Help Me Start My Stereo System...!! (under $400??)

Username: Gheim304

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a stereo system for home theater and music enjoyment.

I'd like to get a receiver and floor/tower speakers I think. You can convince me otherwise though. I want some bass but good vocals as well. Please update me on some good deals around the web. I'd like to keep it under about $400 for the total package, and find the best available system I can get.

I know some of you will say that I can not get a good system with this price range, but its about all I can budget for this. So, please help me find the best system for my budget.

What would you do?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 942
Couple of questions -

Do you want to expand to a multi-channel system in the future and buy a receiver and a couple of speakers now?

Do you want a multi-channel system right now for $400?

Or do you just want to stick with a 2 channel system all the way? If music is your main focus a 2 channel system will deliver better quality.

If you want tower speakers the last option is the only way to really make it happen with any semplance of quality.

An HK3480 -

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z&status=

for $200 refurbished or new from WWW.JR.COM for slightly more - this 2 channel receiver paired with Athena AS-F1 or AS-F2 speakers would slightly exceed your budget but would be a good system for the money.

You WILL get better sound quality in general sticking to bookshelf speakers at your budget in general however, good towers usually start at $800 while an $800 bookshelf would far exceed the similarly priced tower speaker. This, of course, is generally speaking, the above combo is one of those exceptions - while I personally don't like or stand the sound of the Athena equipment it will be tough to beat the price/performance with towers at anywhere near that price, even buying used.

Good luck, don't rush this decision since there is SO much equipment and options to consider.

Replying with as much information about what you like and what you're looking for will help narrow the recommendations.

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 5
I'd like to have a receiver and just two towers/bookshelfs for now... maybe add a center in the future when money becomes available. Would I need something other than a 2 channel reciever for that?
I've heard that most bookshelfs would need a sub to go with them for some good bass...
You asked if I wanted a multichannel system... I dont think I do but what kind of quality would you be talking for about that $400 price?

Thanks again, and I'll check back a couple times a day to answer questions if I still need to be more specific.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 943
I would not go multi-channel if all you want to add later is a centre. The benefits of a centre do not warrant the extra expense.

If you want big bass best way to go is bookshelfs and a sub. Fitting a 2 ch receiver, bookshelfs and sub all into a $400 budget is difficult. Some recommend a do it yourself sub from www.partsxpress.com, but I wouldn't skimp on the sub. Minimum you want to spend is $400 for either an HSU STF-2 or an SVS PB-10ISD both internet direct companies.

www.svsubwoofers.com
www.hsustore.com

The HSU is better for music, SVS for movies.

Another internet direct company making great speakers for cheap is www.ascendacoustics.com
a pair of their CBM-170 SE are $368 a pair, the CMT-340 SE towers are $568 a pair.

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 7
Alright, thanks again Kano. I've already decided that a center probably won't be added in the future...Did you have any thoughts on what kind of quality I can get out of a multichannel system for about $400?

Bronze Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 98
Garrett,

For $400 in multichannel I think it will be a Home Theater in a Box which a decent one for start up. Like what Kano said if you want music only might as well go for the stereo receiver and pair of speakers (bookshelf or floorstand if possible) and if possible get a sub also for the low's.

Just my $0.01 opinion

Good Luck!
:-):-):-)

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 8
Sounds good... I liked the tower speakers thought better than home theater in a box. I haven't heard good sound out of a home theater in a box really, but think that the music could sound pretty good with towers

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 11
I like tower speakers too. Spent a lot of time reading about economy towers including Sony (MF750H) and Polk (R50). Ultimately, I purchased a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s for just under $200. They are satisfactory. For good bass, a subwoofer would be required, but I quite enjoy music even without it. With patience and an eye out for deals, you should get a good pair of speakers. The receivers I can think of are Pioneer Elite A35R for stereo and Panasonic SAXR55 for HT
Link to the Pioneer receiver
2076_4155_35186_tab=B%2C00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent,http://www.p ioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_35186_tab=B,00.html?compNa me=PNA_ProductDetailComponent
It should be cheaper at other sites.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 13
I have had good experience with pioneer in other aspects besides stereo/HT. I will look into those receievers (although, the link is messed up), but again THANKS.

