Adding a tweeter

Username: Grifter

Nova Scotia England / Ca...

Post Number: 1
Hello, please forgive if this thread already exists; I couldn't find one similar anywhere.

I am very capable with most electronics, engines, etc. but know constructing and modifying speakers properly is much more complicated than it appears to be, especially regarding crossovers and the math involved. I am currently powering Polk Rti-12 and Rti-10 speakers with biamped H/K AVR-240s. Everything sounds beautiful, but not quite as enveloping as my brother's bipolar mirages. I have been toying with the idea of adding another dome tweeter to the back of my mains.....With something as small as a tweeter, is there less impact on the crossover performance, or could it be just as disastrous as adding another mid or woofer would be? With biamping, do I have to worry about the crossover in the same way? Thanks in advance.
-Mike.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2322
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=670837#POST670837

For a quick trial in the rear of your cabinet, Mike.
Or externally wired and sitting on top, or move them around to experiment.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 896
There's all sorts of nifty math based calculators out there for designing crossovers. Unfortunately, none of them really work beyond giving you a (very) rough idea of where to begin. None of them allow for driver and or cabinet interference, for example. Live measurements are the only sure way of getting it close to correct.
Beyond that, Nuck's idea of adding a top mount piezo tweeter or super tweeter is a viable alternative.
I'm uncertain as to whether you can hope to reproduce the sound of the M7 or whichever Mirage it is, however, it doesn't cost you much to experiment and will probably be very interesting to do so.
Bipole speakers have a unique and seductive sound, as do these.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Aria.htm
(shameless self-promotion)

Username: Grifter

England / Ca...

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to look for some good books on the subject, and get some parts from radio shack; I have a set of aging sony speakers I won't mind messing with to get some hands-on experience. My uncle works for Yamaha and has a sprawling recording studio in his basement....maybe he has some equipment that will help with measurements. In any case, I think you're right, Timn8ter-it should be interesting. And shameless self-promotion is the best kind, by the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us