Outlaw Foolery

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 32

Hawk, thank you very much for the insight..I will probably go the 743 route, just for the scalability. I gotta tell you: I went to the shop here that carries NAD and asked my saleman what he thinks about Outlaw and he just rolled his eyes and shook his head and said,"dont even get me started" It was as if I was asking him his opinion about BOSE! I wish that I would have engaged him about why he was so against Outlaw..after I left, I quickly assumed it was just a case of "bad apples" as the internet, "skip the middleman" sales model hurts his potential commissions. But considering I happen to know him through a friend of a friend, I was not so sure that is the reason he's not an Outlaw proponent. He did happen to say to not bring the word "Outlaw" up with his counterpart there at the store and it would conger up even more negative talk. This makes me wonder: why these sentiments? Is there something about the Outlaw product that these guys know about that I dont? anyway, it is probably the my initial belief.. They do love there NAD stuff though... Pretty much have said everything you have said Hawk and NAD. Said that it is by far the best sounding bang for the buck stuff out there....
Another thing...they recommended not going with NAD for CD or DVD players, but instead recommended the Pioneer Elite $350.00 universal player...they said that is was the real deal and sounded incredible...
Your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3825
"friend of a friend" doesn't amount to a hill of beans when somebody's bread and butter livelihood is on the line. I'd guesstimate that at least 50% of audio sales is comprised of sheer self-interested snake oil, from $250/foot cables to $1000 power conditioners.

If more people knew about the Internet-direct route, the brick and mortar stores would be even more up the creek than they are already, esp. the mom-and-pop stores.

(The only exceptions would be the extremely high end shops.)

I would have asked for a detailed explication of their thoughts on Outlaw, and asked their permission to bring in some Outlaw products to AB against their store's stock.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
I so much want to hear an Outlaw product..
Anyone live near Columbus, Ohio? I really cant shell out $899.00 right now to have them send me one to audition - I did think about the 2150, however they are on backorder indefinitely...
Anyone near here?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3054
"I did think about the 2150, however they are on backorder indefinitely..."

I wonder why? I guess perhaps it's more of that "Outlaw Foolery". Might just want to get an NAD AVR you'll probably have to take it back as defective soon anyway and you can call it an audition. I did!

Honestly the NAD 743 does not have the same amplifier and other internal components as the upper end NAD's (753 and 763) and doesn't sound any better than the Marantz SR5600. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 251
Coby... I'm sure you can find someone local to you if you look on the Outlaw forums.

As for the products themselves.. excellent, regardless of price. When you factor value into the equation they're absolute bargains. And the Outlaws stand behind their products completely. I would not hesitate to buy any of Outlaw's products, and I do not hesitate to recommend them to others.

The reaction of the store salesman seems like one from someone who's seriously threatened by superior products at a price he can't touch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Art, you know one thing I think we need to point out here and its been pointed out before by Hawk : The NAD product line most likely has less faults in regards to reliablity than lets say big box brand such as Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. The difference is the owners of these big box products in relation to the owners of NAD, ROTEL, MARANTZ, etc. Let's face it, we're a different breed! We study, spend a sh*t-load of time talking about it, thinking about it, dreaming about it than a typical big box customer does... Think about it! We live and breath this stuff -ad nauseum!

You ask the average customer shopping for a receiver at a Circuit City, Best Buy if he or she has ever heard of NAD, ROTEL, REGA, etc... They would look at you and say, "who?"
They aren't the "audio geeks/weinees" we are...They don't spend countless hours on this forum, shooting the breeze with other like-minded folks.

Therefore, when we hear about a problem with lets say, NAD receivers- we get to hear from everyone else that studied, reviewed, talked, auditioned, Auditioned, AUDITIONED their products before purchases, found this site and others and completely dove-in. And then, like clockwork, "NAD has a quality problem" This kind of talk spreads like wildfire, having a profound affect of our perception about a brand. In reality, however, the aforementioned big box brands probably have a lot more faulty units being shipped than NAD does - those folks just get it repaired and never even think about jumping on a site like this to tell the world of their misfortune. They are too busy drinking their great Kendall Jackson wine listening to prized BOSE wave music systems!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Art, you know one thing I think we need to point out here and its been pointed out before by Hawk : The NAD product line most likely has less faults in regards to reliablity than lets say big box brand such as Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. The difference is the owners of these big box products in relation to the owners of NAD, ROTEL, MARANTZ, etc. Let's face it, we're a different breed! We study, spend a sh*t-load of time talking about it, thinking about it, dreaming about it than a typical big box customer does... Think about it! We live and breath this stuff -ad nauseum!

You ask the average customer shopping for a receiver at a Circuit City, Best Buy if he or she has ever heard of NAD, ROTEL, REGA, etc... They would look at you and say, "who?"
They aren't the "audio geeks/weinees" we are...They don't spend countless hours on this forum, shooting the breeze with other like-minded folks.

