Triode integrateds - Cayin, Manley Stingray, ASL

Silver Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 172
Hi,

Currently have two systems: main is powered with AES Six Pacs (PrimaLuna 3 preamp) and the 2nd system is currently powered with a Melody SP3.

The Melody is a wonderful amp, but the triode sound of the Pacs has grown on me so much that I want to replace it with a triode integrated - either triode-only or something with a triode/UL switch.

Front-runners are the Cayin 88, Cayin 50, and Stingray. I've read all the Stingray reviews but would appreciate first-hand comments as well. Reviews seem to be very scarce at this point on the Cayin products.

I plan to pick something out then wait for a deal on Audiogon.

Appreciate comments from anyone, on these or other choices.

Paul

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
I can't believe nobody has opinions to offer on a topic like this. Holy sh*t. What are you guys listening to?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1222
Compared to what you're listening to?
Garbage.

You don't have to rub it in our faces, you know?

Just kidding. I don't have any experience with any. I've good things about them though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
you're joking.

The onix amp is $700. Or was, when I bought it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Ah, I totally missed the 'just kidding' at the bottom!

I got a killer deal on a Cayin 88 demo and bought it. I hope I like it. I prefer 12xxx linestage tubes to the 6 sound, from previous experience, but reviews of this amp have been very good (not just "good", which is meaningless), and described qualities I long for. We will see.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2297
All of my gear just shrivel and cower to the place they go when cold and embarrased.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Damnit nuck quit making me feel guilty.

Hey, you know happiness doesn't have anything to do with audio gear. That's a plus!

I think if you started a sympathy buy-me-audio-stuff website, you'd get plenty of contributors.

Personally, I just set a budget limit then set out to find the best within that range. The price/performance graph is far from linear, anyway...

I know there are components out there that cost 10x what I spend, and they generally *do* sound better. Do I care? Nah... I can enjoy music through even my 2nd, <$3,000 system (retail prices, not what I paid) very, very well. In fact, the 2nd system, at 1/3rd the price of the main one, is probably 75% as good sounding.

Now that I've settled pretty much exclusively on used, or at least demo, gear, the $s really go much farther. My main system is entirely used except for the PrimaLuna preamp.

Well, I've rambled on, haven't I? Sorry.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3157
The problem Paul is that you continue to set a new budget everytime you want something new....lol.....if only. Enjoy your new gear. When I move up it'll either be Manley or Mac, but it will definitely have tubes.

Username: Jeffsjca

Post Number: 1
Greetings Everyone!
I do not claim to be an expert regarding tube amps. but this much I will say. I travel to China frequently and always bring back one or two. Yeah, I know, but I can't help it. I really like what I see and what I hear over there. Cayin has beautiful integrated ones. They are certainly worth a second look. Quality has much improved in China...

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Art, I looked hard at a used Stingray as well. I've heard that amp and the Snappers, several times, but never in my sytem.

If there had been a used Stingray with the triode/UL switch on Audiogon I'd have bought it. Actually, there was, but I vacillated and it sold.

Honestly, Art, I haven't spent much more money, then when I first redid most of my main system back in December, after 8 years... which was when I discovered tubes. I've bought and sold several speakers and amps and have come out close to even.

Ok, I DID buy the Shanling SACD player. That was new ground. That was used too, pretty good deal.

It has to end soon. In case you guys are wondering, no, I'm not married. Will quite likely be engaged soon tho.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3158
"Will quite likely be engaged soon tho."

So you are making sure to buy durable gear for the long haul I take it....

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Not too far off.

Now, of course, she claims to like the hobby, and all my music too. :-}

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 94
Paul,
Have you had a chance to listen to the Cayin yet? I was thinking of getting one too, but no place to audition one around here. Do you think it could handle Dali Ikon 6 speakers? (91.5db sensitive, 6 ohm/4.2 ohm minimum) Thanks,
Bill

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Bill,

I have the Cayin and it rocks my much less effecient Gallo Ref 3s. About to post a new thread with 1st impressions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us