Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm wondering which of these would be the best choice for a Marantz 4600:

Axiom M3ti
B&W DM303
Athena AS-B2.2
Paradigm Titan
PSB Image 1B

I'm trying to move to quality smaller speakers from some older floorstanding JBLs. I have a Polk PSW 140 sub and a pair of Behringer monitors as surrounds. Kind of a hodgepodge I know, but any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm more interested in the fronts for music.

Thanks,

Darin

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3774
Athenas, but not sure if you need the B2s since you'll have a sub.

I'd get the AS-B1.2s from audioadvisor for $120 and save for a better sub...at least the Dayton from partsexpress.com ($145 shipped) if you're mainly an HT user, or a refurb Hsu STF-2 for $350 shipped (hsuresearch.com) if no. The smaller STF-1 is $250 refurbed if I'm not mistaken and would be great for music, or for HT in a small room.

Username: Dfields

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice on the B1s instead of the B2s. I was thinking I might apply the difference to getting the c1 center channel.

I'm gonna upgrade the sub a little later.

Thanks for the info.

DF

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 783
Darin:

I also like the Athenas for your receiver, but I also have a real soft spot in my heart for the B&W 303s, one of the best values in speakers today. IMO, they sound much better than the pricier 600s sold by B&W. So, either the B&Ws or the Athenas is a good choice, IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 937
I have the Axioms paired with a Marantz 8400. They are a bit on the bright side, but that complements the 8400 very well. If you are strictly looking for music repro, then go with the B&W's or Paradigm. If you are looking for HT the Axiom's will be great.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 393
I tried and returned the Axiom M50Ti. Their sound was colored. Tap the woofer (same in the M3ti) and that's the coloration I heard. They are over priced and the cherry finish is not realistic compared to real cherry wood furniture.

Username: Dfields

Post Number: 3
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I opted for the Athena B1s and the c1 center as well. A great deal for $280! Out of the box I was impressed and very happy. They are a great match for the Marantz.

I'll upgrade the sub next.

DF

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 794
Great to hear, Darin. Congrats and enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us