Reciever choice help, Yamaha, HK or Denon

Username: Bobcalkin

Post Number: 3
I'm looking for some feedback about a choice of receivers. My Pioneer VSX-D812 died last week and I need to replace it. I was never really happy with the Pioneer as it tended to have some distortion on highs and lows at loud volume which the Sony 5.1 model it replaced never did. Yesterday I found an open box special at Best Buy on a Yamaha 5860. Against better judgment I took the salesman's word that it was complete and undamaged, it was sealed in the box with a sticker which stated that it had been inspected. After making the 1 hour trip home I opened it and found that it was severely damaged and missing the remote and microphone . Anyway, I hooked it up so that I could at least demo the sound. Despite not being able to properly set it up due to the lack of remote I liked the sound. It was considerably cleaner and louder than the Pioneer. Since I have to return it and Best Buy doesn't have anymore I am going to shop a little more. I am considering another Yamaha 5860/90, HK AV240 and the Denon 1760. Here are my system specs:
Mains: Polk Monitor 60
Center: Polk CS1B
Surround R/L: Polk R15
Surround Back: Bose 141
Subwoofer: JBL 10" 100w

I have a 12 by 22 room and listen to mostly H/T. I listen to music but it usually 5.1 mix DVD's which I have large collection of. I live in the country and occasionally like to "feel" the music so power is important. I like a very clean sound and I hate any distortion. I am willing to give up some bass in order to have that. The Sony I had before the Pioneer was much cleaner and I am hoping to find something even cleaner. Before buying the Yamaha I demo'd the H/K at a local hi end store. At the time I wasn't impressed but it was in a large room with different speakers so it may have been deceiving. I was worried about the power specs (50W per channel) but have since read that this deceiving because H/K uses a more honest system of rating power. I have also read many positive reviews on the H/K. I have not yet heard the Denon. I have too keep my budget to under $500. Any feedback would be appreciated as I live an hour from the stores and don't want to make the trip too many times.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3823
With your HT usage and dislike of distortion I would normally recommend the digital switching Panasonic sa-xr55 ($230 and easily besting traditional analog receivers several several times its price), despite the inevitable booing and hissing this is likely to evoke from the peanut gallery around here.

BUT since I've yet to see a place that's not sold out of it (due to the upcoming release of the xr57 next month) I won't go into it too much.

JVC also makes a line of digital switching receivers but they have not enjoyed the kind of massive cult (Panasonic has done zero advertising for this model) following that the Panny has.

Here are some links if you care to read up on it:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Here's somebody who sold their $2500 Rotel 1095 receiver after listening to the $230 Panny:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6492921#post6492921

The $230 Panny would give you some left over change to upgrade your JBL sub...is it the e150? I used to have one, never stopped kicking myself for buying it.

Anyways, with a $500 budget I'd look at the HK refurbs from Harman Audio on eBay, you should be able to get a 435 or maybe even a 635 at that price. These are authorized factory refurbs with the full 3 year HK warranty and they have an excellent reputation for customer service. Or if you can go a little over budget, vanns.com has the 635 for $630 shipped.

The other option would be the Marantz receivers at accessories4less.com --- both new and Marantz-refurbed.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2191
Still shilling the shite, Eddy?
The link to someone selling their Rotel for a panasonic is an internet rumour.
I still offer 2 panasonic shitboxes for any Rotel amp.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3824
Hark, hark! The King of the Peanut Gallery cometh!

LOL

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 214
I too have heard a ton of positive comments and reviews on the digital Pannys. I want the XR57 which should be out soon I hope.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2325
Try it Rick.

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 78
I have to agree with Nuck....its like a soprano opera singer on steriods...you want a bright unit, go for it..if you like that kind a sound, you'll love the Panny...
To me it sounds like most other japanese equip. cold and bright... better grab a jacket and some shades...
;-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us