub which provides the power for your subwoofer by means of an internal amplifier.

Where the level control on the subwoofer sits is immaterial to how it performs. The only point you need to know is whether it performs to your satisfaction at any setting. Volume controls and level controls are all different and where one is set is not a direct comparison to another unit. Set the control where it sounds good and forget you ever owned the Yamaha. You might want to refer the the Polk owner's manual for how to properly set up the subwoofer.

Your Yamaha "subwoofer" could not reproduce the lowest frequencies of the music and is a "thumper" in the upper bass only. What it does compared to the Polk are two different things. Listen to music with deep bass on both subs and you should be able to pick out the low frequencies the Polk can produce and the Yamaha cannot. Which one has to be turned up louder is not of any consequence.

Work with the position of the sub in your room and also walk around the room to make certain your listening position is in a location in the room where the bass sounds good. Rooms drastically affect bass response and even though the subwoofer might be making deep bass, if your chair is in the wrong spot, you won't hear it. Read the articles on sub placement and try several spots for performance. Don't expect the Polk to sound like the Yamaha, it won't. It is doing better bass than the Yamaha and you just have to learn what better bass sounds like rather than a thumpy bottom end.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4053
> Last time I looked neither my receiver nor my subwoofer had "F-type" connectors for the LFE output/input.

Probably am using the wrong terminology. My "F-connector" converts the needle-like end of a coaxial cable into the thicker round RCA cable pin.

> And, why spend double what Peter spent if all cables are the same?

True. I just happened to already have a spare coaxial cable lying around, heh.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1517
LOL. In my first post, I said a new cable wouldn't make a difference. That still stands. I might have contributed to him saving his money, so that seems helpful to me. The fact that I didn't ask a question is not a flaw in logic in my book, J.V.

In my second post, I again suggested a cable change would not help and suggested sub placement based on further information.

It's a good thing you're here to advise everyone on how to help others J.V. ! I don't think we could manage it! :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8547

Seems impossible; doesn't it, PG?

Just what does constitute a flaw in your logic? Arriving at the right answer by means of the wrong thought process is not logic. You wanted to tell Tommy that you don't think cables make a "difference". However, you didn't ask the right question. You weren't interested in actually solving the problem, just letting us know you can't hear the difference with even the scientific exeriment of using a $20 cable in your system. $20!!! Sheeesh, what's the point of even using a cable at that point? That's a flaw in logic in my book, Peter. And, it goes on your permanent record.

There's a process to helping someone, Peter. You missed it this time. Admit it. And stop with the attitude. It's very unflattering.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 83
Tommy,
Another thing to consider is if you have your fronts set to large or small. With my pioneer reciever (not sure about yamaha) I have to set the sub to "plus" when my speakers are set to large or i don't really get much out of the sub. If they are set to small then it should pick up the lows.

I'll also agree with placement is a big issue as well as there is a difference between the "thumpy bass and good bass"

Sometimes the cheapo subs sound like they are hitting better but they are only really hitting one note (like most subs in a car) where the higher end subs hit more notes so you don't get that drastic difference of the sub doing very little work then that one big note and little work again.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1518
Man, just who is the one with the attitude?!

CUT IT OUT! Every single one of your posts to me is unflattering and sarcastic.

Q: Is this cable going to make a difference?
A: I don't think so.

No further question is required to answer that question. No flaw in logic. Now go away and quit bothering me.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8552

PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8553

Bother, bother, bother, PG.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 986
Polk PSW12 has no cahones. Get a sub with balls if you want to feel the bass. You can sit right on top of that sub and it will still not be good. Take it back and get something decent.

HSU
SVS

both the above have subs at $400 that will perform much better than even the top Polk sub. Good speakers, bad subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 41
i 2nd kano.

polk subs suck.

i own a hsu stf-2. the volume is set at a lil before 10:30 and has more than enough bass to fill a room. its a 10" sub but puts out great bass. i sit 10 feet from it while listening and at higher volume it slams you in the chest. :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1520
What a child...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8569

Funny thing, I was thinking the exact same thing of you. PG, you're the one being bothered. I couldn't care less.

Peter, I've told you I have nothing against you. But, every time I disagree with you, you get all pissy and spastic. Why don't you just forget it and go with the flow. If you have a point, argue the point. Don't just say you've helped someone when you obviously haven't. And, don't start making me the bad guy here. This forum is give and take. You just don't seem prepared to take anything. Give and take, give and take. Let's try it like that for a while; OK?

Come on, guy, grow up. How old are you? Physically, I mean? 'Cause you behave like a little kid. I know you're smart about this stuff. Why not act like it?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1521
Look up bipolar sometime. LOL!

You act like a child, then later post something reasonable to make yourself look good to the crowd. You are just so predictable.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8578

PG - Do you talk to your analyst about me?

Don't you wish you could just quit me?

Do you think real hard about these replies you make to me?

I repeat; why don't you just get over your personal problems with me and deal with the forum as an adult? You're the one dragging this out, PG. Like I said, I couldn't possibly care less about your paranoid delusions. All you have to say is, "I will behave as an adult". Why don't you give it a try?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1524
Yeah, right.

I'll just do my best to ignore you.

"Bother, bother, bother, PG."

A real adult...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8582

Awww, PG ... BOO!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 96
i use the same cable. it works just great, no interference etc. I use it with a b&w asw675. I've never had an issue with it (monsterBAss 400). I have used audioquest, straightwire, and other brands that i cannot recall at the moment with no discernable difference in quality of bass. i.e. punch, depth, loudness, etc. I haven't used any scientific experiments to form my hypothesis :-) but i would imagine that you are getting reasonably close to the most that you can get out of your sub with your connection. Don't waste money on cables for your sub. If you're not happy with your current sub setup, buy a different sub outside of the polk realm.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 97
sorry didnt notice was a dead thread. had a few cocktails and wanted to type stuff :P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us