I did it! I actually ordered!

I was beginning to think that I would just research forever, but last night I ordered my new system. FYI (shipping included in prices):

Receiver:
Harman Kardon AVR225 ($350 at onecall.com)

Speakers:
Energy Take 5.2 ($675 at reliableaudiovideo.com)

I'm really psyched! I'll let everybody know when it arrives and I get it set up. I'm sure I'll have plenty of set-up questions.

I'm going to post this question on the DVD player board, but I noticed this one gets more traffic, so I'll ask it here too:

I need a 5-disc cd/dvd changer that plays mp3s. I will use it WAY more for music than for movies. I watch DVDs occasionally, but I honestly am not a big stickler for picture quality and such (I have an old-school 4:3 tv). I do care quite a bit about music quality, though, and mp3-playback-reliability. I was going to jump at the Panasonic CP72s, but I've read on a couple of threads now that it falls somewhat short when it comes to music. A couple of people have said that JVCs do a better job with music.

Anybody want to chime in here?

Hey Dave,

Congrats!

As for a really nice DVD A/V player, I'll recommend mine but I'm pretty sure it's a tad outside of the range you're trying to stay within (budgets stink...ugh!).

It's the Yamaha DVC 6480. It's a five disk changer. What really pushed me in it's direction (I paid $399, I just looked and saw it for $324 online) was the fact that it had 192khz/24bit Burr-Brown audio decoders. They are very, very nice and make for great music listening (which was also *very* high on my criteria list).

My system is basically used 80/20 in favor of music, so I was keen on gettng a nice DVD player that would have the best D/A (digi to analog) converters, have a quiet mechanism, decode MP3 and HDCD, and generally provide quality construction. The 6480 delivers really nice sound and I am very happy with it from the music perspective. It has also handled every bit rate MP3 I've thrown at it, though I haven't tried VBR (I'll check tonight on that).

Also on my list was having DCDi 3:2 pulldown for video (which the yam has) for eventual upgrade to a progressive scan-compatible HDTV (in the next few months). I know you mention that picture quality isn't a *huge* consideration right now, but for the few extra bucks, you're ready when you do upgrade i nthe future (and if you're on this board...you'll eventually upgrade ;-)

Again, this may be more than you care to spend, but I thought I'd let you know of a pretty good player in the Yam.

Keep shopping, you'll find what you're looking for..and congrats again!!

Let us know when everything is rigged up!

-h1st3r

Phil Krewer
Hey Dave,

What you picked sounds very nice and for that price you must have got a sub as well. I'd be interested to know what you end up with for a changer. The Yamaha H1 suggest is very good and has gotten good reviews from what I have seen. I use the DACs on my receiver and from that stand point my CD/DVD player is used basically as a transport. Good shopping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us