Any suggestions for an extremely cheap system?

Username: Crazy_horse

Post Number: 1
Hello, all. Been browsing the forums and I decided I'd go for it and just ask for some advice.

I recently graduated from college. As you might imagine, I'm not exactly rolling in cash right now. On the other hand, I've gotten some money in the way of graduation presents, and it's not going to do me any good sitting in a savings account somewhere.

I'm sick of listening to music on my computer speakers, which I've been doing for the last four years or so. I have around 400 dollars to spend on a stereo setup. I could push it and spend 500, and I'd prefer to spend even less than 400 (but I know that's not likely).

I listen mostly to jazz and "classical" CDs, but I also have a fairly extensive collection of soul, metal, hip hop, carnatic indian ragas, etc etc., split between CDs and LPs.

To get to the point: does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach putting together a decent and cheap stereo system for regular close listening? I know I don't want to waste money on one of those ridiculous "boom box" setups that you find at box stores like best buy, but I really don't have the money to spend on anything but the lowest of the high end. Are there any obvious solutions to my problem (which is that I am poor but don't want to settle for horrible sound quality when listening to music)? Should I just stick with my headphones for now, or is there some way to piece together a good (enough) stereo system at my meager price point?

Just to clarify: I already have a decent phonograph that I'd like to use. It doesn't have a preamp, so the receiver would need to have a phono input. Also, I have a pair of Grado SR-80s that I've grown to love, and I would like to use them as well from time to time, although I'm not sure it would make much of a difference in choosing any part of the setup.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 966
Sticking totally to 2 ch or looking to possibly move to 5.1 at some time?

Post Number: 2
Staying at 2 channel. I don't have a TV and I don't plan on getting one, nor do I have more than a few SACDs.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 14
I suggest investing more of your resources on speakers than receiver. I'm no audiophile, but here's a couple of suggestions:

Pioneer Elite A-35R receiver($175)
http://www.soundpros.com/pioneer_elite_home.cfm

and
Wharfedale Evolution 8 speakers($300)
http://www.audioadvisor.com/

I'm quite certain there are other options available for speakers at this price point, but I dont have much experience. I've heard many recommend Paradigm bookshelf speakers. If you like 'bright' sound, maybe the Athena AS too. Since you like Jazz and classical, you'll like Wharfedales.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4037
Harman Kardon 3380 receiver, $200 shipped from jr.com

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=HK+3380&JRSource=PriceGrabb er.datafeed.HK+3380

Onix XL-S bookshelf speakers, $230 shipped from av123.com

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

...though personally I think that the extra $150 would be worth every penny for the neutrality, accuracy and midrange fullness of the Ascend CBM-170s:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the recommendations. I may have to look into getting a bit more cash for the CBMs. On the other hand, I neglected to mention that I need a CD player as well. Any suggestions on that front, or are there a lot of recommendations around the forum?

Post Number: 4
Just to clarify: the CD player is not included in the 400 dollar limit. Although obviously the cheaper the better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4038
here you go, this one did very well against a $500 CDP that I compared it against in a local shop:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARCC4300

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2641
Good one, Ed, you beat me to it.

cori, if you can find better on a budget than this, you might be Houdini.

You asked, and you got.

Buy, dammit!

Post Number: 5
Will do! Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm probably going to go for the onix speakers, so I'll have to wait until early june to make the purchase (they seem to be out of stock right now). I'll be sure to drop a line and more thanks after they've come in.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1301
Sorry to turn things a little upside down here but...

I'd get as few things at a time and devote as much to them individually as possible. If you're going to spend $400-$500 (not including CD player as you mentioned), get the most for your money with one component. This price range could get you a good new integrated amp, and an even better second hand integrated amp. Since you have the headphones, I'd stick with them for a while and save up some more money for the speakers down the road. If you buy something mediocre now, you're going to look for better shortly thereafter.

