Use one larger sub or two smaller ones?

Username: Electricdave

Post Number: 1
Just wanted to know what you guys think about using 2 REL QE 150 subs vs. 1 Bowers & Wilkins sub (probably an ASW 675 or 700) to go with a system I am putting together, as cash permits. The B & W subs are 500 watts. My front speakers are B & W 703's, with an HTM7 center. I have older Onkyo components which I will evenually exchange for Rotels' 1068 processor and 1075 amp. I would like to keep the cost to stay around $1500 for the sub. If neither of these ideas are good, I would appreciate that info as well. They are to be in a room that is 13'x25'. It will be used 70% TV & movies; 30% music(all genres) Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 65
i have the b&w asw675 that i picked up used from my dealer for $380 out the door. i think that its sealed enclosure makes it great for music and 500 watt amp puts out more than enough lfe for ht. this small sub really integrated well into my system and i absolutely love it. looking for a "steal" of a deal to get another 675 to run on the other side of my room (24 x 14 x 8). for the price i paid, i definitely am happy w/ my purchase. i also have all b&w for 7.1 so i like the fact everything is made by the same company. the catch is this, the retail new for this sub i believe to be $900-$1000. at this price range i wouldn't recommend the sub because i feel that there are some companies such as rel(as u mentioned), velodyne, hsu research that make a better bang for your buck option. what i mean to say is that imo b&w subs are overpriced. i cannot comment on the rel qe 150 sub as i have never heard that particular model.

all this being said, your 70% tv/movies and $1500 for a sub, i would not go with a 10" sub given your room size. i would go for a rel or velodyne 12" sub.

Username: Electricdave

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding. I was starting to wonder if anyone would. I got a decent deal on a REL R205 so I bought it (not nearly the steal you got on your 675, though). It is a nice sub, but probably a little small for my room. It will take me a little while to find the best location for it, as I have no corners available up front to take advantage of. I have it near one of my front speakers. I may buy a second one to fill any voids in my room,due to the room length. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 66
if u dont' have the right "room" for the single sub, the ecoustics gosu's will help u, but i can definitely advise the second sub will help u infinitely especially because of the subs location alone. i could say, put the sub at a 23 degree angle coagulant to the peter valve...
but ur best bet is buying a 2nd :-) good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us