Best receiver for paradigm mini monitors?

Username: Sonogong

Post Number: 2
The other day, I purchased a brand new set of paradigm mini-monitors and a marantz DV-8300 SACD/DVD player that I bought used. I am very new to the whole high-quality A/V scene, so I've been using a low end Yamaha htr-5640 A/V receiver. What receiver do you all think would well compliment a the paradigm speakers and marantz player? I'm looking for something under 800 if possible with accurate sound reproduction rather than power. I am probably going to use the system to listen to music moreso than movies.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3020
Outlaw and Rotel are very good matches for the Mini's. I would give their websites a look. If they are above the budget then I would suggest that the Marantz SR5600 (or the SR5700 if they've already moved on) or their 2 channel receiver would work very well (I'm not sure if you are looking for 2 channel or multi).

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2150
SQ rather than power, music more than movies, still not determined if stereo or multi channel...
If pre-owned is an option, and if $ permits juust a bit of a stretch, there are some nice tube amps available.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3023
I'm guessin' Mini's would work well with tubes, but I believe he's looking more toward AV gear. Not sure though. Movies still don't sound half bad in 2 channel.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 30
I just got a refurb'd Marantz 7500 for $639 shipped today and hooked up to my Paradigm Studio 20's it sounds incredible! I don't think you can go wrong w/ the marantz (especially since you've already got the cd/dvd player). this is my first marantz product and i couln't be more pleased w/ it. happy hunting!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 793
William's post is a great testament to how real power can make such an incredible difference in how a system sounds. Somehow, we have to get the word out about all these bad receivers with the wimpy power supplies from the mass market brands (the ususal suspects).

William, congrats on what is a fine sounding system. You have chosen well. Marantz, like Outlaw, NAD, Rotel, Pioneer Elite (but not Pioneer) and Harman/Kardon are all worthy brands that have real power to them.

Username: Sonogong

Post Number: 3
Do any of you all think its a bad idea to mix brands? (i.e. a marantz dvd player paired with a NAD receiver)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3045
It's not a bad idea to mix brands per se. It really depends on how the brands work together (synergy).

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7454
I don't think it is a bad idea. I have a Pioneer DVD player connected to a T773. Kenwood (don't laugh, my wife and I actually love the way it sounds:-))connected to Outlaw Audio mono blocks. Why would it be a bad idea?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us