Tube or solid state amps?

Username: Artemis

London

Post Number: 2
I'm still learning, so please bear with me if I ask stupid questions!

I've been told that I should go for tube/valve amps since I am interested in getting a "warmer" sound from my system. However, if I am buying used, how can I tell if an amp is tube or solid-state?

How can I tell if my existing pre-amp and amp are tube/solid-state? I don't have the manuals for either, and the specs online are very sparse.

I have the Rotel RC-980BX pre-amp, and I am thinking of using a different tube phono-stage (someone recommended getting a Bellari) to improve the rather mediocre sound from my turntable... well apart from upgrading the TT itself, or at the very least, the cartridge. ;)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8324

You can tell if a piece of equipment has any tubes in its circuitry by looking at the unit. Normally tubes on a power amp will be exposed for better air circulation. The tubes might be exposed or inside a pre amp or CD player. But seeing ventilation holes on a pre amp will normally tell you there are tubes inside. If you are looking at the specs for a piece of equipment, the tube compliment will be listed.

http://stereophile.com/tubepreamps/204cary/

This pre amp uses a tube complement consisting of, two each, 6SN7GT, 12AX7, 12AU7.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us