NAD 272 power consumption.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 28
HI,

I can't find thsi answer on the net. Does anyone know the power consumption of the NAD 272 power amp? It's rated at 150w output, so at 25% efficeincy that's 600w draw on the line at full volume. aka loud, i never go there

Now, when i pick up my second 272 and run them in mono, NAD rates them at "nearly tripiling the power output" So lets say they are 400w monoblocks. My speakers are rated at 6 ohm (monitor audio R8s).

When set up like that and turned up a fair bit (not to crazy, but loud enough that you have to raise your voice to talk to someone 4ft away) will I have any issues running those two amps on a single 15amp 120V line? That same line also feeds my CD player and NAD 162 pre. I do use a basic panamax powerbar.

Will it trip the breaker? Would it be better to run them off seperate lines? does the 6 Ohm ratinf of my speakers an issue? Do you have beer money?

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 29
...does the 6 Ohm ratinf of my speakers an issue? ......

Read: Will the 6 Ohm speaker rating be a problem? Because in a bridged set up the Ohm rating is halfed, 3 Ohm in my case.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8484

Will the six Ohm rating of your speakers be a problem? Not if your amplifiers don't mind. Honestly, it is not the current draw from the wall outlet that should be of concern unless the amps have virtually no storage capacitance and a very loosely regulated power supply. This shouldn't be a problem with the NAD. Will the amps like your speakers? That's a different answer.

You shouldn't require separate lines for the two amplifiers, though this is always a good idea. Expensive, but good. At this point I would suggest you look into a higher end power line conditioner for at least the amplifiers. The Panamax is probably your limiting factor at this point. They are very good at surge protection and have a fairly benign effect on most systems. But for top notch dynamics and bottom end response look into something with some capacitance to it.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 31
Hi Jan, thnaks for the reply.

A second power line like you say is nice, but costly. I assume and read that the NAD 272 has a big power supply, I can see through the top, looks like a chicken pot pie :-) Damn, some of those Panamax units can cost as much as a single 272.

You posted "Will the amps like your speakers? That's a different answer. "

Do you mean is sound terms or load terms? And you never answered the beer money question.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8487

"You posted 'Will the amps like your speakers? That's a different answer'."

"Do you mean is sound terms or load terms?"

Yes.

"And you never answered the beer money question."

Beer money is reserved for questions such as, "Which speaker should I buy?" This answer requires Single Malt Scotch money.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2618
Glenmorangie with a charcoal finish on order from the local hootcherie.(sp)

Jan's buying!
And the Macintosh 275 is looking pretty darn good!
C'mon tax check!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 47
ROLF!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2705
Dan, the power consumption is listed on the nameplate on the back panel.
A seperate power lead still goes on the same circuit.Or leg.Or bus on the panel.
An end of line conditioner is the best solution.

As for performance, that Nad setup should be very very good.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 48
Hey Nuck, I'll have to look again. I must have missed it when behind my crappy rack, with all those wires in the way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2724
Use the little mirror on a hinge, Dan.
And dust back there would ya?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us