Phono cartridge for Rotel/Spica combo

Username: Fagen

Post Number: 2
Hi. I'm hoping for good suggestions on a MM cartridge to match with my Rotel RA-02 amp and Spica TC-50 speakers. I'm currently using a Shure V15VxMR, and despite it's fairly satisfactory performance, I find that the upper midrange tends to sound forward, harsh and strained at times (I suspect due to the Rotel's character). The highs can also be on the crisp side at times, but its only minor compared to the mids. I was thinking of a Grado Ref. Sonata for the future, but it is way above the budget I had in mind (btw, do Grado's hum with AR turntables/Rega tonearms?).

I was hoping for a laid-back budget cartridge similar to the Shure but with no sign of brightness/forwardness, especially on the upper mids. I listen to a wide variety of music (mostly non-classical), and I am willing to sacrifice other tangents (such as headroom, etc.) as long as the end result is a well-matched and balanced system producing a reasonably good presentation without the shrill. Thanks!

(Jan, are you there?)

Post Number: 3
Just found out...the Grado Reference Sonata is a MC cartridge, so I meant something like the Grado Statement Platinum. I wondering if this cartridge would have better imaging, speed, and detail (esp. in the upper mids) compared to the Shure.

I could sure use some second opinions from those who know just the right MM cartridge to match my system for $300 or less. For now, the Grado is the main contender.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8196

The Grado line produces cartridges which are defined as "induced" moving magnets. They are not your typical MM cartridges as you find in the Shure. The moving mass of the cantilever/stylus is substantially reduced compared to the Shure designs. But it is not a moving coil and Grdao, to my knowledge, has never produced a MC and will never produce a MC cartridge.

The output of the Grados is higher than most high output MC's but slightly lower than most MM's. However, the sound of the Grados is generally considered to represent the best available in most price ranges. Of course, "best" is relative to what somewhat wants to hear so read about the Grados and decide whether they suit your system needs. The Grado is an excellent match with the Spicas. The Rotel is the slightly less compatable element here. The characteristic sound of the Rotel is somewhat at odds with what the Grado and the Spicas are doing. But you have the Rotel and it does some other things which benefit the Spicas. At the moment I can think of no other cartridge I would recommend more highly then the Grado though it will give a bit less than its best with the amp. (Grados most often love vacuum tubes.) That "bit less" should be barely noticeable and I think you'll find the combination to be quite listenable.

I don't remember any problems with the AR tables though I would try to contact Grado or inquire with the dealer as to specifics. Get a return/exchange guarantee if possible if you are still uncomfortable with the answer the dealer gives. Or, buy the cheapest Grado to try before investing in a top line model. Though they've added the wooden bodies to their line, to my knowledge the workings of all Grados will be the same in relation to hum pickup. The tonearm is not the issue here as it is the unshielded Grado design and the AC motor of the table that will generate the hum. The Rega arms are very good matches for the Grados however.

Should the Grados not work with the AR, I would then go to the Ortofon line. They are also induced magnetics and have a sound that, while not quite as seductive as the Grados, offers many of the same benefits. Get the medium mass Ortofon rather than the low mass OM line. The Ortofons have interchangeable stylus assemblies and buying a low priced cartridge allows you to upgrade the sound by replacing the stylus assembly only.

The Audio Technica line still has some good cartridges though these would be my last of the three choices; particularly with the Rotel.

Post Number: 4
Thank you Jan. Informative as always.

Unfortunately, I just got an email from Grado, saying that the AR would not be a good match for their cartridges. Damn! I had my heart set on it already. Looks like I'll have to go for an Ortofon. I haven't a clue yet which model I'm gonna go for since there are so many. Any suggestions for the ideal one to make up for the loss of possibilities with Grado?

In deciding on the Rotel, I already knew (and accepted) that this was gonna be the weakest link in the system. But for a secondary system that I won't get to use regularly, I think it was the logical and practical choice for all intents and purposes. There are some things I like about it, and some I don't...but overall, it barely made the grade and I can live with it. It's just the audiophile in me that refuses to leave it alone knowing that getting the right cartridge to match the system can still be possible. Such is the curse for spoiled ears.:-)

Post Number: 5
Ok...looking at the Ortofons, it looks like the 540 MkII is their top MM cartridge. This now becomes the cartridge of choice for my system.

Good thing you brought up alternatives, Jan. Too bad Grado's never solved their humming problems after all these years. IMHO, they could have dominated the budget phono cartridge market had they done so.

Anyway, unless there's anything more to add, I thank you for your valuable assistance.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8223

Nope. Your welcome.

