Replacement for HK 5000

Username: Randym50

Post Number: 3
Figured if i had a question, it may be better off in a new thread......so u can ignore my questions which i posted in another thread.

I have a 5 year old HK AVR5000 (510 in the US). Nothing wrong with it but i was thinking of an upgrade. The HK is great at HT but is not really that good in music. My music / HT split is probably 50:50. I got DefTech non-powered speakers and a CA 640C. The CA was a huge improvement over my Yamaha changer.

Guess the reason for my looking for an upgrade is my dad recently bought a NAD c320BEE/c542 with Kef Q5s and that really makes my system suck in comparison for music.

What could be a good AVR for me - i was looking at the HK 435 as an option (but its less powerful than my current one) as well as the NAD 753. The Cambridge 540R is a new one that i am considering as well. A friend suggested the HK digital amps though i never heard anyone talk of them earlier.

Bottom line is that im really confused which one to buy and if i really need to buy a new reciever at all!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 912
I'd add a power amp and see what level of improvement it will give with your speakers.

If you're not doing so already hook the CD player into the 6 CH DIRECT inputs of the HK, even though it's only 2 ch this made a huge improvement in my set-up. It will take full advantage of the audio processors in the 640C.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

couple of the above may be all you need.

Post Number: 4
dont want to sound ignorant, but how would a new power help in terms of sound quality? Isnt that dependent on the pre-amp?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3048
You're DefTech's and HK won't match up to his NAD and Kef gear for music no matter what you do to it.

As Kano said, I hope you are using the analog in's on the receiver and not the digital.

Best bet is to either combine a 2 channel system with a multi or scrap the multi and go all 2 channel.

Post Number: 5
yes, im using the analog inputs for the CD. I guess there isnt a multi channel amp at a reasonable price that would be able to do good 2 channel music?

And the DefTechs are not as highly rated as KEF?

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 916
DefTechs are a difficult load for an amp. The HK is a good quality receiver, you will have to spend a lot more to get a little more. I too own an HK (430), and was surprised at how much better my Polk Rti8s sounded with a 200W x 2 power amp running them, and those speakers are a lot easier to drive than your def techs.

I thought the main difference with more power would be at loud listening levels, even though my HK never ran out of power. In fact, I notice more of a difference at lower volume levels, the speakers really opened up and the musicality was much improved at all listening levels.

I'm not sure how much improvement a 2ch pre-amp would make, as I haven't gone that route yet, but I'd at least audition a good power amp to see if you notice an improvement.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3050
"And the DefTechs are not as highly rated as KEF?"

The DefTechs aren't nearly as good a speaker for music as the Kef Q or iQ range IMO.

Post Number: 7
Would a newer model HK be better? Or alternately the Cambrideg Azur 540r? The CA seems much smaller in size and weight though its rated as more powerful....

I dont really have space to add new componrents like power amps unfortunately.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 921
The difference would be negligible, IMO you need more power for those speakers to sound their best.

If you absolutely must have all your amps in a receiver something like the HK AVR7300 will do more for your speakers than most receivers on the market.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR%207300&status=

But considering you can get a power amp that will perform better into the front channels where you really only need it for much cheaper, I still think it's the best option. I've got mine sitting right underneath the receiver:

Upload

Post Number: 8
Thanks. That picture helped as i could do something similiar. Any suggestions on which power amps i could consider? I hear good things about Outlaw but unfortunately i dont live in the US/Canada.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 923
I have a second hand Yorkville AP800, it is a commercial amp I've been quite surprised with. The only thing it lacks is an auto power feature and it could be more pleasing to the eye.

Small gripes that equate to having to hear the fan start and stop when the system is off, I improved the way it looks by simply covering all the power lights with electrical tape.

It was originally purchased from a musical instrument store.

As far as where to look in the UK without spending a fortune... No idea.

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 156
Randy,

I think Kano suggestion will help.

A few questions to help us understand your situation:

1) What is your system lacking that makes your dad system sounds better? Treble, bass, details, soundstage, clarity, dynamics....?

2) Are your speakers placement optimum?

3) What cable size and length are you running to your fronts and rears?

4) Room configuration and size?

5) What are your speaker models?

6) What type of music do you like?

Thanks

Post Number: 9
Elderion,

i would say my system lacks the clarity, details and soundstage provided by the NAD/KEF combo. Its almost like it sounds 2 dimensional with no depth after listening to the other one. Treble/bass is not really an issue.

My speakers are quite optimally placed - about 10 feet apart at on end of the room slightly angled in towards the listening position.

Running about 6-8 feet each to the front speakers. Rears is more obviously - about 18-20 feet cable.

Room is rectangular - 14 feet by 11 feet with a 8-9 foot ceiling.

Using DefTech BP8Bs in front with a CLR2000 centre. They are non-powered bipolars.

Listen to Floyd, Tull, America, Dire Straits, maybe Purple and a bit of Billy Joel/ABBA thrown in occasionally.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 166
Randy,

Based on your music taste and description, I think Art is correct about getting new speakers.

Depending on your future speakers, I think the H/K will be ok if you add an external amp for music listening.

Good luck.

Post Number: 10
Thansk for the advice. Would a Rotel 2 channel power amp be a good addition? Ive heard a lot of good things about Rotel on this board and i know a place nearby that stocks them. Its probably cheaper for me to do that than to replace the speakers right now as i would have to replace 5 speakers.

And of course, the wife would throw a fit if i replaced the speakers - probably get away with adding a power amp without her noticing!

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 170
Rotels are very nice and would match well with your H/K and DefTech. The 1070 is great. The 1080 is even better and one of my favorite. See if you can borrow a "demo" unit to test on your home system. I think your Deftech will be much improve with the new amp.

Good luck.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 171
P.S. Check into the Outlaw monoblocks if you can, for about 60% of the 1080 price, you will get close to its performance. Unfortunately, they are a U.S. internet company.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I wish i cud buy the Outlaws as ive heard a lot about them in these forums. Unfortunately i dont live in the US of A.

My shortlist is now down to the NAD C272 and the Rotel 1070.

Any opinions on what would be a better bet with my DefTechs?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 185
Randy,

Have you gotten a chance to listen to them?

I think they are both good and should help some. Pick the one you think sounds the best to you. The NAD is generally regarded as warmer and heavier in the lows. The Rotel is more transparent and sharp, usually matches better with a larger range of speaker types. In your case with the DefTech and HK, I would pick the NAD, but in audio it's all personal preferences, so listen to your ears. :-)

Good Luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
The NAD is about US$ 125 more than Rotel. The NAD sound was more familiar to me as my Dad has a NAD but the Rotel did sound a bit cleaner though maybe a bit harsh?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us