How to take care the speaker cone ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 77
Guys,

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S2 use for my surround.
Some of you maybe have known that this S2 using the rubber material (not foam) for its speaker cone.

Okay, I seldom use this S2 - probably only once in a month. But I let them unpacked and just sitting in my living room.
Recently, I noted that this speaker rubber cone get dust and I think its probably dry.

So, please let me know how to take care this speaker rubber cone ?
Can we use the leather oil / cooking oil to polish the cone ? Is it not harmful ?
Fyi, I've experienced one of speaker minicompo finally tear off which I suspect the cone get dry.

Thanks for your informations.

Sun

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8402

Do nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2397
Play them a bit loud to knock off the dust, and compare the anomolous one with the other, not likely a matter at all.
Nice speakers, why not use them more, they would be happier.
Move them to the front for a change of pace and play with placement, if possible.
Good exercise and free fun, as well.

Cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Thanks to Nuck.

Jan, is really we should do nothing with the speaker cone ?
And is it okay if I use the leather oil / cooking oil ?

Anyway, please give your suggestion. I really appreciate it.

Tks
sun

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7958
The suggestion was already given. Do nothing. That is the best thing you can do. Leather oil or cooking oil will do nothing for your speaker cones or the rubber surrounds.

Your mini-compo is not your Monitor Audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 57
Buy a Blush Brush (Natural fibers) and use that to gently brush off any dust build up on the cones, or anywhere else on the speaker.

I would never use leather oil or cooking oil on any part of the speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Okay.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 39
They are not made of silk or other breakable material! Touch them! Wipe the down! Feel the surround and you can tell if it is about to crack or if the glue is giving way.

You can always have the surround replaced with different material. I would not suggest that unless you know what you are doing as the designer has used the tolerances in the surround as part of the design of the spealers.

I have usead a variety of products to clean the cones, cloth any type is fine. I like cotton. You can use just water, wet the cloth, wipe, and then a dry cloth, wipe. If you find you have access dust build up us an anti-static cleaner, any wipe of with a dry cloth after. Two things to be careful with. One the dust cap, this will can be inverted or dent if you push on it. This can be remidied. The surround and also dent, but highly unlikey. Try that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Thanks for yr information, Mortal 1.

sun

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2607
repeat, follow earlier advice.
Nothing.
Play loud to remove dust.
Wet hair.Lather.Rinse.Repeat.