Pro-ject Xpression mk 2 vs Music Hall mmf-5

Username: Alpharay69

Alameda, CA United States

Post Number: 5
Hi,
anybody have experience with those 2 TT ? Their price are around my budget; so I want to know which one has a better value and last longer.

by the way, anybody know the different between 1 Xpression and Xpression Mk2 ?

thanks
ray

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1229
I own the 1Xpression, so I may be a little biased.

The 1Xpression has fixed interconnects and regular feet. The Xpression 2 has removable interconnects and pointed feet. Those are the only differences.

I'm not a fan of Music Hall in general, and don't like the mmf tables. I've heard the mmf5 on a couple of occasions on a few different set ups. Music Hall's reliability issues aside, it's a decent table. Some may prefer the sound of it to the 1Xpression. I think this is only because it comes with a far better stock cartridge than the Xpression. It uses a $125 or so Goldring cart, whereas the Xpression uses a $50 Sumiko Oyster that most people hate.

The mmf5 uses a Pro-Ject tonearm. Unless they've updated the table recently, it's not the carbon fiber one that the Xpression uses. It may be the same arm used on the Debut III, but I'm not too sure. Regardles if it is or isn't, the carbon fiber arm on the Xpression is so much better than the one on the mmf5. It's not even close.

The Xpression is a rock solid no frills type deck. On paper, it shouldn't compete with the mmf5. The mmf5 is dual plinth, has a glass platter, etc. In reality, the Xpression is better in just about every way. The only thing I think the mmf5 has on the Xpression is the stock cartridge. Put the Goldring cart on both tables, and it most likely won't be close. The arm on the Xpression is so much better and can handle so much better cartridges than the mmf5's tonearm.

I've read that both tables are built in the same factory. Pro-Ject has had very few problems (I haven't heard any to be honest), while I've heard a lot of complaints about the mmf line. To me that means design flaws.

Just my opinions. Like I said I'm biased, so take it as you will.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1230
Just to add -

At this price range, the only decks I'd consider are the Xpression and the Rega P2 or P3. The Rega line is more money, and I don't think they sound much better than the Xpression. They do however have a lot more upgrade possibilities and options than the Xpression does.

Username: Alpharay69

Alameda, CA United States

Post Number: 6
I do want a Rega; but then again I am not willing to spend that much for a turntable.

I was very surprised to find out the local Magnolia HiFi store carry Pro-ject. They have both Debut and Xpression in the store. Although it is not truely one to one comparsion (not the same speaker setup); but the Xpression is just too good. I was listening to Miles Davis like it was live music. I love it so mucht that I had to have it. Of course, it is on sale too :-)

Now, I am just waiting for the TT to deliver. Thank so much for all the suggestion.
ray

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1239
Glad to hear you liked the Xpression. It's a great deck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us