my problem is i did not like the B&W sub offerings i heard
i have to drive quite far to hear a rel sub mated with the cm1's
and i won't have time to do that for a few weeks

i am not really a newbie but i have never had a sub hooked up
to my system nor have i ever had an av receiver

my system consists of an amp and a preamp

from what i read i think i need a sub with high pass and low
pass connections to provide the lowest frequencies and to relieve
my minimonitors from low bass and midbass duty?? am i right ??

how would i hook this type of sub up tp my preamp as i only
have one set of unbalanced connections
although i do have a tape monitor connection if that helps
but no subwoofer out or bass managemant capabilities or even
tone controls on my preamp
i only have one set of left and right outputs on my amp also

can this be done effectively?????

thanks for any help or suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3073
Upscale audio carries REL and Era subs. Two of the best brands of sealed subs. I am using my Era sub with my Paradigm Studio 20's. I was always told that the line level connection was the best but it is not how you hook up a REL. My integrated amp is the Prima Luna Prologue Two and it has no pre outs so the only way to hook up the sub is at the speaker level....I get seamless integration. The idea is not relieve the monitors of the low bass duties but to augment by providing bass lower than they produce seamlessly. When that is done successfully you essentially have a full range speaker system. So the idea is to set the sub to take over the bass duties where the monitors begin their audible decline.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 395
I too would like to roll off the bass of my mains (at the set subwoofer crossover point) and let the sub do bass duty. My receiver does not have a sub-out or bass management so I'll have to go from the receiver's speaker outs to the high level sub inputs. You would think that a sub's crossover would work this way but it doesn't. You set the crossover control for the highest frequency that you want the sub to produce and the mains are allowed to run flat out. What we need is a separate hi-pass filter from HSU. Check it out. HSU is very responsive to questions so don't hesitate to ask.
http://www.hsustore.com/high-pass.html

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 987
usually Dr. Hsu himself answers the questions, or at least that was the case last year when I was sending out emails.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
For the HSU Hi-Pass Filter, your receiver needs to have pre-out and main-in jacks.

They say to connect as follows...

1. Get two Y connectors, single male and two female type.

2. Plug the male ends into the L & R pre-outs on the receiver.

3. Connect one set of female L & R of the Y connectors to the L & R inputs on the high pass filter.

4. Connect the L & R ouptuts on the high pass filter to the L & R main-in on the receiver.

5. Connect the other set of female L & R from the Y connectors to the subwoofer.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3100
For music you do not want to take the load off of the speakers you want to simply augment the bass to get a full range sound. That is what a good, fast sealed sub can do that a Hsu cannot. So you go from the amps speaker jacks to the subs speaker level in but not back out as you only want the sub to produce the bass that your monitors can't. If you don't know that the sub is in the room but your speakers appear to be producing a lovely full range sound then you have accomplished the goal of successfully integrating the sub in your system. My Era has never sounded so good, It certainly didn't (and it sounded great) when I was using the line level (which blew me away). Honestly th call upscale and ask how to best integrate a good sealed sub like an Era.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 459
Hello Art. I hope you are well. A year ago I would have agreed with your comment regarding what a fast sealed sub can do that an HSU cannot. In fact I have two very good fast sealed subs myself.

Then I heard the HSU VTF-3 HO with the turbo thing. I challenged Dr HSU at CES to play something musical to allow me to assess the ability of the sub to accurately reproduce higher frequency bass notes from music as opposed to showing that it can produce sustained 16 HZ frequencies ( which he was doing). He picked the animusic DVD, and of all things, essentially a fancy drum solo where you can see the bass drum being hit while you hear it. Anyway, that damn ported turbo sub really reproduced the higher bass frequencies very very well. I was stunned. It was later explained to me that becuase of te frequency of how the sub was tuned, notes in the 25 to 35 HZ range are very well reproduced with no boominess, overhand, and problematic decay times.

I dont own one but it does suprisingly well, compared to many other offereings, including other HSUs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
Still, it seems to me that if you took the lowest bass (Below 80Hz) out of the mains (two-way, monitor style, Energy C3), the detail and clarity of their sound would improve.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3107
Hi Marc,

I obviously believe what you are saying but I'll still take a good sealed system over a ported one. It's my guess that among other things they are less finicky about room placement. Dr Hsu does a good job of offering value for the dollar. I'll still take an Era or REL anyday.

Perhaps your right Rick but that has not been my experience or the experience of the good folks at Era, REL, Bradford's, Upscale, or Northwest Audio Labs.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1525
Still, it seems to me that if you took the lowest bass (Below 80Hz) out of the mains (two-way, monitor style, Energy C3), the detail and clarity of their sound would improve.

It's certainly common belief on some other forums... Still, I like to run my mains full-range in order to minimise the processing of the sound they get. Fewer filters and/or D/A conversions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us