Matching an AV Receiver with Mission M3 Speakers

Username: Trazom

Post Number: 2
I am pretty new to all this and would really appreciate some advice from some of you people who clearly know a whole lot more than I do.

I have the following speakers and need some help with matching them with an AV Receiver and some advice on what speaker cable to get.

Speakers:
Front - Mission M35
Centre - Mission M3C2
Rear - Mission 31i

Use: 50:50 Music and Movies

Budget: I would like an amp that will do the speakers justice but wont require me mortgage a house I don't own. I was considering the following but would welcome any other ideas/models that might be suitable.
Denon - 2109 or 2805/7
Harmon Kardon - 435,635,735
Yamaha - RX-V659B, RX-V2600B, RX-V559B, RX-V1500
Marantz - SR5600, SR4600

You may have noticed I don't yet have a sub. That will be a question for another time.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you have on matches and cable.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3953
That HK 635 is going for around $600 at onecall.com and jr.com --- that's what I'd get. That's a sweet deal considering that i used to sell for closer to $1000.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2428
I'd like to hear the 5600 with the missions before deciding.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 204
im pretty partial to denons higher end receivers like the 2807 and 3805/6

Post Number: 3
Edster: Thanks for the heads up on the HK and the onecall and jr sites and the good price. Do you say HK because they make great Receivers and amps or because they are especially suited to the Mission type sound.
Nuck: Is there much difference between the 5600 and the 4600
Eric: The denons always get written up well. Will they suite the Missions? Is there much of a difference between the 2807 and the 3805?

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 208
actually the ONLY difference i know of between the 2807 and the 3805 is that the 2807 has HDMI upconversion for video.

Other than that they have the exact same features.

the 3805 receiver is very warm and neutral, i have it running with Radiient Hyperion towers and the sound is just fantastic and clean, even at higher levels, there is not crackle in the mids or highs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3961
> Edster: Thanks for the heads up on the HK and the onecall and jr sites and the good price. Do you say HK because they make great Receivers and amps or because they are especially suited to the Mission type sound.

The former. I have never heard Mission speakers myself, but as I understand it the only kind of speakers you wouldn't want to hook up to a warmish receiver like a Marantz would be an overly warm speaker...and I have never heard the Missions being described in those terms.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advise Edster. What amps would you tend to steer away from? What are typically considered in the "bright camp". Are the Yamahas typically considered bright, how about the Denons? I take it from your first note that the HKs are not. I really like the look of the HK - very nice styling. They are doing something a bit different in that area.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3965
HKs are somewhere between neutral and warm, at least to my ears. I also like their looks too, but some people can't stand it.

The lower end Yammies are known to be bright, the RXV-xxxx models are said to be neutral. Ditto with Denon, though some people find even their higher end models to be on the bright side---for example I think Hawk does.

Post Number: 7
I will give the HKs a bit of a test and have a look at the Marantz. Thanks for all the info. How good did you think the auto-set is up on the HK?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3971
Supposed to be very good, but I'd still prefer to calibrate manually if at all possible.

Post Number: 10
Hi Edster, Love for you to come over and calibrate it but I think the airfare to Australia will cost more than the receiver and thereforw will have to settle for an auto set up because I am not prepared to back myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi Edster, Love for you to come over and calibrate it but I think the airfare to Australia will cost more than the receiver and thereforw will have to settle for an auto set up because I am not prepared to back myself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us