For an integrated amp, look into NAD, Rotel, Marantz, and Arcam. Their entry level units should fall within that range, and their higher range ones can be found second hand within your price range. I think all except for the NAD units have a phono stage built in. The entry level NAD and seperate phono stage can be had within your budget.

Also, NAD refurbished gear can be found for very good prices from what I hear is a very good dealer -
http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/nadspec.htm

You can get the NAD C352 integrated amp, which is a very good integrated for $469, and the C542 CD player, which is also very good for $369. The C521BEE CD player is good as well, but the extra $120 for the C542 is definately worth it. They have free shipping right now and if you're buying both the integrated and CD player, ask them if they'll knock off a few bucks. You'd still need a phono pre amp however, and NAD has one for about $120. Again, ask if they'll give you a break.

I don't think you're going to find anything near the performance of thses pieces for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1007
Cori if you are game for used equipment that comes from a pretty solid store take a look at Satuday Audio Exchange http://saturdayaudio.com

They just had a clearance on Saturday morning of a whole bunch of stuff they have piled up through exchanges. You can go with an older Macintosh or Rotel for a really great sound plus a CD player and used speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4044
cori,

oh btw just wanted to make sure you're aware that the Onix XL-S does not come with speaker grilles.

Post Number: 6
@ed: forgive my ignorance, but will that make much of a difference in SQ?

@stu pitt: I appreciate your input. I'm not sure that I'll have the funds in the coming years to put together a system in a higher price range, which is why I'm trying to piece things together all at once right now (if I don't spend the money when I have it, it'll end up turning into a bunch of roast beef sandwiches, overpriced movies etc).

I understand that I'm compromising quality to do that, but unfortunately I'm limited by my budget not just for right now but for the next 5 years or so (I'll be going back to school in a year or two). Also, I'm new to all of this (remember I've been listening to music on a tiny creative 2.1 computer setup for the last 4 years) so I'm banking on the fact that ANY new equipment will dazzle me into satisfaction.

My impulse is to buy the 500 or so system, and then 5 or 10 years down the road when I'm actually making money, start investing in a higher level system. I will give some thought to your suggestions, though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4045
no it won't, in fact people find that most speakers sound better w/o grilles for serious music listening.

The grilles do come in handy if your speakers are within reach of kids, pets, or in a highly dusty environment though. Not to mention WAF. I think that Onix will soon be releasing optional add-on grilles for a nominal fee.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1389
cori,

In your original post, you mentioned that you wanted this system for 'close listening'. How close are we talking here? I appreciate that your Creative 2.1 is probably very low quality. A step up from that but still in the same mould (2.1) would be the Acoustic Energy AegoM. This has tiny metal satellites and a powered sub. The sound quality is remarkably good. That would allow you to get a relatively decent sound from your computer and from any preamp you plug into it. The sound quality is remarkably good and it can fill a small/average sized room well. Not stomping party levels but not bad either. It retails in the UK for the equivalent of about $180.

The AegoM has 3 inputs. You could buy a phono stage such as ProJect's Phono Box (which I favour) and which retails for around $100 in the US I believe, plug it straight in, and also an inexpensive CD player (NAD's C521BEE comes to mind). This system would sound pretty respectable (everyone who hears the Aegos for the first time gets a shock at the scale and capability of these little monsters), and you could use the Aegos on your computer or 2nd system in future. Have a look at:

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M_spec.asp

Incidentally, there is a 5.1 version of this system, and I used to easily drive a 15x13 room with that - always a surprise at how good they are.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the advice, frank. Maybe I should look into the Aego's and the phono stage (for around 300 total), and start saving the remainder of the money for a higher price range system in the future.

When I said close listening, I mean that I sit in a room with the lights off and listen to an opera or an orchestral piece etc. As of right now I do this using my headphones (as mentioned above, grado sr-80s) plugged into the front i/o panel of a creative x-fi soundcard.

I would like to have the freedom to listen to CDs run through speakers, though, both because there are certain qualities that headphones seem to lack and also because I'd like for my girlfriend to be able to listen attentively along with me.

