Interconnects

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 949
Was having a discussion with some one today who suggested 75 Ohm coax cable as well as component video cables will perform as well as anything else when connecting between player/receiver, or from pre-out/amp.

Reason is after I moved my power amp to another position I had to switch to a longer cable for the RCA connection. I used a generic set of red/whites that came with my PVR (same as the component cables which I'm happy with) and am unsure what, if any cables I should purchase... some cheap ARs, or should I just use an extra set of component cables I have around? He suggested they have better shielding.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8430

It's rather impossible to say coax cables have better shielding without doing a side by side comparison between two cables under consideration. Any particular variety of either type of cable could have better shielding than another. And shielding is only part of the story.

One problem with using coax antenna cable as an audio interconnect (notice they don't use the same words to describe the application or construction of the two types of cable) is their construction. The consumer audio world has, for the most part, moved past the point where there is a single conductor for the hot side and the return and shield are shared. Two conductor shielded cables are the norm for home audio now even in an unbalanced connection. This places the shield as a separate entity which does not carry any signal at all and is used only as a shield. The hot and return lines are similar conductors which is considered desirable in audio use. This also makes soldering up a RCA connector much easier than working with a coax construction which is meant for a "F" type connector and will normally be a crimp and screw termination. If you were thinking of buying a pre-made coax and using adapters for the terminations, then the point of even asking the question is moot.

Coax will work for an interconnect as all you require is a hot and return leg. However, the difference in bulk cost between well built coax and well built two conductor interconnect cable is so minimal as to make the use of the coax a poor choice in my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 916
And the extra shielding is to protect you from.....what?

Unless you live someplace that has a high amount of electromagnetic pollution there is no extra benefit.

Making your own interconnects can provide you with a quality product at a bargain price as long as you select something that is durable, flexible and is properly terminated. Then again, there's nothing wrong with ARs.

If you're talking about interconnects to a turntable there may be some concern about the amount of capacitance in a particular cable causing problems.

The important things about interconnects is durability, flexibility, resistance to corrosion and proper termination. After that, take your pick.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2519
Yup.

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 38
Jan I am not too sure about your explanation about the difference between the types of cable. As far as I can tell from making my own cable, the centre pin carries the signal and the outer carries the ground in an RCA connection. An "F" type connection uses the same principal for signal flow. An XLR is a very different beast.

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm
This is some very interesting reading about cabling by some very well known people.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy2/guus_interlink/page01.htm
Check this one out for an interesting cable design, and will be the best if you have ground problems.

The reason that I made the comment is that coax cable is made to very high standards (75ohm) can use both a single or stranded connector and can have a single shield, double shield.

RCA's can be built to any spec out there. Any OFC will do to make cables out of. Magnet wire is some of the best but can me susceptible to noise as there is no shielding, but sounds great.

Coax is a better option as far as being assured quality as cheaply as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8438

TMO - What exactly aren't you sure about?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us