Ultra Acoustic Systems.

Username: Pothealer

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I have two 125 Watt speakers. They are manf. by the above company and are specifically UA300. They have two buttons next to the tweeter which are defined as mid and high frequency driver (whilst I would guess that these would set the frequency drop-off to the high and mid range speakers, I don't know for sure), and a pretty frequency respone curve showing what looks like a desirable response, under what conditions I don't know. Therein lies the start of what I don't know about these speakers. I cannot find out anything about these devices or the company that made them. Has anybody heard of these or come across this brand.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 875
Found this ad with pictures.
http://portland.craigslist.org/ele/149537604.html
Are they buttons or knobs that you can rotate?

Post Number: 2
The speaker wire connection area is circular, and the (reset?) switch is red but apart from that that ad is a bang on copy of what I have. I'll have to fire off an email and see what the seller knows.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1130
I'm pretty sure those are White Van speakers. The have a striking resemblance to a pair that my father bought back in the late 80's/early 90's. Not a great picture, but here's the ones I'm referring to -

http://audioreview.com/mfr/acoustic-design/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_119009_159 4crx.aspx

My father's were known as Becker. He got scammed because being a foreign car mechanic, he thought they were the same Becker who makes OEM stereos for Mercedes. He still doesn't know he got scammed BTW. But that's another story.

Anyway, if they are another incarnation of the White Van speakers, forget about the adjustments. They're not going to do anything. Trust me.

If you've already got them, keep them as an outdoor party speaker. They actually don't sound half bad when outside. They sound worse than just about anything I've ever heard indoors. Read the reviews on the audioreview site, as bad as it sounds the complaints are too far off base.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 879
I wonder how far I'd get selling out of the back of my van.
?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 532
Depends what you're selling Tim - and how attractive your wares are to your target consumers.

And providing you're really cheap, of course!

:-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1131
Sorry, I meant the complaints are NOT too far off base. That kind of changes things a little bit.

Tim -
You may be onto something here. Can you make a speaker for about $20? Make up some fake brochures and invoices claiming that they're $5000 speakers. You should get $300 a pair at least. $280 isn't a bad profit if you sell a bunch of them.

Just watch out for the real White Van guys. I'm sure they won't appreciate someone moving in on their turf.

I can see it now... White Van salesmen wars.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1132
PS - Is your van white?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2126
It'll just be remembered as another tragic speaker-fuelled white van tire slashing.

Post Number: 3
Ha ha. Well I suspected as much, what with the chipboard cabinet, unmarked cones and knobs that change nothing to my ears. But free is good and they are a lot better than the LS-J6 Kenwoods they replaced.

Basically after years of procrastinating and not having any money I'm building myself a basic hi-fidelity setup, and reintroducing myself to high end audio that I used to drool over (and am again).

I picked up an entry level CDP (Cambridge Audio 540C) which I chose over NAD C521BEE because the later was bright in comparison and I could hear the CD spinning from the NAD C521, and the 640C was not enough of an improvement to justify the extra $.

I currently run this through a Kenwood (free again) KR-A4030 stereo Rx. Sound is vastly better than anything I have owned before. So a question, what would you guys recommend upgrading first AMP or Speakers? I heard the CDPs on B&Ws through a Rotel amp. Bear in mind it might be six months before I get one and a year before I get the other.

Oh and one last question ... anyone interested in pair of speakers? $200 bucks to you.

Post Number: 4
And it occurs to me to mention. I have those speakers standing on top of two milk crates. The sound improvement was dramatic. (small room).

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 880
"PS - Is your van white?"

Oh crap. No it's "magnesium" which is some name Chrysler made up for gray. Guess I'd better forget that idea.

"So a question, what would you guys recommend upgrading first AMP or Speakers?"

Well, from my perspective I think amp. Get a good one, then speakers to match. I just think it's a lot easier that way.

"And it occurs to me to mention. I have those speakers standing on top of two milk crates. The sound improvement was dramatic. (small room)."

Not exactly "mass loading" there eh?
Unless as a designer you don't care, part of the design process is taking off-axis measurements. This helps identify any problems that may not show up during the on-axis measurements. There can be huge swings on both the x and y axes. I'm guessing that by raising them up you got yourself closer to the vertical position that allows the better response performance.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1136
I think you should get a good pair of speakers first. I've seen some white van speakers reviewed professionally (can't remember who or where), and they said that the impedence swings and a few other specs they measured could damage an amp. Why potetnially damage a new amp?

Maybe they were wrong. Tim knows so much more about the technical stuff than I could ever imagine.

Does it make sense Tim?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 883
You have a valid point Stu.
I can't speak to that particular brand but there are a lot of re-branded speakers coming in from China under various names. Danny tested a pair and published the results on his website.
http://www.gr-research.com/dahlton.htm

I wouldn't want to connect them to my amp.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 884
Actually, that impedance measurement doesn't look like a problem but I won't vouch for other brands.

The rest of it......well....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1137
That's the review I was referring to Tim.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2134
I doubt that those #s would hurt a Rotel(as the OP mentioned) beyond protective shutdown.
I have not found the curves for the Psb Silvers, but I know they are fairly, uh, open to impressions, shall we say.
And if, by chance they do not work well, GPH is looking at 6 months, they will work that long,(at reasonable levels) enough time to try some online deals with return policies, or some products at the dealership.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1139
Let's say for the sake of arguement that your PSBs have enough of a swing to ruin your amp. In that even, you have a dealer and two manufacturers you can turn to for product replacement, repair, reimbursement, etc.

Where are you going to find the white van?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2137
I just saw it by the ATM at the 7-11.
Go quick, like a bunny!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2138
The same might be said for some online retailers and direct-to-marketers, although, fairly, a little reputation proves a lot for those business people.
Business people are far from the White Van Guys, BTW.

This comment is directed towards Stu,s last, not mine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us