Tower Speakers!?

Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 3
Im currently looking for a really nice pair of tower speakers. I can get a pair of Infinity Primus 360's for $300 and I hear that they are a really nice pair. Is there anything else out there within a $400 price range anyone can recommend that are better than the 360's? By the way, what is your view on JBL Towers and Polk Towers?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2546
Athena 2.2's.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 406
Yep, Athena Audition AS-F2.2 to be exact. Power 'em with a warm amp such as NAD, HK or Marantz. Forget the AS-F1.2s. If they sound like the previous version AS-F1, there is weakness in the upper bass range that ALWAYS makes voices sound thin.

www.athenaspeakers.com

Buy at www.audioadvisor.com

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3981
The Polk Monitor 50s are $400 and not too bad, but I'd pick the Athena F2s as well.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7997
I like the Athenas as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2556
So buy, Tommy, buy!
And do let us know...
You aint gonna go too far wrong.

United States

Post Number: 4
I currently have a Polk PSW12 subwoofer, so I am not really looking for much more bass which I am sure the Athena's will deliver. I'm looking towards more richer and cleaner sound. What makes the f2.2's better than the Polk Monitor 50's and Infinity primus 360's? Can anyone describe to me how tower speakers are better than the speakers I have now which are from the Yamaha yht-450 htib system? Is it really going to make a difference in terms of Quality sound?

By the way I am running on a Yamaha htr-5740 so would that be good enough?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 170
I will answer in reverse order to the questions asked:

Yes.

Towers are "better" in that your splitting up the chores to a few drivers, tweeter and woofer, rather than one single (and small) driver. Further you can feed drivers more power without blowing them out, therefore play them louder without stressing them. The sound is usually of a higher quality as well: fuller, deeper, with more resonance than a plastic cigarette carton can provide... Polk's subs are not exactly their speciality, but what made you buy a 12 in sub vice the 8 in that came with your set?

I cannot say what or if the Athena's are better than the Polks but you better hope so for 100$ more per speaker...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3989
If you are happy with the bass from your PSW12 then I would not bother with any of those towers, just buy an M-T-M speaker like the Monitor 40 which goes for around $300/pair. The extra midwoof will give you a fuller soundstage but be easier to drive than bigger bass drivers such those on the Athenas.

What's your receiver anyway?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2565
Ed, a Yamaha htr-5740.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1119
take a look at the Paradigm Esprits as well

United States

Post Number: 5
What made me buy the 12 inch sub was because the actual sub that came with the whole set had a 6 1/2 inch driver and it didn't give me the bass and fullness I wanted(It came with the Home Theater in a box system so there ya go). These are the specs of what I have now

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_450_2.htm

Ill eventually make up my mind on whether to get athenas polks or infinitys...

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 171
Ah, thats a different sub than came with my first entry-level yammie... odd that you would have bought a "better" system than I had, but got a crappy sub... the sub I got was pretty good (all things considered), but it was with 4 sattelites instead of your two "mains".

Whatever you choose for floorstanders, try to audition them first and while an A/B comparrison is hard to arrange, that would be ideal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3994
> Ed, a Yamaha htr-5740.

yikes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
Yamaha-Athena combination is not recommended. It will be too bright.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1127
thats why I threw in paradigm, paradigm go well with yamaha.

I agree with jan... I am really getting so I dislike reccomending components that compliment each others flaws.

The yamahas have a history of brightness, while some see the paradigms as "laid back," I myself think that paradigms have nice highs, so take this for what you want. (the laid back statement can be kind of a backhanded compliment)

If you meld a speaker with a reciever that compliments its flaws, the result is not always pleasent, but I have heard a decent number of yamaha paradigm pairings that I can vouch that it sounds good.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3719
What about the Klipsh Synergy F3's ? I know they have the dual 6 1/2" versian and dual 8" versian. Its on sale right now online at bestbuy and you can pick it up at the store. You get a 30 day return policy. I hear great things about them.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3720
By the way, what is the RMS on each Athena Audition AS-F2.2 tower ?

I am trying to decide between the Athena or Klipsh floorstanding speakers that they have on the bestbuy.com site. Bestbuy is sold out and they only sell it online. I listen to all types of music and whould prefer not to have to add a extra subwoofer to the mix unless i have to.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3723
Nevermind, after some research and all i went with the Athena Audition AS-F2.2 set from www.audioadvisor.com

Cant wait to hear them guys. Anyone here own this or heard them ?

