Receivers for Bose Accostimas 10

Username: Sstawade

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
Hi
I too have purchsed Acoustimass 10 home entertainment speaker system and I am looking for a low on weight receivers which I can take out side country. Additionaly do not want to invest too much on receiver as I want an option to choose better one if I do not like this one.
My requirement is low weight and good sound quality. Not really bothered about number of inputs.

Can anybody please suggest.

I am a novice to home theatre systems and the ones bose offers with their LS systems are really cool. Can they be bought someplace?

Please advice.
Thanks
Satyajit

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 55
Satyajit, I really don't want to rain on your parade, as you are probaly very excited about your Bose purchase, but did you compare them with other speaker packages side by side?

As far as your question about a lightweight receiver with good sound quality, my opinion is that there is no such thing as the weight normally relates to the power supply and as a rule of thumb a lightweight power supply cannot deliver the current needed to produce good sound quality.

However do not let my cynicism concerning Bose and lightweight receivers put you off. If you are satisfied with your purchase, its your ears and your money.

A receiver that caused a lot of discussion on this forum is the Panasonic XR55 and should be fairly lightweight due to utilizing digital amplification.

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the response Abe. Unfortunately I came across this site after I purchased Bose and kind of disappointed reading the forums about the Bose. I guess I got carried away by the brand name.
But anyways, as I mentioned I am a not too much into sound and the techy frequency jargon, I may be Satisfied with it for a while till I get into details.

Thanks for your response on the receiver, but here's my problem. I plan to take these speakers outside the country and I may not have the luxury of carrying too much of weight. I got your point about the weight relating to power, but I was hoping I could get a sleek receiver like Bose LS which I could carry with me.

I guess I would buy the light weight receiver for the time being so that I can enjoy few months of my stay in the country and then think about buying a high quality receiver when I move out.

I heard Onkyo and Yamahaa are also the better brands that go with Bose. But couldn't really find a light weight receiver for both. I will do some research on Panasonic XR55 now.

I really appreciate your response.
Thanks and Regards
Satyajit

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 56
Don't worry, we have all made some mistakes in buying on impulse.

I understood your problem about a lightweight receiver as I assumed that you have to book this in as luggage on an airplane.

You will find quite a few threads on this site concerning the Panasonic. Some glorious reports and others not so flattering, but you will get a good idea of its capabilities.

All the best in your quest.

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 5
Thats quite comforting. Thanks.
Yes, I have to book this on an airplane and take it to India.
I will start looking for the Panasonic receiver reviews on this site.

I just have one question. India has a different power voltage specs. 220 V. I can get a voltage converter. Do you forsee any issues with that?

Thanks and Regards,
Satyajit

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 57
Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on using a voltage converter as I am in South Africa and we have 220V/50Hz instead of the US 110V/60Hz.

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 6
Thats Alright.
I think I am bit out of luck with the Panasonic XR55. I did little research and it just weighs 8.8 pounds. Exactly what I am looking for. But unfortunately its out of stock from all the stores I look for so far.
I will do some more research if it is available online.
Thanks again.
Satyajit

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 7
Hi Abe
Its me again. Sorry for being a pain and post you with so many quwstions. Now this question may sound a very stupid but pls bear with me.

What is the difference between analog and Digital inputs. Does XR55 only has digital inputs?

I am going to use thie receiver to connect to my television, DVD player , Music System and feed it with an input from my Laptop.

Will I be able to do all these things?

Please comment.
Thanks in advance.
-Satyajit

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 58
The way I understand it an analog input receives a signal that has already been processed by an external device such as a DVD player, CD player, Playstation using that device's internal decoders.

A digital signal is unprocessed and has to be decoded by the receiver.

The XR55 has digital amplifiers compared to the anolog amplifiers that most receivers have and due to the efficiency of these amps, the weight can be kept down.

From what I can see on the specs, the XR55 will be able to accept all the inputs you require as it has 7 audio inputs and 3 video inputs.

Oh yes, you are not a pain, okay :-)

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 59
Sorry I forgot to mention that digital inputs are coaxial and optical. The XR55 has 2 coax and two optical inputs.

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 8
Good Morning Abe (Probably its afernoon thata is SA)

Don't say that I am no pain else I keep bombarding you with more questions :-)

Jokes Apart, is there a place where I can read about receivers and what these terms mean. It will come very handy.

I guess I have one more questioned for you. I almost decided on buying XR55 but the problem is its not available in almost all the stores I checked. (infact very few offering it and it is out of stock)

So far I could only found it one online store and which is not a known store. That's making me little skeptical.

Are you aware if this is an old model and that's why Panasonic isn't offering it anymore? Or its just too much in demand?

I also got another option of Yamaha HTR-5830 Receiver which is available at a discounted rate in a good shop near you. It twice the weight and to me the specs sounds similar.

Was hoping if you could give me your opinion about the two models. If Yamaha is better than XR55 I might take it since its a known store and cheaper. I can always spend the savings on extra luggage I can carry :-)

Hope I am really not bothering you too much.

Thanks Again
Satyajit

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3779
I have the Panny and love it, though I have doubts about how it (or any good receiver) will sound with Bose speakers. The xr55 is very hard to come by since Panasonic is about to release the xr57 by the summer, and sales of the xr55 have gone through the roof by sheer word of mouth---zero advertising by Panasonic, really.

