B & W DM 601 S3- Sharp Sound

Bronze Member
Username: Jamshed

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 17
I am currently using the B & W DM 601 S3 bookshelf speakers powered by a Harman/ Kardon HK 670 amp.
My speakers are placed on hollow tubular wrought iron stands, with a teak wood base an inch thick for the speakers. The stands are firm on the ground and are supported on rubber plugs at the base. They are atleast a foot away from the the walls and the corners of the rooms.
I have used this set up for three years now and up till now was very happy with the sound, which was deep and melodious yet lively. However for the past few months I am feeling that the sound is too sharp and harsh( a complaint i never had before). The sound is just not as mellow as it was previously.
I really don't know what this is due to...
I am currnetly using thick ordinary copper cable to connect the speakers. Would using "good" speaker cable such as Kimer Kable help any? I have however read that using good speaker cable would provide in better high freqency resolution- something which I, in the present situation do not want.
I am in a real fix as I have stopped enjoying the sound as I used to before. I hate listening to music when I have to wince everytime a high note is hit!! And no way can i afford to upgrade right now(am still a student).
Are there any tricks which i could use to improve the sound?
My speakers are in the living room, already furnished with thick long drapes and upholstery. Could filling my stands with some material (please advise as to what) help?
I really cannot understand what has happened...
Thanks a ton for any and all advice!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8289

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/215360.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us