Username: Diggity

Post Number: 1
I need some help deciding between two different sets of speakers. I'm considering the Polk Audio RTi8 and the Monitor Audio Bronze B4. Their both floorstanding speakers, about the same price ($600/pair), and both sound pretty good.

Unfortunately, I have heard the Polk Audio speakers at Fry's and the Monitor Audio at Magniola. Both brands seem to be sold in only a very few stores, and I can't find a single place that sells both for a side by side comparison. Can anyone offer some advice?

My system is currently run by a Sony STR receiever (which will be replaced in the next 6 months), a Polk Audio center channel, and some Energy speakers for the rear.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Diggity

Post Number: 3
I can't find a way to remove my previous post. I decided to make it a new threat. Sorry for the repeat.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1132
you do not want to pair klipsch with yamaha

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
MO...The Athenas will be way bright out of the box but they settle down in a few weeks. But man, I had a Yamaha RX-595 to start with when I bought my AS-F2s. The combination hurt my ears. There is a guy on here named "HAWK" that recommended NAD amplification. I bought a C370 integrated amp and have been happy as a clam ever since. You want warm amplification to compliment the Athenas. HK & Marantz are fine too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
Oh...lost track of who has the Yamaha here! Whatever...Just don't pair up Athenas with a Yamaha!

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3733
Rick, I have a 1989 sony reciever that puts out 135 watts rms a channel and its been working fine since then. I hear the Athenas are efficiant and sounds really nice.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3737
Rick, I have a 1989 sony reciever that puts out 135 watts rms a channel and its been working fine since then. I hear the Athenas are efficiant and sounds really nice.

I listen to mostly rap and dance and rock and alittle of everything else and movies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
I listen to Rock, Pop & Dance. The sound is rich and robust. Bass has strength and is very deep. They remain detailed and clear even at high volume levels. Don't forget to let them break in a couple weeks at moderate volume before you push them hard. They'll be bright out of the box but the tweeters calm down and the bass fills out in time.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3755
Sounds Good Rick. I plan to run them mainly for music but i will want to hook it up to watch movies aswell. I may need to get a reciever that will be able to handle both in the future. What is a good reciever for this ? I am on a budget of like $300 ballpark.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
Well, the best bang for your buck will be a Harman-Kardon. They are priced well and you can get a good deal on www.jr.com. $300 will not be enough for their AV receivers but save up for what you want rather than buying something that will disappoint you in the long run.

By the way, you can use the AUX or tape-in jacks on your Sony for stereo audio input from your VCR for movie playback now.

Personally, I think stereo video playback is just fine so an HK-3480 at 120Wpc would be the best bet for the Athenas and be within your $300 price limit.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3761
You mean DVD right ? I will be watching DVD movies and whatever else on cable tv. Im know more about car audio then home audio so bare with me. I guess im looking for the reciever to control the whole entertainment center such as music, movies, tv. That is all i need. As long as it makes the athena's sound really nice.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 471
I have the Athena F2.2s thanks to the many recommendations from my fellow ecoustics members. Despite the warnings of pairing them with a panasonic xr-55 due to a "bright sound" I went with the receiver anyway. The receiver can be found on Amazon for like $226 shipped. you went with the right speakers, I have played them with every music genre at every volume and never heard anything but perfection. You may experience better results with a HK or Marantz receiver but I have no complaints with my cheap 7.1 Panny. Yes, the bass response is not quite what I was hoping but what these speakers due to a human voice is amazing. (Im a rap/rock fan turned Sarah McLachlan fan because of these speakers).

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3808
Sounds good db-bass. Im going to probably get the HK-3480. I whould love to get the Marrantz 5600 7.1 but i cant afford that right now. Im sure the Athena's will sound great with movies once i get the HK-3480 and for music aswell.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 13
is there anywhere else I can get the athena f2.2's cheaper than $400? I have a Yamaha htr-5740 receiver, so will that be good enough to power the athenas?

MO, how do you compare how the ahtenas sound to your original speakers, can you describe in deatil? what makes them so good...I hear so much about these speakers

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3820
Im still waiting on the HK-3480. Once i get it hooked up. I will make a post on them for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us