Well, wait a minute. How are you going to align the cartridge? What sort of protractor do you use?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 750
Got another idea to throw out there. Why not try a tube phono preamp to get the kind of sound you're after. There's one made by Bellari that's relatively inexpensive. Using it into a line level input of the Rotel amp instead of using the Rotel's phono stage could improve the sound of your analog rig and possibly tame the harsh upper midrange that's bothering you.

Post Number: 6
Jan, I usually keep the protractors that come supplied with the past cartridges I've owned. They have served me well when I chose to align them myself.

Two Cents, thanks for throwing in your...uh...2 cents.:-) I've seen the Bellari on the needledoctor site, and it does look like a yummy looking product. I believe Jan mentioned that product as well in the past. Can that really be connected to a line level input? I thought they could only be connected to a phono input.

Gentlemen, before you let this thread go and move on, I'd like to share something I've failed to mention thus far. I still have my ol' Dynaco ST-70. Since the Rotel has a pre-out, I was thinking of getting the Dynaco serviced down the line and just use the Rotel as a pre-amp. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier. I know nothing about types of tubes, but if this would be my least costly option to get rid of the harsh mids (and save me from rushing for a new cartridge), please let me know. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 751
fagen,

A phono preamp should be connected to one of the amp's line level (aux or other) inputs. If you connect it to the phono input you'll get too much gain.

Post Number: 7
Hmmm...

Ok, 2cents. I'll look into it some more and consider it as an option.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8237

fagen - The Dyna amp is a classic piece of equipment. That's good and bad. It is my recommendation for anyone just getting interested in tubes. If you don't hear something in the ST70's sound that appeals to you, then tubes are probably not for you. But keep in mind it was a budget amplifier forty years ago. There are plenty of things a stock ST70 won't do even if its in good shape. The good news would be the basic circuit of the Dynaco amp is ripe for modification and the ST70 is the most modified amplifier in audio history. Good examples in prime condition still get a surprising dollar return and you can take a ST70 to almost any level of performance you would prefer.

I would certainly give the Dyna a chance in the system. It is not high powered but has more than enough for the Spicas. There will be some residual from the Rotel being inserted into the system but I think this might give you an idea of what you might want to listen for next time around. As I said, if you don't find something in the ST70's sound to like with the TC50's, then you probably should stick to solid state items more like the Rotel.

Just remember you are listening to a vintage amplifier and take its condition into account. Put "Dyna ST70" into a search engine for some ideas on what you can expect from a stock and a modified amplifier.

Post Number: 8
Jan - For the past few days, I have shifted my focus towards tubes as opposed to cartridges. I figured that I already have a cartridge that is considered to be "smooth", and the little differences another cartridge would make in sound may not be dramatic enough to remove the occasional mid-glare.

The Dyna I own was the original amp for my Spica's, and it was already modified (to what extent, i don't know) when I got it. Needless to say, the sound appealed to me instantly. I may have gotten spoiled with the sound, which is why I can't leave my system alone like "normal" people would. True, there will be residual from the Rotel this time, but I think the addition of tube electronics will still be more dramatic than the change a new cartridge alone would bring.

So here's what I'll do: I'll get the ST-70 working again and use the Rotel as a pre-amp. If I have problems in finding the tubes it needs, I'll still keep the ST-70 till I do, and get the Bellari instead. Best case scenario: The Rotel with both the ST-70 AND the Bellari.

I think this should do it, and I can now move on from here. All the advise given to me in here has been a big help. Thank you again! So Jan, have we finally brought closure to this thread?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8251

For now at least.

Post Number: 9
UPDATE:

I found somebody who could bring my ST-70 back to life. It was even modified some more to make it "smoother". Using the Rotel as a pre-amp, the tube amp made it's presence known instantly. With a pair of Van den Hul interconnects, I was enjoying my rig for about a week or two...until I noticed that the residue from the Rotel was still stronger than I wished, for there was still some unnecessary glare at times. At this point, I turned to the greatest audio gift ever given to me by a friend: a pair of MIT interconnects. Indeed, these cables just about "wiped-out" everything else that was still making me unhappy. In short, the mid-glare problem is at least 95% gone, and the remaining 5% only comes from recording peaks that sound more "understandable" rather than "unnecessary". No need for the Bellari now, for sure (whew!).

The problem is now solved, and I have been enjoying my system for the past few days (& nights). I admit there's a lesson to be learned here somewhere, but it's a good thing I was still able to salvage my phono rig into a combination I can now enjoy without any fatigue. Thanks to Jan, my new "tube guy", and to my friend who gave me his MIT cables, my LP's sound great once again!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8448

Good to hear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us