Sony or jbl?

Bronze Member
Username: Cptmorgan89

Post Number: 21
Hi, im only 17 and am looking for a decient sub that can shake the floor and provide good quality, for a reasonable price. i am set on either a sony sa-WX700 or JBL E250P.I know the sony has duel tens but im really leaning towards the JBL.

Thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 941
if you want quality, stay away from EITHER of these subs.

first, what is your budget?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
$200-$250. I know its a low budget but its all i have for now. Ill go with the bigger and badder audio when i have a good job :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
im also willing to go with the JBL S120PII. Its $320 and 400 watts. looks pretty good to me. what do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7391
Check out the HSU sub STF-1 or STF-2. A much better sub than the JBL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Those HSU woofers do look good. The only problem is that the STF-2 cost $400 and that would be the size and power im looking for. if i was going to spend that much i would definitly go with the mirage s12.
What do you guys think of the JBL S120pII, i did a search in the AVS forum and most of the stuff i read said that it was a great sub for $300. One guy even posted that he talked to a guy that worked at SVS and he said that it was one of the best subwoofers for $300.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3777
Nick,

you can get a b-stock STF-2 for $350 shipped or b-stock STF-1 for about $250 shipped if I remember correctly, just call hsuresearch.com directly and ask.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 942
if you can get the B-Stock subs from HSU Research, I would DEFINATLY give them a go!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7396
Agreed. I think Nick had his heart set on JBL, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Lol, im open to suggestions, i really do appriciate them. I am definitly considering The 12" HSU because i know that you all know better. Ive heard alot of great things about them. I went to bestbuy to try out the JBL E250P and for some reason, when i turned the gain up, the sub made a loud popping noise every time the bass hit. Is this because they are not using the line in jack?

Thanks Again!

P.S so your saying i should call direct and ask for the $350 deal? For the HSU.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 952
give them a call!

The FAQ states that they have B stock subs available, and if any arent in stock when you call, you can be placed on a waiting list for one. What do you have to lose from placing a phone call but better bass?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3785
The only 12" subs that Hsu makes are the STF-3 and VTF-3 which are extremely difficult to find any b-stock for, I know because I already asked many months ago and was told there's a huge waiting list.

The JBL e250 is reputed to be a clear improvement over the e150 which I used to have and I certainly hope it is because the e150 was absolutely horrendous---however I don't know just how bad or good the e250 is compared to other very-low-budget subs like the Dayton 12".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Ok, well from what ive also been reading about the quality of the HSU subs would make me assume that the 10" would also be able to go lower than the JBL S120PII. i was reading the sound and vision review on the jbl and it got ok marks. Its the low end bass im looking for and jbl doesnt look like it cuts it. it only hit 76db at 20hz and 86db at 25hz, while at 32hz it was 107db. The HSU subs all look like they can get in the 100db range with freq below 30 hz.
By the way, what does Stock-b mean? and also, how many db for a home subwoofer would be the range where it seems like your "enveloped" in the bass?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3788
> Its the low end bass im looking for and jbl doesnt look like it cuts it. it only hit 76db at 20hz and 86db at 25hz, while at 32hz it was 107db. The HSU subs all look like they can get in the 100db range with freq below 30 hz.

If you are looking for REALLY low bass when watching DVDs then check out the SVS PB10, which goes to 20Hz and in some rooms 15Hz. Drawbacks: very hard to get discounted b-stock and some people prefer the Hsu for music, which does not require much extension beneath 30-35Hz but does benefit from speed and accuracy.

> By the way, what does Stock-b mean?

anything that's not brand-new in a sealed box. This can mean it's been refurbed, or that it was returned for cosmetic reasons or simply because the buyer decided he needed a different model.

> and also, how many db for a home subwoofer would be the range where it seems like your "enveloped" in the bass?

Not sure, I'd think 80db and up would be sufficient for most people, but it's mainly going to depend on room accoustics and sub placement.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1395
Well if you are looking for rocking JBL professional sub bass unit to compliment your home cinema, look into this site hear, it's called (Future Projections) they sale second hand JBL professional subs like no one else.

All the drivers are replaced and approved after testing, and so if you happen to have £400,00 at hand, then I highly recommend this site, it is so choice.

Upload

Look for the JBL 4645-C if they don't have them on the list in the cinema PA section, then send them an Email, or telephone them, and ask which JBL professional subwoofers are available, and what are there prices, bare in mind your looking for used cinema subwoofers.

And just for the record, I'm using the JBL 4645 professional in my home cinema set-up, it's totally indispensable, in performance needs, down to 18Hz, and with a newer JBL sub bass driver 2240H, with high sensitivity of around 98db, sure there are others that are higher, but this fits the ticket for the room.

With high SPL db levels of up to 120dbC weighting, it's the only sub bass you'll ever need, and if you what more low end, just add another JBL 4645, and start to watch the windows move!

Future Projections home page
http://www.fproj.com/about.htm

Future Projections stage loudspeakers surround, and subwoofers and more
http://www.fproj.com/used/speakers.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 7412
umm, ah, let us try to keep it within his mentioned budget, shall we?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1397
Well this thread can go on for a few more weeks, buy which time he can add a $200,00 dollars more to his budget, where it will become more realized and the reality of purchasing a professional type will be more practical.

Rather then spending it on something, that most sound engineers wouldn't even go near with a ten foot barge pole!

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 970
still a useless suggestion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Thanks guys, im taking all of your suggestions into consideration and i appriciate your help. I didnt mean for the thread to turn into a big argument.

thanks again!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1399
Nick Schlueter

Well if you where around at my home cinema today, for the KING KONG six-track Dolby Stereo Digital surround-EX THX presentation, via the JBL sound system, you would like the sound and the feel of the (JBL 4645 professional), the deep roaring growl was on my chest and vibrating rumbling and jointing the home cinema BIG TIME!

Just thought you should know, anyway hope you find the right sub bass unit.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Lol, i can only hope that someday i get a decient job so i can afford higher end audio.

I made the choice and against all reason, decided to get the jbl. It was in my budget and, well it may not be the most bang for the buck, i think that it will suit me just fine for now.

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the help you guys gave me. I really couldent have expected much more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7470
WOW, well done Nick! You had a budget and you stuck with it. Shows great self-discipline.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The JBL, I have to say, is a pretty amazing sub. granted my old one was a klh, but still, this sub has no distortion that i can hear, it has very good power and can shake the house like i hoped it would. It sounds great during movies and for music. I did notice a big drop off at about 25 hertz but who needs anything lower than that anyways?
I have one more question, What should i set the gain level at? It seems that in order for me to be able to get that really enveloping bass during movies, that i have to turn the knob about 8/10 of the way up. Is this bad for the sub? Im assuming that if i dont hear it distort at that level ill be ok.
Also i dont have a very high end reciever and when i turn up the volume, at about the point the volume gets to be about -30db on the knob, the speakers get louder but the Bass stays at about the same level. is there a way i can adjust it so that the volume on the sub and the volume on thereciever match so that the sub is putting out its max volume when the reciever is?
I know its alot of questions so bear with me:-)

thanks

Nick Schlueter

Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 6
What is your guys opinions on Polk Audio's PSW12 Subwoofer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4025
Seems to have a $300 street price---for an extra $50 you can get a b-stock Hsu STF-2 from hsuresearch.com (shipped) that would eat it for lunch in every conceivable department.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us