What speakers do I buy??

Username: Wescoe

Post Number: 1
I have a 1 year old H/K avr 230. I had Infinity 2ways that my roomate blew when I was out of town, but they were 10 years old. I have jbl center and rears and a 12" velodyne sub. It is a smaller room, but will buy a bigger house in the future.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7922
There are plenty of speakers that you can buy. And we can recommend all kinds that you can think of, but do you have a budget? What is available in your area? What have you listened to? Have you gone around and checked the available choices in your area?

You can pretty much decide on this once you go around and listen to what is available.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7923
But if you are limited to big chain stores, will you consider on-line dealers?

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 80
blow the jbl center :-) and purchase a center and 2 fronts that match. for that receiver, listen to standmount paradigm, dynaudio, b&w, kef, klipsch, even polk. listen, decide a budget, keep room size and listening preference in mind, and go from there. u can get away w/ using ur jbl rears for surround duty imo. which velodyne sub do u have? what kind of music? what is your listening preference ? movies or music? dvd-a, sacd, analogue, etc...
basically, what berny said :-)

Username: Wescoe

Post Number: 2
I have not shopped or listened to anything except the infinitis I had. I don't really care too much about movies or surround, the rears are not even hooked up and I mostly listen to music so the center is usually turned off. I'm game for any type of speakers, I don't wanna buy something thats gonna sound like poo, I live in KC and there are many high end audio stores around here. I listen to mostly rock, and listen to it loud, Umphrey's McGee, Radiohead, Widespread, Oasis etc.
Basically, I am assuming anything at Best Buy or Circuit City or Ultimate Electronics is poo, or is it? Is it worth spending a $1G on speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 81
yes your assumption is correct. for $1000, i wouldn't go near best buy or circuit city for 2 speakers. your best bet at this point is to go shopping since you have many high end audio stores to choose from. listen to as much as you can. don't know your room size, but i'm sure you do and have this in consideration when shopping. also your h/k receiver is good, but may not be up to the task depending on which speaker setup you like. if you like loud rock, maybe klipsch and paradigm are a good start. if you like the klipsch over others when listening, you can use your h/k receiver w/o worrying about power as the klipsch design is generally an easy drive. good luck

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 197
if he likes rock, that means hard bass for the most part and he will need a subwoofer without question

i would recommend HSU stf-2 for $400

Gold Member

Post Number: 7936
Jim, I believe you should stick with that sub for a bit until you determine that it is not adequate for your needs or you perceive a limitation.

Concentrate on auditioning some of the speakers available in your area. With that budget, you will be hard pressed to find a pair of speakers that will not meet your needs. You'll have plenty of choices.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
oh my mistake i missed that he already had a sub, scratch my comment unless you think you need a new one

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3958
Jim,

If you have to spend $1K, I'd seriously consider these---and you might not even need a sub since they are supposed to go down to 38Hz:

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
wow those are pretty impressive speakers there ed

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1264
"if he likes rock, that means hard bass for the most part and he will need a subwoofer without question"

Not necessarily. I listen to rock/metal almost exclusively and have no desire for a sub. The right tower speaker can put out a lot of quality bass. I've heard very few subs that I thought integrated seemlessly and keep up musically with speakers for music.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1265
by 'the right tower speaker,' I meant correct.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us