What do think about the Yamaha RX Z9 flagship receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 504
I'm thinking about buying this huge powerhouse, but was wondering if it is a good receiver and what it's plus's and negative's are? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7607
For that price, I suggest you look at the Outlaw Audio 990 pre/pro and the Outlaw Audio Model 770.

What speakers will you be using?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3151
The Z9 is an outstanding AVR but still an AVR. Check into separates before buying an AVR.

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
At the moment i'm just using some cheap KLH speakers, but will be upgrading to the JBL Northridge series..................how does the Yamaha sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
also waht's good about the Outlaw Audio 990 pre/pro and the Outlaw Audio Model 770. what do they have to offer that the Yamaha doesn't?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7620
Are you asking about the Yamaha speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
no.....no......how does the RX Z9 sound? does it put out hissing sounds through the speakers, or anything like that, u know, how does it sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7629
I have not heard any issues on any of these models as far as hissing sounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 65
If it were me I and was going to spend that kind of money, I would go the separates route and get something like a ROTEL or the OUTLAW set-up or NAD separates and then I would definitely not be going anywhere near the JBL's for speakers. There are so many other speakers that will run circles around them dollar for dollar... For example, Monitor Audio Silver Series RS 2's or Paradigm Monitor 3's - I can go on and on...bottom line is this: when I made my foray back into the audio world, I too was captured by what the big box stores such as Circuit City and Best Buy had on display and was pretty much going to go the Yamaha route with Bose speakers. Bose is not very well respected among "audiophiles" I started hanging out here and reading the experiences of the regular that frequent the site. I researched, researched and then researched some more and visited every audio shop in town. Within 2 weeks I completly changed my mind and am now looking at NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Rotel - There's some great sounding gear out there for a lot less than what you're going to shell out for the RX-Z9...
Shop around and get educated on what's out there -its fun! Grab all of the brochures and audio/home theatre magazines you can get your hands on and get educated :-)
Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I forgot to mention: let your ears be your guide...can't forget that. What was I thinking?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
thank you all, your advice has been helpful, i'll just have to shop around and "educate" myself........but i do have one more question, is there a store that has JBL northridge series speakers.......i realize what you said about them, but I love JBL.....but i havent seen their northridge speakers in any stores.....so is there a way to hear them......or can you only buy them online?

ok i have another question.........does going seperates actually make a difference in sound.....and isn't NAD really expensive? like beyond the yamaha price? i mean i dont have to have the yamaha, i just want it because of the truck load of inputs and outputs, the 170 watts per channel and the 9.2 surround sound plus the THX Ultra 2 and the dozens of other settings.....
so you think that i should go with something else?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3899
Surely you jest...a $3500-4000 receiver with JBL Northridge speakers???

If you absolutely must go with JBL, look at their Studio line and buy a less expensive receiver instead.

btw a NAD T973/T163 combo is about the same price as that Yammie:

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=YO&Category_C ode=NADAMP

Though to be honest if you're buying this mainly for HT use there are any number of receivers well under $1K that would do the job just as well.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 853
"04":

I have to agree with Edster here. The Northridge line is a budget speaker line that would never be worthy of a Yamaha Z9. JBL is one of those companies that trades on their top end models reputation to put out marginal speakers at the low end that would really disappoint you.

Now, as to separates, you will notice an improvement in the sound. Anytime you put everything into one box, with a single power supply (i.e., an AVR), you run the risk of some hiss or hum as there is the conflict between the demands of the pre/pro section and the power amp section. Additionally, there is that little card with the AM/FM tuner on it and that can pick up spurious signals that bleeds through to the rest of the signal chain. If you go the separates route, you have each section isolated within its own box and with its own power supply. Additionally, to justify a consumer choosing separates, manufacturers put in better circuitry all the way around. IMO, if the cost of the receiver is north of $2K, you are better off with separates. Since you ask about NAD, you can get their pre/pro, the T973 and the Power amp T163 for about $2700 which is less than the street price for the Z9. Or you could go with Outlaw separates for as little as $1299 (970 pre/pro and the 7075 amp). If your primary concern is hiss, etc., separates are the way to go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
check this deal out. Per Hawks message above this is an awesome price and dont let the "refurbished" thing deter you.
http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/potentpair.asp
Hawk is also a believer in going the refurbed route if I can speak for him here. On the spearitsound web site they do a good job of explaining why refurbed units can actually be better than new. Click on the "refurbished" icon at the bottom of the page and it will explain. With the budget you have you are in for one helluva good system and can save a lot of money to boot. Maybe get a disco ball or something :-) hehehehe

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2308
I am still not sold on 'refurbs', particularly if so many are out there.
Or perhaps if not so many are out there.
If they came back, or did not sell, there must be a reason.

However, best of luck and good listening for those who do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
What does refurbished mean?

There are lots of reasons that can label something "factory refurbished." Since consumer laws prevent manufacturers from selling anything returned to them as "new", there are often great savings to be had.
Here are a few examples of how something might become refurbished:
Since many stores have return policies, perfectly good items are returned that have absolutely nothing wrong with them. These items are returned to the manufacturer,inspected, tested and repackaged like new.

Items where the box was damaged in shipment. These are returned to the manufacturer for repackaging.

The item was returned to the manufacturer because of a defect. Trained, factory personnel corrected the defect and the item is repacked like new.

The item was returned because of a cosmetic blemish on the casing. Major cosmetic issues are corrected although minor ones may remain.

Factory demonstration units are also considered factory refurbished. This might mean a sample shown at a show or a sample loaned for review. The units are inspected, tested and repackaged.

The box was simply opened. That's it!

Brand new overstocked items are also labeled factory refurbished.
It is impossible to know the history of each item, but for whatever reason the unit gets labeled factory refurbished, it is inspected, and if needed, serviced by the manufacturer to ensure it meets all the product specifications. Most refurbished equipment is backed with a manufacturer's warranty assuring your satisfaction.

The advantages of buying refurbished:

Refurbished components can save you money! You're buying the same equipment, complete with its accessories and with a manufacturer's warranty.

Refurbished items can actually have a lower defect rate. Refurbished components are individually tested and inspected by factory personnel to make sure they meet all specifications. It's like getting 100% quality control.

Bottom line: With quality manufacturers, buying refurbished is a great way to save some money and still have the manufacturer's support and a warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
what do you think about Ebay............i mean $2700 is a bit more than i can afford/willing to spend......and for about $1900-$2100 "new" i saw the Yamaha........so what do you think about that? or would you suggest personally seeing the item?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7656
Wait a minute...where did you find the RX-Z9 for $2100???
I can't find that thing for less than $2900.

If this is true, I'm buying at least 5 units.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
ebay's good..especially if you have people with a great rating 99% and above..they don't want to jeopardize their rating by selling bad equip. or not represent the item in all honesty. I have been very lucky with ebay, although I have not bought any electronics from there as of yet...any day now :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2315
I wonder how the z9 rates in all channels driven testing?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 963
Refurbished can be misleading in some circumstances. Manufacturers frequently get rid of excess inventory on models they are closing out by putting a refurbished tag on it and dumping it on on-line sites. This way they can keep their brick and mortar dealers at least marginally happy.

It's all about keeping the relationships.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Berny, i saw them on ebay for around that price........that's why i want one...if it was $2900, i'd look for something else
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us