Accoustat Model One speakers

Username: Scotty31

ME United States

Post Number: 1
My sub-woofer foam surround has disintergrated on my 1986 Accoustat Model One system. I purchased a repair kit and installed as new foam surround. The resulting sound was terrible: thin, oscilating, distorted. Placing a finger on the paper cone and pressing lightly improved the sound somewhat. What to do now? Thanks for helping.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1040
try going here for help... I am familiar with ML and magnepan tweaks, but not all that great on acoustat.

www.audioasylum.com

click on the planar speaker link.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8376

It sounds (no pun) as if you didn't do a very accurate job of aligning the voice coil when you installed the foam repair kit. The larger the driver, the more difficult this becomes and small errors here can make large differences in the sound quality as the voice coil is no longer driven in a linear motion. You can remove the replacement foam and try again or you can replace the entire driver or you can buy some new speakers.

Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 10
Agrees with Jan that it sounds like a misaligned voice coil. When I replaced the foam surrounds on an older set of speakers I carefully removed the voice coil dust cap and placed shims that I had made out of old business cards to keep the coil centered. Once the foam was in place, glued and allowed to set up I could then remove the shims and replace the dust cap. But if you do this be very careful in removing the dust cap to avoid any cone/coil damage.

ME United States

Post Number: 2
Thank you gentlemen for the insightful analysis. I removed the dust cover and found the voice coil off-center. I'm starting over and hopefully doing it right this time.

ME United States

Post Number: 3
It worked! Acoustats as good as new. I wish I would have done it right the first time. Thanks again for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us