Haydn and marantz

Username: Ost

Post Number: 2
Is there any chance this marantz 4320 8ohm would work fine with haydn grand 4ohm (89 db sent.)?
Please help me out here! I do have this recivier and i do love these speakers!.
I have athena f 2.2 but for jazz and classical music they are not a good choice,

Post Number: 3
And if this is not good , what kind of similar speakers rated of 8 ohm i should be looking at?
Thanks guys!
I am realy new here....

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8375

Then I would suggest you get to a competent dealer who can assist you with your entire system. For it is a system you are buying and it should not be done one piece at a time.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3918
george,

for jazz and classical music you want speakers that feature nice full mids, which is where the Athenas probably fall short since they tend to emphasize the treble a bit.

The Marantz 4320 is a nice stereo receiver with very pleasing warmth and dynamics, but is hardly a powerhouse as far as high current oomph goes, so I personally would not use them with 4 ohm speakers.

My recommendation for full, clear mids with your musical tastes would be the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SEs or the CMT-340SEs (ascendacoustics.com). The main disadvantage is that you can only buy them online, but return shipping is pretty cheap, $20-40 depending on which model, and you get 30 days to decide. There is also an Ascend forum on their website where you can ask around for a local Ascend owner who'll let you come listen.

Google them for all the uniformly positive reviews, they are an amazing value.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1039
I am going to eschew my usual posts here that tout the speakers that I myself own, or those that I am most familiar with and say this:

I listen to jazz music quite frequently, so you will want a speaker that is velvet smooth in the midrange, as well as that does not emphasize the treble region. You also need bass that is TIGHT! I myself will forgo ultimate bass depth to get the tightness that I desire.

Keep in mind that if your speakers are being properly driven with enough current, if they are rated down to 40Hz, and can actually hit 40Hz, they will not (should not) sound bass shy and / or thin. There are some exceptions to this rule. We have to love +/- 3Db.

hope this helps.

Post Number: 4
i want to thank Everybody who took time posting here. I'll check out Ascend Acoustics for sure. '
Heard a lot of Them!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1043
I can also find a negative review that says they sound closed in and boxy, and dead, as well as way too laid back.

to each his own on the ascends.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1044
$hit... the website that had that review...

www.cheaphometheater.com

is no longer in existance.

Post Number: 5
Well, besides Ascend Acoustics i was looking at B&W DM602 S3 as well as paradigm studio 20 v3.
Hard to choose :-)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1053
Paradigm studios will wipe the floor with those ascends, and then some. I would also take them over the 602's as well. Tighter bass IMHO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3923
Lots of dispute over the vaunted Paradigm Studio line, with the conventional wisdom here at eCoustics that those who gave them thumbs down in comparison with the Ascends (which cost about 1/3 as much) simply did not hear the Studios with the kind of super-duper amps which they require in order to truly blossom.

Whatever...stranger tales have emerged from audio-land. Since I haven't heard the Studio series myself I'll forgo comment, other than encourage you to take a pair of Ascends into your Paradigm dealer and AB them. From what I've read on other forums it's been about a 50/50 coin toss, so there's a fair chance you could decide the 3x price difference is simply not worth it.

I'd probably take either speaker over the 602s though.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1058
eddie, the ascends have MUCH MUCH tighter bass than the 602.

keep in mind that I also compared the 170's to my maggies, which was NOT AT ALL a fair comparison. To me, the studio 20's more than hold their own at attaining a boxless sound, which the 170's never achieve. However, this is my opinion.

Now, if only I could convince you to trade those nasty ascends in for those awesome Bose 161's... now THOSE are some serious speakers. The bass goes so low I couldn't even hear it :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3924
heh, I was referring to the Ascend classics, the SEs are supposed to offer a good bit more bass extension.

The 170 might have "tighter" bass than the 602 but the 602 simply has MORE bass---which, in a sub-less setup, might still be preferable to most users who are listening to pop/rock/urban music.