What did you find in your research about the Sony and Polk towers?

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 14
Srinivas,

Where did you find the 8.3's for under $200? Thanks

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 16
Alright, I'm looking at the Fluance towers:
http://store.yahoo.com/fluance/fldycothhisp.html

or the refurbed Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's:
http://www.tamayatech.com/parts.php?i=WHDIA83BLK

Chime in!!
Still up in the air for a receiver.
(Keep in mind my budget...i'm poor)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I got them from AudioAdvisor.com. They were also available from Amazon.com. They seem to be out of stock at those sites now. The Sony towers I heard were disappointing. Not sure why though. Polk R50s I havent heard, but others on this forum discouraged me. I am impressed with the quality and sound of the Wharfedales, especially at this price point.

Here's another link to the Pioneer Elite receiver:
http://www.soundpros.com/pioneer_elite_home.cfm
Its under $200...

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 213
Garret, Ive bought Fluance speakers before and they sound very good for the price, but when compared to speakers that are alittle bit more expensive you really see their faults and flaws.

I would just steer clear of Fluance for towers speakers, their rear speakers are pretty good though.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 18
ok, for the reciever I found this at a pretty good price, 7.1 for possible additions to my system. Tell me what you think
Pioneer vsx-516
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=20775

silver or black?

still looking for the right speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
In stereo mode, I expect this receiver will drive full range speakers. In home theater mode, only satellite speakers. My only experience with a similar receiver is with bose acoustimass speakers. I would probably try this receiver out with a pair of Athena AS F1s and a sub. If you like the sound, you can add another pair of F1s and you're all set. If you find them inadequate, can move them to surrounds and add a pair of AS F2s or other similar speakers. Just my 2 cents for now..

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 29
I ended up ordering the Pioneer Elite EX-500 receiver. Haven't made up my mind on towers or bookshelfs/sub combo. For now I'll be using my parents' JBL D38 speakers.

I have read some things about not to pair certain brands together. Any heads up on whether or not to pair another brand with this Pioneer Elite system?

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1142
pioneer elite is a fairly neutral line IMHO. Although there may be certain models that deviate from that norm as posts indicate, the general consensus around here (and from personal experience) is that they are a good reciever.

Bronze Member

Manhattan, KS USA

Post Number: 36
My Review of my purchases:

Pre-Break-in Period for Subwoofer
Music Only, yet to use for DVDs/TV

I bought:

Pioneer Elite EX-500 Receiver/DVD package deal. Price: $260 shipped from HookedOnTronics.com

Made my JBL D38 Speakers sound quite a bit better than my ancient Pioneer SX-1100. Great looking too. Plenty of input/outputs. Kind of wish you could control more off the receiver itself rather than doing everything by the remote pretty much. Also, alot of the menus for the controls have to do it through the TV. But otherwise I feel like I got a really good deal.

Already had JBL D38 bookshelfs from 4 years ago. Still very good quality, but a bit big for bookshelfs, although what should you expect for having 2" tweeters 4" mids and 8" woofer. Really sound better with the new receiver. And can't beat the free price from my parents.

Athena AS-P4000 subwoofer
Price: $162 shipped from Amazon marketplace (independent seller).

Just got it and plugged it in today. Starting to sound great already. Fills the whole room w/ thunderous bass. 162 bones is a pretty solid price. 400 watts, downfiring. Really easy to use for beginners like me.

This is my first home stereo system but I have had pretty good car systems, and I know you shouldn't compare the two, but I can compare sound quality since this is my first real system. I'm really pleased to have this system for $422, getting lucky to pull some free JBL bookshelfs. I still could get some quality Infinity bookshelfs and kept it right at $500. If anyone would like to know more specific I'll fill you in. Also, if the sub sounds MUCH better after a few days, I'll post some updates. But, I assume what I'm hearing now will be the worst from it, and I'm not complaining about much now.

A BIG THANKS to all of you that helped me find some good shi!t... keeping me away from BestBuy and all. I look forward to helping others who were in my shoes a couple weeks ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Way to go! Happy listening...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us