UGH!! My Brand New Totem Sttaf, has ISSUES

Bronze Member
Username: Restlesstimes

Washington , DC United States

Post Number: 22
One of my speakers has this distortion/vibration at a certain frequency. I first heard it when playing female vocals, and once again on certain higher pitched instrumental tones/notes.

I switched the speakers from side to side and the issue followed the speaker.

Dealer says bring the offending speaker in on Wednesday with the discs I was playing.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3066
Yikes!!! Hope it works out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
yeah me too. I am not sure how I feel about having to take a new speaker in to be serviced. They say they are an authorized Totem Service Center. Maybe I am crazy but part of me just wants a new pair of speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7488
Good luck TK!
Hope it works out.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3072
You're not crazy TK, I'd feel the same.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1306
If you want the speakers to be replaced, just say so and they should do it for you. I must say that's a first - a Totem not working correctly out of the box. I've never heard of that before.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3079
I'm sure it is rare and think that I would ask for a replacement not a repair.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1172
You've spent too much money to get what is essentially a repaired speaker.

Unless it's something minor and insignificant like a wire came loose inside, I wouldn't leave without a new speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I called today and I am taking them in tomorrow. He sounds like he wants to repair it. I told him I am uncomfortable with having him replace a driver or crossover in one speaker that is acoustically matched to it's brother/sister.

He has a pair of Maple in stock, or can order me another pair from Totem that will take a week.

HMMM a week without music....... or more money for the Maple.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3083
Maple is lovely....or wait the week, it's worth it for a new pair.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
right now I plan on waiting the week to get a new pair, but thinking about a week without them right after getting them, might make me splurge for the Maple.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3090
I recently had to do without my system for 2 wks while my new kitchen cabinets (natural maple I might add) and flooring were being intsalled. It was difficult but I survived....but those maple cabinets sure look nice....

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1310
TK,

Only go for the maple if it would suit your room. It's a very light colour indeed and difficult to match should you change your decor.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
LOL, I like the subtlety..... I am leaning towards the Maple, even though I would prefer to spend the difference in price on a pair of claws.....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1187
A week seems like a long time now, but afterward you might be kicking yourself in the butt for not waiting. If you like the maple and don't mind paying the extra for it, then by all means get it. But if you're contemplating getting them only because you can't wait a week, you may be sorry in the long run.

I had to wait 2 weeks for my turntable when I upgraded. It was torture. In the end tt was definately worth it. Personally, I'd wait a week and spend the difference on the claws as you've mentioned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Well I am sitting here listening to a new set in Maple. I just didn't want to wait the week. IF all finishes would have been the same price I would have gotten the maple anyway. I managed to get the maple for only $140 more when the MSRP was $200 more.

I paid $1480 instead of $1595 for the Mahogany and $1620 for the Maple instead of $1795.

I will order a pair of Claws in a few weeks, I need to give my wallet a rest for a minute or two

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3093
Congrats! Much good listening to you.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1316
Ah, the impetuousness of youth! :-) Enjoy!

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1200
Frank -
He's 2 years younger than you.

TK - Sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I want what I want when I want it. DAMN IT (ok that was the kid in me).... It has taken me 38 years to put together a system I really love and could afford. Hell, I wanted a Rega Planet the first time I saw it, and that's the original Planet. now that I have this system, I wasn't gonna wait another week.

NOW I want some claws. Totem says you have to drill to install them. Dare I drill into my babies?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1206
That's messed up. I'm pretty handy and I'd feel uncomfortable doing that to my speakers. If you mess it up once, I don't know how you'd fix it.

I know how you hate to wait, but could your dealer do this? They were going to fix the old speakers if I remember correctly.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3099
I wouldn't drill'em. I'd find some other way to get the desired effect.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1320
Hey TK, I was just yankin' your chain! :-) Just let that free child of yours take over.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2226
Drill em!
Its wood and screws, not rocket science!
You did not buy them for their resale value, if the claw is the look you desire go ahead!
Not the craw, the CRAW!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I called Totem and the Tech said it is a very easy process. He said not to worry, the bottom of the cabinet is only the portion of the tower used for mass loading. He says the claws come with the appropiate drill bit. I am thinking that I might take them to my dealer and have them do it, if they will.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2237
TK, ya want I should send my wife?
She is very good with tools and wood work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us