Therefore, when we hear about a problem with lets say, NAD receivers- we get to hear from everyone else that studied, reviewed, talked, auditioned, Auditioned, AUDITIONED their products before purchases, found this site and others and completely dove-in. And then, like clockwork, "NAD has a quality problem" This kind of talk spreads like wildfire, having a profound affect of our perception about a brand. In reality, however, the aforementioned big box brands probably have a lot more faulty units being shipped than NAD does - those folks just get it repaired and never even think about jumping on a site like this to tell the world of their misfortune. They are too busy drinking their great Kendall Jackson wine while listening to their prized BOSE wave music systems!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
sorry for the double post!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Art,

I want to clarify something: The message post named Outlaw Foolery was not because I have issue with Outlaw, I have heard nothing but good things - It was because the utter mention of the word "Outlaw" to the salesman congured up such a negative response...as if "Outlaw" was the devil himself!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3057
"Art, you know one thing I think we need to point out here and its been pointed out before by Hawk : The NAD product line most likely has less faults in regards to reliablity than lets say big box brand such as Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. The difference is the owners of these big box products in relation to the owners of NAD, ROTEL, MARANTZ, etc. Let's face it, we're a different breed! We study, spend a sh*t-load of time talking about it, thinking about it, dreaming about it than a typical big box customer does... Think about it! We live and breath this stuff -ad nauseum!"

Not really, but you can believe that if you want. Just like Rotels early entry into the AVR field with the RSX965. The NAD's were simply flawed from the beginning. I know several people who deal the NAD gear and have some idea what I'm talking about. The NAD folks tap danced around the issues to begin with then they tried a 2.0 version, then they tried replacing boards, then they tried, and on and on it goes. Do some research on this site. You'll see that I used to defend the NAD AVR's until a preponderance of evidence overwhelmed me and left me with no other conclusion than the one I state now. Until recently I owned a couple of pieces of NAD 2 channel gear and still consider it a good buy, but as it stands today anyone who buys NAD AVR's is taking uneccesary risks and anyone who recommends them is playing loose with someone elses money, which I find unnacceptable.

Your entire last post assumes that I don't have product knowledge above and beyond what you do apparently. I did not get my info about NAD from internet rumors I got it from dealers and experience.

"This kind of talk spreads like wildfire, having a profound affect of our perception about a brand. In reality, however, the aforementioned big box brands probably have a lot more faulty units being shipped than NAD does"

I have owned AVR's from Onkyo, Marantz, Rotel, NAD, Yamaha, and Denon. Not to mention alot of esoteric 2 channel gear. I've had problems with three of them. The Onkyo, NAD, and the Rotel. I know folks who deal in many other brands. I don't shop for audio gear at BB or CC but many of the folks who post here do. I haven't heard near the angst against any other brand of receiver (other than Sony) that I have against NAD and for good reason.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3058
Please don't take my last message as angry just clarifying that I did not just come upon the info I've shared here. It comes from my experience and the experience of others. I just hate to see anyone else get robbed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
So, what is going to give me the NAD sound? I really liked what I heard with that receiver. Will the Outlaw sound as good?
I respect your opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7468
Only a NAD will give the NAD sound. I have the T773 and it is absolutely wonderful in stereo, not so much in multi channel.

Outlaw sounds really good to me, slightly different vis a vis the NAD, not worse, not better, just different. But the interpretation is entirely up to you.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7469
Only a NAD will give the NAD sound. I have the T773 and it is absolutely wonderful in stereo, not so much in multi channel.

Outlaw sounds really good to me, slightly different vis a vis the NAD, not worse, not better, just different. But the interpretation is entirely up to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
there's a warmth about the sound that I liked with the NAD. The only thing that I heard it against was the aforementioned Pioneer Elite 72 and was night and day different IMO

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 918
Getting NAD seperates avoids any QC issues NAD has with their surround receivers.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/ht_amplifiers/T163_framset.htm

http://www.nadelectronics.com/ht_amplifiers/T973_framset.htm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3059
The Outlaw at a resonable price and Rotel at a higher price will have a quality sound which is actually better than the NAD sound to me. The Paradigm speakers just want good current and all three of the above brands deliver that. The NAD T743 doesnt have the juice that the other models have but can still handle the Titans. Now it's up to you to decide which works for you.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3061
BTW I agree with Bernie that only the NAD will give the NAD sound but there are other brands such as Outlaw that will give as good a sound but it will be different.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
God, I wish I could hear an Outlaw!
I posted a request in the Outlaw Forum for anyone that lives near me to let me listen to their Outlaw gear.
I'll keep you posted about my findings..
Thanks guys!

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 152
Coby,

Listen to the Rotel, if you like the Rotels, I think you will like the Outlaws. They sound very similar. See if there is a dealer nearby that carries both the NAD and Rotel and see if you can addition them with your Paradigms.

Outlaws are exceptional for the price. I do not know of any major quality issues with them. My Outlaws have served me well for over a year now and can really deliver the goods as far as dynamic, clarity and power.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 153
Coby,

Word of caution, if you do want to get the pre/pro from Outlaw, get the 990 if you can. Seems a few owners have had issues with the 970 due to software incompatibility with their DVD player or Cable box, or you can test this out within the 30 days trial.

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2209
The 970 and compatibility is just an issue of an upgradeable software vs a fixed one.
The upgradeable one needs to be , well, updated for unexpected inputs.

Get the 990 with dual bass management.

Username: Aldaraji

Vienna, Va Usa

Post Number: 5
please help me to get file for pansat2500a
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us