What is "Refurbished"?

Bronze Member
Username: Ruve

Post Number: 22
I have seen stuff labelled "refurbished" here and there and I have bought some. But they do look perfectly new inside out. I wonder if it is just a marketing trick to run overstock without hurting the general market price.

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 14
Here is an explanation:

http://www.spearitsound.com/refurbished.htm

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 892
Something that's already been "furbished"?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 1997
As I understand it, the refurbished units are warranteed as good as new, after repairs.
This raises a number of questions.
What was repaired?
How many times was this unit repaired? Manufacturers do not often give out replacement units unlessA) the unit is a repeat offender, or B) the unit has a known defect and needs to come home. IfB is correct, the unit will be returned in a known time span. If A is correct, who wants it?

The refurbished issue has been buzzing around in my head for awhile. Why was thus seemingly fine unit in the shop to begin with?

I'm starting to think Ruve is onto something here.
To supply so many internet dealers with 'refurbished' stock, A) it's a POS and who wants it, even cheap, or B) they could not sell them retail, or overanticipated market demand.
I'll go with B for the moment, units that were overproduced, or did not meet marketing expectations.
The units in question did not meet market expectations because A) they were overpriced for the segment, or B) they broke down and nobody wanted them.

Now we enter area B)A), overpriced units that nobody would, or could buy.
That's the one I would be looking for, not the mass produced well known product,I want the beauty "waiting in the weeds".

Bronze Member
Username: Stephen_m

Post Number: 15
Actually many manufacturers will give out a replacement unit within the first 30 days, and therefore of course end up with those initial units back. Once the original unit has been sold and installed it can no longer be sold as new whether there was a defect or not.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1085
It could also be a unit someone returned within the standard 30 days because they didn't like it, and not because it was faulty. If a product is returned for any reason it can't be resold as new, hence the 10% restocking fee that some places charge.

I'm pretty sure that all of the other reasons listed above are valid as well. Some people claim that every refurb unit has been fully tested and meets or exceeds factory specs. They claim that their is lees of a chance of problems because every one has been individually tested before it leaves rather than the random sample testing that a lot of companies use.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1086
Just as in everything else, I'm sure their are some great dealers that sell reburb units (I heard nothing but good things about Spearit Sound), and their are some pretty shady ones (I've heard nothing but complaints about American Theater). I wouldn't buy one without talking to the person selling it and knowing what they will do in the event of a problem, and then researching the company.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2011
'IF' the dealer offers 30 day 'no hassle'.
Some dealers do not do this, and some better ones tell the customer 'it will take a month or two to work in', but that puts the calender out of date.
I dunno...still 'waiting in the weeds'.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1091
I too have always gotten a kick out of how gear 'will take a month or two to fully break in,' which so happens to be just a little longer than the return policy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
The only reason to give the 'month or two break in' reply is if the concern is sound quality, and a good dealer will take it back beyond 30 days if they've recomended that the user take the extra time.

Personally, my worries would be less about refurbished or not and more about the dealer being authorized. Of course there are certain things I wouldn't buy over the internet, especially if the manufacturer frowns on that practice.

To each his own I guess.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1096
A good dealer will do whatever is reasonably possible to make an honest customer happy. Their's no substitute for that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2018
Yup, Stu, no replacing a good dealer whom you can visit when you want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Agreed!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Believe me, I used to buy many computer components refurbished on-line. And they are usually packed in a plain white carton with an explicitly reduced warranty. These are the truly refurbished - there are indicators that they have been used before!

I have bought refurbished audio equipment from the Internet. Surprisingly, they come in a original new box with the original 2-yr warranty card although the website claimed the refurbished is warranted for 1-yr only. So where is the difference? It looks and acts just as brand-new.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2045
Ruve, if the piece is from a 'better brand' the thing may have been replaced outright with one defect.
From more pedestrian makers, I am still skeptical.
I can find enough problems on my own, I do not need to buy more.

That and 2 bucks will buy you a coffee.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
My question is from where I can tell it is refurbished if the store did not list it as "refurbished".

There is no label or sticker anyway on the box or the equipment that indicates so. My concern is that if this really has been refurbished and a dishonest seller fails to declare so, it can be passed along as new!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2071
Visit a reputable dealer.
If you may even question if the unit may be used, you are not at the right dealership.

Username: Sonic2367

Newport News, VA US

Post Number: 5
I have bought over the net an Audigy2 sound card from Creative store. Price - 1/3 of market.
The product came in a white box, with the original CD and cables. The gold PCI pins where untoched (you cannot use that card without leaving marks there). The card looks and smells brand-new.
I really think thatmost of the time is a convenient way to sell the overstock without lowering the general price.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1105
"My question is from where I can tell it is refurbished if the store did not list it as "refurbished."

If you have serious concerns, you could contact the manufacturer and ask. They should be able to run the serial number and determine if it has been refurbished, or any other pertinent information.

Also, I think when you register a product for warantee purposes, the manufacturer will know the history of the unit, if any.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 778
I think it bears repeating some information I was saw from an industry association. The failure rate of 'refurbished"products is on the order of 1/20th that of products sold as "new." I believe if you have a refurb available to you, it is almost always the better way to go. Usually, the differences in the warranty can be made up by buying an extended warranty and you still get the substantial savings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us