I will give your suggestiong some thought. Thanks.

Post Number: 8
I've given some thought to the aego's and I'm not sure that I'd actually end up saving as much money as I thought. Right now, I feel like I might go with the

-Harman Kardon 3380 receiver
-Onix XL-S bookshelf speakers
-MARANTZ CC4300 5 Dics Carousel CD Changer

That'd take me to around $550 and (along with cables) I'd be ready to listen to music right away. I have a week or two before the speakers are even available for purchase, so I'm going to poke around and give some more thought to the suggestions that have been made, but I think that for the price and for the relatively low standards I have (considering what I'm currently using) that this system will be more than adequate.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Sounds like a good setup. The frequence response of XL-S starts at 55 Hz. So, would you be concerned about bass response?

Post Number: 9
Pardon my ignorance; I'm assuming that means the XL-S will have less of a bass presence, right?

If that is the case, I'm not too worried. I'm planning on listening mostly to jazz and classical on these speakers. I like to be able to hear the bass, but I don't really need to feel it (it'd be nice of course, but it's an added bonus that I'd be fine without). If they really don't seem to have enough oomph I suppose I could always add a cheapish sub down the road, too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I should've been clearer with my post. Yes, I was suggesting you might miss some bass response. My speakers dont provide low bass either. I focus on vocals while listening to music and dont miss a subwoofer. I did consider getting a budget sub for a while, but with the favorite HSU STF-2 costing $400, I decided to pass for now... till finances allow :-)

Post Number: 10
Ok, bit of an update on my situation. I'm still pretty set on buying the stuff I outlined earlier, but I was just given a kenwood 103ar stereo reciever (in the course of moving out of my apartment etc).

I'm wondering if there's any chance that I could save for now on the harmon kardon reciever and just use the kenwood to drive the onix speakers? If the sound quality would be horrible, or if it wouldn't have enough power, then I can just get the HK up front. On the other hand, if it'd do a tolerable job for the time being, then maybe I could eventually go in for the HK or a higher level reciever.

Oh, and as noted above, I'm not particularly stringent about SQ in the first place. I want to be able to listen attentively without being distracted by poor quality; on the other hand, I'm not an advanced enough listener to really get subtle nuances in quality.

I'd really appreciate the input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
In my experience, speakers have been the crucial link to good sound. I'm sure you'll enjoy Onix speakers even with the Kenwood receiver. I used my speakers with receivers of different makes and the difference (to my newbie ears) was not dramatic. Switching speakers, however, made a tremendous difference. I'd suggest going with the Kenwood for now, and whenever upgrade itch strikes, get the HK!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2728
Cori, stay with the nice little set-up you have, and get references for further uprades a little further down the line.
A Jazz and classical system may want some bass down the line, but is not as demanding right now as a rock selection might be.ie:nothing without it.

A pure Jazz system is one of the most demanding set-ups to have.The requirements of speed and smoothness lead to systems that can run into 5 figures.

Start slow, and listen to as much live music as possible.

And enjoy the music!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 485
heres my cheap system that sounds pretty darn good;

1. Onkyo 8011 -- Cost 80 dollars on ebay-
2. Ascend CBM 170s-- (I custom finished em) but w/o that 328.
3. CD player- Actually a Magnavox cd player for 32 dollars new. Works fine. Sears.
4. Pioneer PL-516 Turntable from 1977( was in my old bedroom)- clean and new stylus/cartridge- 43 dollars

Total is 483.

The key is finding highly efficient speakers you really enjoy- this means less dollars needed on a receiver, as power now is less of a priority. For all of the talk about Marantz/Denon/Yamaha/Panasonic/Onkyo/H-K receiver differences- they are slight or non-existent with this situation as far as sound quality sort of like driving 50 or 53 or 55 in the middle lane. It takes a little more mula to really jump up to the next step IMHO.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 486
The magnavox is actually a DVD player I use for CDs only.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us