The "boxiness" that you describe might be somewhat true of the 170s especially compared to Maggies (like comparing a Camry to a Corvette for 0-60 performance) but certainly not of the 340s which have a different and wide-dispersion tweeter as well as the extra mid-woof.

The bad review that you referred to, was that by "Somedood" who used to post here? I remember him being a high school kid who listens to a lot of heavy metal, in which case I perfectly understand his lack of enthusiasm for the Ascends.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1064
do a search on the actual ecoustics website, and it will show you the speakers that they were compared against.

this is the order of the ranking if I remember correctly:

Onix rocket 150
Aperion 522
HTD level 3
Ascend 170

I think that was how it went... I know the onix were the top, and that he wasn't that impressed with the HTD and ascend, stating that with the HTD, they did nothing wrong, but did nothing great.

Last I knew, isn't that what makes a good speaker? It doesn't do anything wrong, and doesn't have anything about it that says "my tweeter is better than my mid / woofer."

Gold Member

Post Number: 3926
Interesting, I didn't even know ecoustics.com had its own reviewer...or are these just forum posters, like Jan's reviews of the Alegria speakers?

Very surprising results. I know nothing about the HTDs, but I've read at least half a dozen ABx comparisons done by users of various forums (AVS, hometheaterforum.com, av123 forum) with the other brands and Aperions have consistently ranked at the bottom along with Axioms in the middle and Ascends at the top, closely followed by the Onix Ref series. From reading those reviews the Onix speakers (excluding the new XL-S) have generally been praised for their aesthetics and not too much on their SQ...opposite of the Ascends of course.

Paradigm Monitors usually get roundly trounced in these informal comparisons, though as I said previously the Studio series wins out about half the time. Kind of a low percentage considering their pricepoint, but maybe that's the "inadequate amplification" theory at work.

Oh well, it's all meaningless anecdotal and anonymous cyber-reviews in any case. The bottom line is hearing the stuff in your own system with your own gear, which is a lot easier to do with Internet-direct speakers (except for massive floorstanders, must be murder to ship those back) unless you are as blessed as Art to live in an audio-rich part of the country with nice dealers who'll let you do in-home auditions.

The other bottom line is, how striking are the differences to each person's ears, relative to different pricepoints?

I remember hearing the Focal Profile floorstanders at Tweeter and thinking, "is that it, for $4000?" LOL I'd gladly take my humble Ascends over them and pocket the change any day of the week.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1068
yeah... but we'd both be glad to spend that money on a pair of MartinLogans

:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Guys, i spent all day doing research on Rockets 250 and agreed to get them. There is 30 day money back , so risk will only cost me like 30 bucks or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3927
> yeah... but we'd both be glad to spend that money on a pair of MartinLogans

True indeed!

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 50
I do not see the ascends on this list, perhaps they sold out ? lol

http://www.HIGHERFI.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 3930
LOL are you really that retarded, Vader?

Ascend is not on that list for the same reason that Onix, Axiom, SVS, Swan, and any other number of speaker companies both Internet-direct and retail are not listed---because they have never pretended to be "high-end" gear.

About on par with your usual dyslexic stupidty, I suppose... Lordy, what a shmuck! ROTFL

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 51
who is the retard? lol ! I was mocking your speakers! hahahaha OH MY GOD !

Gold Member

Post Number: 3936
nothing wrong with mockery, it's just your simple IDIOCY that's amusing...something which you so predictably and consistently exhibit (yawn).

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 52
on a serious note, if you have time and are willing to drive a couple of hundred miles, you should visit these guys I mean they are very profesional and honest. You will be amazed with the gear they have in their listening rooms and after you are done drooling you can take your wife shopping to San Marcos which it is situaded between San Anton and Austin just be ready to drop some serious money on women clothing man do they love this place! lol
http://www.neplusultrainc.com/Site/Contact%20Us.html
http://www.gcaudio.com/about/auditionSpaces.html

see ya !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us