Krell preamp

Username: Chris690

Post Number: 1
I hear many things about krell gear, about how great it is, i like to believe this. it seems their build quality is incredable. is it worth the price im considering buying a used krell AVS preamp, just looking for some opinions

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2602
What model, Chris?
The pre-amp forum might be better.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8478

Chris - Sorry you get to be the one who sets me off but this seems to be a common problem on this forum. An absolute bare minimum of information is provided and we are supposed to give an answer that supplies the rest of the information.

"Is a F-150 pick up truck what I should buy? I've read good things about them?"

Where do you begin? We need more information.

How are we supposed to know whether a Krell pre amp is worth the money to you? You don't tell us what equipment you presently own, so we don't know if you're trying to hook this pre amp up to a receiver or a separate power amplifier. One might not work at all and the other possibly wouldn't be a good match for the Krell. We have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with this change. Are you trying to improve the sound quality of your system? That might sound stupid to ask, but you've only indicated you're taken by the build quality of the Krell. If you want something well built, The Krell will satisfy that requirement, but so will dozens of other brands. Why do you want to make the change, Chris? What doesn't your system presently do that you would like to improve? What makes you think the Krell might be the answer to your desires other than you've read good things about the gear? Can you audition a Krell or is this a blind purchase from a previous owner?

Help us out, Chris, with some more information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2615
Do tell, Chris.

Post Number: 2
I am buying a krell fpb600 within the month, and naturally want a matching preamp. the krell AVS is the preamp that i am curious about. I am currently running a cerwin vega 1977 A600 2x600 watt amp, and a harman kardon HK3475 pre. sounds decent nothing audiophile grade obviously ( i know, i know ) and two vega E-715's, just trying to get the preamp and amp outta the way because me and another freind who is going to school for audio engineering, and acoustical engineering are planning to build speakers from the ground up. I totally realize that my current system is nothing to rave about however it is capable of some serious spl, until last year ive been a head banging rock listener mostly, but am now realizing the greater finesse and detail of music and simply want the best possible musical reproduction i can afford, while still conforming to my loud as hell taste. im am also absolutely impressed with the sound from my mac1700 circa 196x, if that may possibly give you guys a clue to what kind of sound i prefer.

Any feedback would be great, thanks alot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2656
The Outlaw 970 is as capable pre as I have seen in mainstream gear, and the support is A1.

The Outlaw gang is fearless and have tons, TONS of mileage to offer.

High quality unit and the backing of lots of friendly people, with years in the industrial dept.

I have called them before (Scott on the phone)m no BS.

Considering your Mac stuff, these guys can fix you up modern-like, and you can save some $ for the Mac in your home setup.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8498

" ... simply want the best possible musical reproduction i can afford ... "

Uh, let's just check the files for how many people said they wanted the worst musical reproduction they could afford.

Hold on, I'm looking.

Still looking.

Looking.

Looking.

OK, I'd settle for someone saying they wanted mediocre performance. Let's start looking for that.

Aw, hell, I can't find anyone who doesn't say they want the best and I'm tired of reading these posts that can't tell me what they consider good.

Chris, if you're buying the Krell amp, buy the Krell pre amp. It's decent gear that should last along time and resell for a fair amount of its cost. Play loud and when you get to the point that you understand what the McIntosh does that impresses you, let us know.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1386
Chris,

If you're buying an FPB600 it makes a lot of sense to use the matching preamp. That said, McIntosh has a very strong following too. As it happens, Jan knows the Macs quite well so he would be able to advise you on the one you you have.

That said, don't forget the importance of your source! The CD player/turntable/tuner is - in many ways - the most important part of the system. If the signal coming out of the source isn't right, it can't be fixed miraculously by the amp or speakers. In fact, if you have a really good amp/speaker combination, they can really show up a deficient source.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
Jan Vigne chill out ok man, its childish correct me ok... ask for more info thats fine, but take it easy. Nuck, frank abela, thanks for your non mocking help. Ok the mac1700 i have has a very broad soundstage very deep and enveloping. thats prob the quality i like the most about it and ive heard krells in the past specifically a kav 500 int. amp/pre sounded very clean detailed, anyone know if the the big krells and pre setups differ at all. i have the mac i know what it sounds like and a couple places ive read have stated that the macs sound hasnt really changed over the years, the krell sounded less warm then the mac, but is this warmth simply coloration specific to this amp or brand? Thank you nuck ive heard but dont know much about outlaw gear the 970 looks like a good part. im gonna look it up.

"and when you get to the point that you understand what the McIntosh does that impresses you, let us know."

i know what the mac does i like, i just didnt include it in a prior post.

Qualities i look for in a pre/amp setup as well as speakers is as many do neutrality detail seamless crossover pts (spkr) maybe i like a slighly warm tube sound but love the bass impact and clarity and trebel fidelity of a high end solid state. is there any preamp that may match a fpb600 well but also add a slight warmth to its sound. ive read about the fbp600 and the review is what convinced me to buy it worst comes to worst i could prob get a great resale for it, as Jan Vigne said. The review/s said it is very neutral, so im hoping to somehow "warm it up the slightlest amount". but hey you never know it may sound fine the way it is
i`ll have to hear it first, i just needed another power amp this CV a-600 is laughable.

thanks - chris

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8515

I thought I had asked you to include what you liked about the Mac. My advice, if you want it, is buy more McIntosh. Other than that, I'm tapped out. I'm chilled with a cold one and you guys can take it from here.

Good luck, Chris.

Post Number: 4
thanks and sorry i got irritated, im sure newcomers arent the easiest thing to stomach...lol

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1398
Chris,

It's unusual to mix a Krell power amp with an alternative brand of preamp. That said, I believe it has been done successfully with Audio Research and Graaf, both of which are predominantly tube preamps. However, tubes don't necessarily mean a warm sound (which is what I think you're after), so do try to choose with care.

Normally, my advice is to go listen. Find a dealer and listen to the alternatives so you can know what you're buying. After all, this isn't chicken feed money. Dealers get a bad rap in most parts, but the fact is they have a lot of expertise and can help you decide what you like. That's the service you pay for with a dealer.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us