Digital coaxial vs multi channel in

Username: Cerebus

Post Number: 4
Which is the better connection? My manual doesn't specify and I want to ensure that I am getting surround sound. I always thought didital was better but the way the manual is worded kind of leans towards the multi channel in. Thx for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 154
Digital coaxial and optical inputs are for movies and multichannel analog input is for DVD-Audio and SACD discs. You can listen to DVD-A's via coaxial/optical, however, when you switch the receiver to direct multichannel input, the sound will be much better and what you hear is true surround mix of the disc. You must use the player's DD/DTS decoders and bass management in direct multichannel mode.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Forgot to say for movies you'll need to listen to both optical or coaxial and direct multichannel to see which one is better. Many people prefer using the player's decoders but many receivers have excellent decoders with more flexible crossover settings. Only your ears will decide for you.

Username: Cerebus

Post Number: 5
thx for the help kev

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
NP, bud!

Bronze Member
Username: Peychaud

Post Number: 20
I've got a semi-related, probably overly subjective question.

I'm interested in buying a universal DVD-A SACD player, but the only one I can afford right now would be an inexpensive one--$100-$200.

Is the quality of reproduction in a "cheap" universal player (presumably with a "cheap" DAC) going to be appreciable with a relatively modest system (HK AVR 635 and Athena speakers)? Would I be better off waiting to purchase a more expensive universal player since the quality of reproduction is a function of the DAC in the player more than the receiver and a more expensive universal player is likely to have a higher quality DAC?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 972
What players are you looking at? I've yet to see a cheap player capable of SACD and DVD-A playback.

The Yamaha 1500 jumps to mind at $350-$400 as a good entry level player, and the cheapest model I considered.

Bronze Member
Username: Peychaud

Post Number: 21
The Pioneer DV-588A-S sells for around $130 from Amazon, and probably cheaper elsewhere. There was also a Toshiba whose model number escapes me that was less than $200.

Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 2
I'm using the Pioneer DV-563A, which is even cheaper. It works great for both SACD and DVD-A, although the bass management leaves a lot to be desired. For DVD-A, the crossover is set to 200 Hz, so I turn bass management off by setting all speakers to large.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us