If I were you and had very limited time to buy something really lightweight and compact, I'd look at this Pioneer Elite digital receiver and DVD combination, which is an absolute bargain at just $273:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1229865/search=pioneer+d igital+receiver

The other real slimline digital receivers out there are made by Onkyo and JVC:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5002035/search=onkyo+dig ital+receiver

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__JVC_RX_D302B_Receiver,__8481808/search=jvc+digita l+receiver

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__JVC_RX_D202B_Receiver,__8428553/search=jvc+digita l+receiver

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 60
Hi Satyajit. The Yamaha is less powerful in real terms than the Panasonic, but will not be a bad buy.

I have not heard the Panasonic, but base my opinions on reviews I have read, so in that case it would probably be safer to go for the Yamaha.

The same model is also sold as the RX-V350 in other countries

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 61
Some good advice that Edster is offering as well.

I have been following the posts on this forum for a while and you will not make a mistake following his advice.

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 9
Hey Thanks both of you.
I will check these links out. I got to make a quick decision as I running out on time.
Thanks again.
-Satyajit

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 10
I may have to bother you again.
I decided on XR55S but unfortunately it's out of stock from all the online shops I could possibly check. :-(
And the wait time is approximately 3 weeks.
Now I am left with two choices, either go for Onkyo TX-LR552 or Yamaha HTR-5830.
Onkyo is light weight compared to Yamaha.
Its probably night time in SA hence not expecting response from Abe. But Edster, in case you get this message, please respond back.
Thanks again for all the help.
-Satyajit

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 935
"I decided on XR55S but unfortunately it's out of stock from all the online shops I could possibly check."

Did you buy all of the Edster? LOL I did a quick check and Satyajit seems to be right. Everyone is out of stock except for J&R in New York (Jr.com. That could mean an shortage in production or a discontinuation of the product.

Don't mean to steal your thread Satyajit, but Abe what equipment do you have access to in SA? I have family in Joburg and they are building a house. I'm affraid they will end up with a Bose system, if I don't get them some help soon.

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
No Problem Stof.
Jr.com also says its temporarily out of stock.
-Satyajit

Gold Member

Post Number: 3783
Satyajit,

I would go ahead and try that Pioneer Elite combo, but the Onkyo 552 isn't bad--not as good as the xr55 but should be better than the Yammie.

The JVC digitals I have read some mixed reviews about but have not heard them myself.

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 62
Hi Stof. We have access to almost all makes with the exception of Outlaw and maybe some others.

In JHB the selection is much, much wider than in Cape Town where I live.

Fortunately Bose is not very big here :-)

If you need some more info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 12
Thanks Edster
I finally placed an order for Onkyo 552. Mainly because its weight and price. It was the lightest next to XR55 and I also got a very good deal. Pioneer Elite was plus 20 pounds and I already have a DVD player.

Thanks all of you. I hope I can bother you in future if I have any questions. :-)

-Satyajit

Gold Member

Post Number: 3789
Cool. Tell us how you like the Onkyo when you get home.

Silver Member

Post Number: 939
"If you need some more info, please do not hesitate to ask."

Yes Abe stick your head out of the window and tell me if there is a spread hanging over Table Mountain :-) If you can attach a picture that would be great too.

I miss Cape Town very much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3791
satyajit,

btw I'm curious, how much did you pay for the 552?

I should've also suggested that you could've sold the Pioneer Elite DVD player and just taken the receiver back with you, it probably weighs in around 10lbs or less. I've never read any negative feedback about the Pioneer Elite products, that's all.

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 14
Oh I didnt know that option. Anyways, 552 looks very sleek.
It's cost is $189 but its a factory refurbished model and I bought it from ShopOnkyo. I didn't want to spend lot of money in case I am overweight while returning to India I may be giving it to a friend. In that case, I can always buy a good receiver without bothering too much about weight.

I will surely tell you all how it works with Bose but I probably will not notice much if there are any issues, since I haven't heard any other home theatre system to compare with. And there is quite a chance that I would be impressed with what I hear :-)

Best Regards
Satyajit

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 15
Hello Guys
I got my Onkyo receiver yesterday. I was a bit frustrating experience since they did not keep me informed about the order status and their web sites was down at times.

Anyways, I managed to connect my Bose speakers to Onkyo and the sound was quite good when I listened to FM.
I am bit confused connecting the DVD played though.

I have an old DVD player and it just has one set of output. Sound out L and R and Video o/p.

I tried connecting these outputs using a component video cable but that wouldn't work.

It worked when I connected Y out from DVD to Y in of MY TV and the other two to Aux In . But in that case I only heard human voices prominently from one of the surround speakers. Not really sure if I am making the right connections.
Would appreciate any help from you on this matter.

Thanks and Regards,
Satyajit

Silver Member

Post Number: 955
The red and white and yellow output from your DVD player is composit connection not component. You will have to use another input on your receiver such as auxiliary or some other composit.

You need to get a higher end DVD with a component output to get a high resolutio of DVD output.

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 16
Thanks Stof
I already have a DVD player back in India which has multiple choice of output.

If I need to connect the DVD I have here, do I need to use the RCA analog cable to connect the sount output of DVD to the receiver? In that case can i just connect the video out of DVD directly to the TV?

Please Advice.
Thanks and Regards
Satyajit

Silver Member

Post Number: 957
basically yes, unless you want to and your receiver has the ability to switch video as well in which case you can send the video signla through the receiver as well.

Bronze Member

Miamisburg, Ohio USA

Post Number: 17
Well the manusal says that I can route the video as well. I will give it a try.
Thanks again Stof. Appreciate your help.
Regards,
Satyajit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us